Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

As a brit its so depressing to have read this thread in 2007 and still be reading it, I'm an atheist and I knelt and prayed for Obama to win to give you universal healthcare (lmao young me).
To an outsider the american system is repulsive, farcical and nightmarish. Its a genuine moral outrage.

Now in 2020 its still the same "debate" and my own country has savaged and asset stripped the NHS, in another 13 years maybe you guys might have UHC, I hope so so much but outlook isn't great, the NHS will probably be a flock of angry vultured confusedly pecking at a dried carcass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's American exceptionalism to think that only Americans think their country is exceptional.

There's a large normalcy bias so you assume your gov is doing the right thing otherwise "they wouldn't let them do that"

Not everyone mind you, some populations seem well aware of how lovely their governments are.
I can't speak for the North Koreans, wouldn't surprise me if they still had people telling them it was childish to not vote just cause the option is bad and their grandads fought to get them the right to vote.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

as far as i know, the american left's refusal to embrace basic patriotism - like, just mentioning the word "america" in a positive context - is unique among electoral movements. it's also self defeating. turns out, voters like to hear about america and how it can be great. despite losing constantly for decades this left is too petty to try winning by articulating a complete vision for the country. instead it's ceded basic tools of electoral politics to conservative capitalists. what other country in the world is there where a display of the flag in any way, at least in urban and semi urban areas, is presumptively a conservative statement?

nah this is a pretty common problem among the left in coloniser states, it's pretty awkward to get patriotic about a country with an evil past.
other countries can go "remember when we threw off the shackles of those awful colonisers? this is like that!" whereas we can't

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

- bernie is the man but a loving terrible campaigner who just gave the same stump speech at every single event and refused to meaningfully criticize his opponents

i hadnt seen bernie talk really until the primary debates and i'd agree with this.
as an outsider looking at him he was really not very good at trying to preach to people outside the choir or think on his feet.
he was obviously the most correct of the candidates but one of the weakest campaigners

the switching back to his stump speeches got comical and frustrating vs biden where you could see bernie and biden would get angry, the exchange would heat up and you'd be like "nail the fucker, bernie!" then bernie would go "why is it- that 1% of americans - own 99% of the wealth?" into a stump speech and that useable moment would pass and everyone would calm down and get bored again