Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I mostly agree with pretty much every take in the OP (except for V, which I still think is pretty bad). The only RLM review on Trek I saw was when the 2009 movie came out, and yeah they didn't really give the TNG movies enough credit. Especially First Contact which is a fan favorite. They also said in that review that the TNG episode Parallels was the worst episode of Star Trek ever and that's sort of a classic so I don't know if I really trust their opinion on Trek. It's also weird that everyone was framing the 2009 movie as a new direction when it was a soft reboot using the same characters and telling a story that was structurally Wrath of Khan again. It's a fine action movie but those Abrams movies are creatively bankrupt.

I did a letterboxd ranking of them pretty recently:

https://letterboxd.com/drunkboxer/list/star-trek-films-ranked/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah, Beyond has a lot of problems and I felt pretty embarrassed watching it but I do kind of have positive feelings towards it because of how bad Into Darkness was. Also my brain's broken and even if I think it's the 3rd worst one I still kind of like it because its Trek. Nemesis and Into Darkness are the only ones I truly hate.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

I love into darkness, it's one of the best ones imo

It's at least as good as wrath, which is a bit overrated. Plus the brown face is a little yikes, is it not?

I mean, it's a pretty weird take to criticize Wrath for brown face and not Into Darkness. The dudes name is loving Benedict Cumberbatch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timby posted:

It always amuses me when people call TFF cheap, when it was, by a not-insignificant amount, the most expensive of the TOS movies. It wasn't that they didn't have money, it was that Harve Bennett and Ralph Winter spent it badly.

How much money does it cost to make love to a mountain?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

So that’s where my dad buys those blue shirts from

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Timby posted:

I own more polo-style shirts than I care to admit.

Never have I ever worn one with a starched collar.

It's more about the fabric and color of that specific Shatner shirt. I swear my dad has like 4 of those. They're probably from the 70s, he wears a collared shirt like once a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Sounds awful. The entire universe continuing to revolve around Kirk and Spock and the Enterprise is so loving lame.

*chomps cigar producerishly*

But how can you have Star Track without Mister Spock???