Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
TMP has very wonky pacing, but it also looks and sounds great and actually has some ambition. When I'm in the right mood it's pretty great but it's certainly very flawed.

I also think it's interesting how different Leonard Nimoy makes Spock SOUND in this movie, it's like he was trying to be more genuinely alien here than at any other point.

Wrath of Khan is basically the perfect Star Trek adventure story. The Search for Spock is a bit all over the place but still enjoyable. The Voyage Home is a lesser movie than Khan overall, but is kind of pitch perfect silly fun. V is a mess but less bad than you probably remember (though it is at least as cheap looking as you remember...) The Undiscovered Country puts a bow on the TOS movies nicely.

I like the old movies mostly. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

That's why I said cheap LOOKING. :)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd probably say Into Darkness is worse about it since Wrath of Khan was a direct sequel to an episode of the show, so they were locked into using Ricardo Maltobon. There really was no excuse for Into Darkness. They could have righted a wrong made decades ago but they double downed on it long after it was an acceptable practice. They couldn't have cast a whiter actor.

Right, Ricardo Montalbán was cast in loving 1967, when anybody who wasn't lily-white getting any acting job in Hollywood was the exception rather than the rule.

Into Darkness was made in 2013.

Also Montalbán's Khan was way loving better.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I like this Wrath of Khan one slightly more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8uR9A8TDaw