Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DandyLion posted:

Something that's not really talked about much is the concept of universal healthcare (intentionally) becomes non-viable once a plurality of the citizenry sink deep into 'lower class' wages. If most folks are no longer making enough money to even be taxed, how does the system pay for the medical care?

Tax the rich.

They have all of the money. This isn't complicated at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DandyLion posted:

You'd have to convince them to allow it.......

Good luck.

I said it's not complicated, I didn't say it would be easy.

Your post asking "how can we pay for it if there are so many poor people?" has a very simple answer. We are the wealthiest nation on earth and yet have worse healthcare than dozens of other nations.

Taxing the wealthy could pay for universal healthcare and it would actually save the country money because right now we spend a ton of money that gets hoovered up by middlemen like insurance companies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

3 of the countries in the top 10 lowest population density have healthcare systems that are universal and cost a fraction of what the US does. Australia, Iceland, and Canada.

Sorry, I've been informed that thinking that the US, the richest country on Earth, could afford to implement a lower costing universal healthcare system is "assuming a make-believe situation"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Amazing how all of these other countries with universal healthcare manage to have plenty of medicine and innovation without charging patients thousands and thousands of dollars for necessary medications.

We are the richest country in the world, we should have the best healthcare in the world. Sadly, this is nowhere near to what we actually get, due to our for-profit system always looking to find a way to make sure some middleman somewhere wets his beak.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

silence_kit posted:

When people receive medical treatment, they expect the treatment to work not just in principle, but in practice, in reality. Yes, the basic research is more creative and more novel than product development, but the basic research result doesn't really concretely mean much to society without being developed into a real product that people can actually use and is actually proven to work.

The product development is especially valuable in medicine because the theory of medicine is not that great--the researchers can't make good predictions. If they could make good predictions, the drug trial success rate wouldn't be so low.

Somehow, plenty of other countries have managed to solve this problem while still offering universal healthcare. I'm firm in my belief that America, the richest country on Earth, could figure out a way.

For example:

Jaxyon posted:

FWIW I suspect, (and have no proof behind this, but I'll admit that) the US pharma industry could innovate much better by simply having the US government take 100b from what it dumps on defense contractors and spending it on nationalizing drug R&D top to bottom.