Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Cool; this is my kind of thread! The original series movies were a huge part of my childhood; lots of fond memories of watching them as a kid. I didn't actually watch the TNG ones until much later, when I was an adult (and I generally wasn't missing much).

Detective No. 27 posted:

Star Trek: First Contact
Another one that was much better than RLM makes it out to be. I'm still not keen on the idea of a Borg Queen, I think it robs the Borg of of their terror if there's one big bad to kill, but whatever, that's the movie they made, and it's an entertaining one. Picard grapples with PTSD. This one gets flack for Picard's inconsistent characterization between the series and movies, but I can't really find a problem with it. Why would anyone complain about seeing Patrick Stewart mow down cybermen with a Tommy Gun?

It's a pet peeve of mine when fans say that movie Picard is out of step with series Picard. That's not true at all if you watch his entire Borg character arc. PTSD isn't a neat process that gets wrapped up and never heard from again; it's entirely true to life for there to be a regression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

piratepilates posted:

Did anyone earnestly enjoy Into Darkness? I haven’t seen it since release, but I can’t remember anything particularly noteworthy about it. Looking back, it seemed to be the worst parts of J. Jabrams’ tendency to take existing material, shift around parts, and then zig where the original zagged (Kirk dies instead of Spock [but he lives anyway!], Khan is good instead of bad, etc.).

I’ve barely seen people discuss it since it came out, I’ve read plenty of discourse about the 09, about Beyond, about the TNG movies and the TOS movies, but ID is the one that seems to have sank like a dead mobster in the open waters of collective consciousness.

People have discussed it, but usually to talk about how much it sucked and the fact that it cribbed so much from Wrath of Khan.

The plot point you mentioned was especially egregious. At least in Wrath of Khan there was a period where you weren't sure if Spock would even be coming back. It took two years and another movie for him to come back, and Kirk had to sacrifice his career, his ship and his son to do it. In Into Darkness, "magic blood" does it in, like, five minutes, which made the entire exercise pointless to begin with..

(Spoilers for people who might not have watched it yet.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's not the PTSD that is the issue. It's the clear transformation from Picard the diplomat to Jean-Luc "Die Hard" Picard. It was something that Patrick Stewart specifically wanted. He wanted more action poo poo to do in the movies, which is why you get stuff like Picard driving a space ATV on a space desert. Which is fine, the guy can do what he wants, but it definitely goes contrary to the character.

The holodeck scene (and the ATV one in Nemesis) was over the top, but the reason Picard was so gung ho in that movie was that he had internalized (? not sure if that's the right word for it) the Borg attack on the Enterprise. To him, it was like his body being invaded by the Borg all over again, and that caused him the change from diplomat Picard to Die Hard Picard (in my opinion).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I want to like TMP. It has one of the best soundtracks of any of the movies and there are some cool parts in it. But the movie is so serious and antiseptic that not very much happens for long stretches of screen time, and I don't typically mind movies that take their time to tell a story (I'm a huge fan of 2001).

Plus, those footie pajama uniforms are....something.