Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

TMP was commissioned by the studios as a response to Star Wars

This is essentially half-true. Yes, there was some jealousy at Star Wars, and the famous anecdote of Michael Eisner raising his hands during a screening of Close Encounters and screaming, "Jesus Christ, this could have been us!", but the only reason TMP because a movie was because Charlie Bluhdorn shut down the plans for Paramount to launch a fourth network in mid-1977. The decision to become a theatrical movie didn't happen until either the end of 1977 or very early 1978, at which point Bob Collins was still attached to direct.

sean10mm posted:

V is a mess but less bad than you probably remember (though it is at least as cheap looking as you remember...)

It always amuses me when people call TFF cheap, when it was, by a not-insignificant amount, the most expensive of the TOS movies. It wasn't that they didn't have money, it was that Harve Bennett and Ralph Winter spent it badly.

davidspackage posted:

It was really pathetic when the fact that Cumberbatch played Khan leaked, and the cast and crew had to go "no it's not!!"

The thing is, everyone knew they were going to go with Khan, because it had already been reported in the trades that Benicio del Toro had been in talks, but walked away because they lowballed him on salary.

Timby fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drunkboxer posted:

How much money does it cost to make love to a mountain?

Basically, the production was extremely rushed, due to a WGA strike, the conclusion of which left David Loughery only about a month to write the script. Then right as they're getting ready to begin their location shooting in late October 1988 (remember, this is an effects-heavy film that had to meet a June 1989 release date), the Teamsters went on strike which further delayed things. Which resulted in a badly accelerated shooting schedule, meaning more time on set, meaning people have to be paid more.

To make matters worse, the selected effects firm, Associates & Ferren (which had been hand-picked by Winter and Bennett after ILM and Bennett didn't really get along on The Voyage Home; the story that they didn't have the capacity to do the work has been pretty thoroughly debunked), upon taking delivery of the Enterprise and Bird of Prey models from ILm, promptly lost their poo poo. Why? Because they had a motion-control track that was only half as long as needed in order to actually shoot the models. So that caused a long delay in effects shooting and a lot of hours worked billed at rush rates, especially because the ending had to be re-jiggered after the Rockman prop didn't work out.

There were also a handful of re-shoots near the end of post-production, which again adds more cost.

Again, they had money--at $35 million, it was the most expensive of the TOS movies. They just spent it really, really poorly.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

They went all-in on the Excelsior, which they designed and built, because they thought it was going to become the new main ship.

And that was Harve Bennett's original plan. But while Roddenberry had absolutely no control over the movies anymore, he was allowed to read and submit notes on every script draft. When he found out about the plan to whack the Enterprise, he blew a gasket and leaked it to the fanzines (just as he had leaked Spock's death). When he read the draft of IV that had the crew moving to the Exelsior, he practically had a coronary and leaked that, too, and Bennett ultimately bent to the fan uproar and went with the NCC-1701-A concept.

I can only imagine Ralston went, "Aw, son of a bitch" when he saw that revision.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

In all "fairness" the character that Cumberbatch was playing changed several time after he was cast. It's not an excuse, but you can see how the filmmakers got there without actively setting out to whitewash the character. But then, you know, don't decide to make it Kahn at some point during shooting.

At the time he was cast, it was Khan. The script was ready to go.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

You know, I was going to push back on that saying that I heard it from someone in the position to know, but in retrospect I realize they were probably just lied to during production for secrecy purposes.

The only change made was that Khan's alias was John Erickson, which would have been a deep cut into the lore. After shooting, it was decided to change it to Harrison, so everyone had to do quite a bit of ADR.

But anyway, it was Khan as far back as when they were screen-testing Benicio del Toro until he told them to pound sand.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Golden Gael posted:

Star Trek Beyond
It's one of my most memorable filmgoing experiences aside from seeing Star Trek 2009 (again as a teenager). We marathoned the first two Kelvin movies in the day because it was summer and I had a university job I could book the day off for. I remember getting a bit loaded and having my more sensible friends drive to see the 50th anniversary movie - it really felt like an event. Weird poo poo went on that day though; the first theatre we went to had a power outage to the dismay of most fans. There was a fat guy dressed as a Klingon who QeH'd out about it. The second theatre on the other side of town had an unrelated power outage, so we had no choice but to see it at the drive-in which proved to be the best option. And what a treat. I was a bit let down by the promise of more philosophical Trek (mainly because Krall just straight up dies at the end instead of a work-together-after-the-Kirk-speech moment) but it really was a tour de force in all other regards. All the characters were pretty useful, the alien lady was awesome, and I liked the way the planet looked. A solid entry.

Beyond is a movie that I simultaneously love, while at the same time it really annoys me. The effects are great (the death of the Enterprise is so brutal that I had tears in my eyes in the theater; my then-wife had to squeeze my hand during the whole thing), the story generally makes sense, I like how it ties back to Enterprise ... but did we really need a third straight movie about Kirk's daddy issues? I mean, really?

Also, it committed the same sin that Thor 2 did: Cast a world-class actor as the villain, then put him under 20 pounds of foam latex and have 95 percent of his dialogue be alien gibberish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drunkboxer posted:

So that’s where my dad buys those blue shirts from

I own more polo-style shirts than I care to admit.

Never have I ever worn one with a starched collar.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wasn't the movie after Beyond supposed to be about that and (possibly) resolve them? The talks with Hemsworth and Pine broke down because the studio wouldn't agree to their prices.

I'm waiting for a haircut but yes. I'll expand when I get home.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timby posted:

I'm waiting for a haircut but yes. I'll expand when I get home.

Almost forgot I promised this.

Anyway. The script for Star Trek 4 was essentially a recycled version of the script for 3 that got Bob Orci and his two bobos summarily fired. Some renegade Vulcans got their hands on some leftover red matter from the Narada (don't ask me how), and they intended to detonate it in an attempt to restore the original timeline and bring back Vulcan. The Enterprise is dispatched to intervene. Kirk has a crisis of conscience and thinks maybe it would be better that way, because then he'd know his dad. ShatnerKirk and HemsworthKirk show up to talk him through his bullshit, and through some weird time distortion fuckery, HemsworthKirk actually winds up fighting alongside PineKirk to stop the renegades.

Then Paramount lowballed Chris Hemsworth and the whole thing fell apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drunkboxer posted:

*chomps cigar producerishly*

But how can you have Star Track without Mister Spock???

That was actually one of the reasons The Motion Picture was held up for so long. Paramount was refusing to give a green light to the movie without Nimoy's involvement, but Nimoy was in the middle of a very nasty lawsuit against Gulf + Western and Gene Roddenberry, over the use of his likeness without getting any residuals (one of the big kickers was a series of Heineken ads that had Spock chugging beer).

Eventually, Bob Wise went over to Nimoy's house and made a plea to get him to do the movie. Nimoy thought about it and finally called his agent and said, "Don't do anything crazy. Just get me the same deal Shatner got." Hence the favored-nation clause that lasted through the movies.