Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture
I've seen this one once, a few years ago. It was super ambitious. It came out on the heels of 2001 A Space Odyssey and really feels like it. I'm due for a rewatch. This was Star Trek's grand return from cancellation, so from what I understand, many of the slow, lingering shots of the Enterprise were welcomed. I'm due for a rewatch.

Star Trek: TMP was released 11 years after 2001: A Space Odyssey. Not sure how that's 'on the heels.' TMP was really more of a response to Star Wars. The original plan was a new TV show to air on a new network run by Paramount (sound familiar). There were scripts (some of these were used in TNG), new characters were cast, etc. It was basically a done deal. Then Star Wars came out and made 1000 bajillion dollars so Paramount turned it into a feature film instead. Overall, the movie is sort of a mix of Star Trek, Star Wars, and 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Cool; this is my kind of thread! The original series movies were a huge part of my childhood; lots of fond memories of watching them as a kid. I didn't actually watch the TNG ones until much later, when I was an adult (and I generally wasn't missing much).

It's a pet peeve of mine when fans say that movie Picard is out of step with series Picard. That's not true at all if you watch his entire Borg character arc. PTSD isn't a neat process that gets wrapped up and never heard from again; it's entirely true to life for there to be a regression.

It's not the PTSD that is the issue. It's the clear transformation from Picard the diplomat to Jean-Luc "Die Hard" Picard. It was something that Patrick Stewart specifically wanted. He wanted more action poo poo to do in the movies, which is why you get stuff like Picard driving a space ATV on a space desert. Which is fine, the guy can do what he wants, but it definitely goes contrary to the character.

The TOS movies are always weird for me to evaluate because several of them are bad as movies, but as pieces of Star Trek, they're ok. There's always something in them that's enjoyable. Like, 5 is straight up a bad movie, but the camping stuff is fun because you get that fun little slice of life with the trio. "What does God want with a starship" is a good line but that whole sequence on the planet is awful.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's that episode where Picard single handedly fights a crew trying to steal the Enterprise while it's about to get space bug bombed that I would exactly call a Die Hard episode of TNG.

It's not the action stuff that's the problem. TNG did it other times as well. The 4 lights episode had Picard and Crusher, two old people, and Worf go on a black ops mission for some reason. The issue is the clear difference in characterization of Picard in Star Treks 8-10.