Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I grew up with TNG, DS9 and Voyager, so I didn't care for the original movies much. Watching some episodes of the original series later in life and then going through the film series one by one made me appreciate them so much more for all the character work. Even the lesser films get plenty of that, though I feel like Uhura, Chekov and Scotty routinely get shafted as (bad) comedy sidekicks.

TNG made a wonky start in films with Generations, which is like half a really great, cinematic Star Trek film and half poorly conceived TV episode.

First Contact should've probably been the first TNG movie, where events bring Ben Sisko onto the Enterprise with Worf, and in the end Sisko and Picard duke out all their problems until Picard agrees to blow up the Enterprise D to stop the Borg and does it, saying goodbye to a ship he actually has a history with instead of the new hotness.

The less said about Insurrection and Nemesis, the better.

2009's Star Trek is still a really fun movie, even though watching the behind the scenes stuff now make me notice the plotholes and missing scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It was really pathetic when the fact that Cumberbatch played Khan leaked, and the cast and crew had to go "no it's not!!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't know how Cumberbatch, who is known for his deep voice, managed to sound like a kid trying to sound tough. He was alright at the action scenes, but he seemed lost at chewing scenery.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It also has a really great soundtrack. I still find it very fun to watch even though I'll readily admit it's a mess. On my first watch I was kind of confused because they entirely cut out what happens to Nero between the moment Kirk's dad rams his ship and when he returns.