Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Did anyone earnestly enjoy Into Darkness? I haven’t seen it since release, but I can’t remember anything particularly noteworthy about it. Looking back, it seemed to be the worst parts of J. Jabrams’ tendency to take existing material, shift around parts, and then zig where the original zagged (Kirk dies instead of Spock [but he lives anyway!], Khan is good instead of bad, etc.).

I’ve barely seen people discuss it since it came out, I’ve read plenty of discourse about the 09, about Beyond, about the TNG movies and the TOS movies, but ID is the one that seems to have sank like a dead mobster in the open waters of collective consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

That strikes me as a quirky part of the TNG movies vs the TOS movies. By the time the TNG movies were being made, they already had a handful of TV movies (i.e. 2 parters) with a variety of wacky plots.

You’ve got the one where Picard is on a commando mission and gets captured, the one where Picard is on an undercover Indiana Jones mission and gets captured, the one where they’re just chilling with Mark Twain for a while, the one with the Klingon civil war, the one with the Romulan near-reunification, the one with Borg individualism or whatever(I’ll be honest, it’s been a long, long time since I’ve seen descent).

They’ve wrapped up 7 seasons of a show, AND 10 feature length episodes, AND an ending to the series that wraps up everything exactly the way you want. Then it’s time to make the movies, starting with another ending to the show (Generations), and then proceeding through unused episode scripts.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

sponges posted:

I’ve always loved TMP. It’s the kind of slow burn boring sci fi that I love.

It’s such an odd collection of ideas and slow atmospheric scenes. I can’t say it’s not slow, and I can’t say it’s for everyone, but there’s so many odd parts that are unique to the movie that I can’t help but enjoy it.

Really love that random person being horrifically mutilated by the transporter, and that’s not even part of any of the conflict — that’s just a random OSHA incident at the start of the movie.

Edit: take this, page 2!

https://youtu.be/tQ9VIswgcU4

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Laughing Zealot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMQTzYp756o

Seeing this on the big screen back in the day must have been so mindblowing.

I think TMP, and to some extent WOK, are the two that best capture that “holy poo poo, they’re in a movie” feeling. Going from a cheap-ish 60s network show to a very expensive capital-m movie.