Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I must have some bad opinions about Star Trek because I like all the original 6 movies to some degree (Motion Picture being my favourite, but I'll get into that later) and hate all the TNG movies. Not entirely for the RLM reasons although I can't disagree with most of the tiny nitpicking after going back and rewatching TNG. I don't really want to talk about what I hate however so I'm just going to pick three of my favourites and run with thoughts.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
It's all the weird science fiction things I loved about the original series packed into a long drawn out movie. I like long drawn out movies if they have an enjoyable pace. I saw it on VHS in high school after watching reruns of the old show for about a year, and everything from the Sonak (not Xon) death to the three middle aged guys getting together after a decade to do everything again plot. I don't know if I want to call it a lot of fun, but the things like that big bright probe beam on the bridge, the wormhole asteroid, and the final spacewalk on the hexagonal things at the end all stick out to me as favourite science fiction moments. I did see 2001 around this time, but being a pretty green teenager when it comes to movies I appreciated many more of the philosophical things that cropped up with a bunch of familiar faces than a weird movie about black rectangles and monkeys at the time. I do love 2001 though now that I've been around the track a few times with both good and bad movies.

Star Trek Beyond
It's one of my most memorable filmgoing experiences aside from seeing Star Trek 2009 (again as a teenager). We marathoned the first two Kelvin movies in the day because it was summer and I had a university job I could book the day off for. I remember getting a bit loaded and having my more sensible friends drive to see the 50th anniversary movie - it really felt like an event. Weird poo poo went on that day though; the first theatre we went to had a power outage to the dismay of most fans. There was a fat guy dressed as a Klingon who QeH'd out about it. The second theatre on the other side of town had an unrelated power outage, so we had no choice but to see it at the drive-in which proved to be the best option. And what a treat. I was a bit let down by the promise of more philosophical Trek (mainly because Krall just straight up dies at the end instead of a work-together-after-the-Kirk-speech moment) but it really was a tour de force in all other regards. All the characters were pretty useful, the alien lady was awesome, and I liked the way the planet looked. A solid entry.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
It's been a while since I've seen this one but I've always had a fondness for some of the more outlandish ideas. I really liked the Nimbus III/Paradise City planet and its aesthetic. I seem to remember it had some trippy TV commercials or something on the viewscreens in a bar. St. John Talbot is one of my favourite bit characters from the movies because he flies in the face of the more pure world of TNG which I believe was already on TV for a while by the time this came out. Anyways, I liked seeing the rough-and-tumbles of the Star Trek universe like the rear end in a top hat miners on that colony Kirk and the gang visited in early TOS. Other than that the movie has some enjoyable moments, a silly but still worthy plot for the Star Trek storyline, and a few neat insights into the trio. I like it when Spock introduces previously unmentioned relatives because it's so in character for a guy that tried dodging the fact that his dad is a bigshot ambassador to his best friend. The execution is a bit flimsy sometimes but I can't really fault my man Bill for that one, I think the guy really did want something grandiose especially to follow up with Nimoy's hit. Their mistake was trying to recreate the humour of the previous movie when I think they should have gone in more of a black comedy direction. It's certainly not the best one, but it's one of the most memorable. I have to be in the mood for it, mind; it really is the 'Godzilla vs Hedorah' of the Star Treks in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

but did we really need a third straight movie about Kirk's daddy issues? I mean, really?
While I can kind of understand the feeling that it's tired, I don't remember much of it in STID. If anything maybe they should have played up Kirk being taken under the wing of Marcus after Pike dies because he's again without a father figure, and had him be somewhat groomed towards a more hardass approach with Khan, then held up a mirror to the shattered relationship between Marcus and his daughter. Would have been a lot stronger.

I do think Beyond added some of that in there as a reflection of this being the franchise 50th movie - also kind of a middle finger to JJ by saying "all that old Star Track [TOS] is dead and we're now further into the five year mission than the show got so it's time to do some new things that aren't Khan or the Romulans".

Then they did pretty much the same thing anyways, although this revenge plot was better than the Khan one. Maybe on par with the Nero one. Again I like the working class stiffs of the Star Trek universe getting to interact with the crazy advanced technology we take for granted always being on Federation flagships for the shows.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

That's one movie I'm glad we dodged. It's not really a realistic resolution to overcoming daddy issues if Q just shows up, snaps his fingers and daddy's back for you to have a fireside chat before he goes away again. And I doubt we would have gotten something on the level of Tapestry.

I think they did it proper with the ghost of George Kirk looming over Kirk's head especially as he moves into more and more directionless space missions long after his "save Earth" thing got old. Not literally of course, but maybe a Catspaw movie wouldn't be the worst idea to come out of the film franchise.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Gatts posted:

All the JJ Treks are terrible. Utterly terrible. They are offensive as is he as a director, extremely limited and half assed lazy product just made shiny without substance. He is poison to anything he touches.

All 6 original Trek movies hold value and contribute something to cinema or the franchise. The TNG Treks less so. I would have loved a DS9 movie series, it had more ripe ground to set something up and establish a wonderous setting aftermath of the Dominion War.

JJ Treks are better than any of the TNG flicks because at the very least they move fast. It's like being on a car ride somewhere you don't want to go but at least the scenery goes by quick enough you don't have time to stop and think about why it sucks.

Beyond is good Star Trek. This thread got me rewatching TMP last night and god I love that movie.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

JJ is a bad filmmaker and Kurtzman/Orci are bad writers. It's a wonder 2009 turned out as decent as it did.

That said, I can't find too much redeemable about the TNG movies because they try to be action-y but are just boring. I also realise the irony that my favourite Star Trek movie is the boring one, but it's a contemplative kind of boring for me and I enjoy the slice-of-life-esque moments like the chaos on the bridge when Kirk first arrives. Say what you will about the original six movies, but they're all totally unique from one another.