Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

HootTheOwl posted:

Such a mechanism already exists, it's called income tax and universal healthcare.

Something that's not really talked about much is the concept of universal healthcare (intentionally) becomes non-viable once a plurality of the citizenry sink deep into 'lower class' wages. If most folks are no longer making enough money to even be taxed, how does the system pay for the medical care?

Following the current trends of middle class shrinkage and the entirety of wealth (99%+) being consolidated into a couple hundred families doesn't leave any room or functional requirement to provide healthcare to the masses, especially when getting to that point puts a big incentive on the upper class to cull the lower class as quickly/efficiently as possible without endangering themselves directly (and I suspect just letting people die because they weren't boot-strappy enough to save for their own care is just that ticket). This makes even more sense when viewed from the lens of current conservative/oligarchy propaganda convincing a large swath of poor uneducated American's that not paying for their own healthcare is the root of all evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

WampaLord posted:

Tax the rich.

They have all of the money. This isn't complicated at all.

You'd have to convince them to allow it.......

Good luck.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

WampaLord posted:

I said it's not complicated, I didn't say it would be easy.

Your post asking "how can we pay for it if there are so many poor people?" has a very simple answer. We are the wealthiest nation on earth and yet have worse healthcare than dozens of other nations.

Taxing the wealthy could pay for universal healthcare and it would actually save the country money because right now we spend a ton of money that gets hoovered up by middlemen like insurance companies.

Yes, that's correct; I should have clarified my supposition under the auspices of the current political climate wherein the wealthy control everything.

Its easy to answer the question if we assume make-believe situations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phone posted:

What's the make-believe situation? That taxes can be raised?

That the wealthy will relinquish enough of their stranglehold on systems they have a hand in propagating for the sake of increasing their wealth, so that the proletariat only can benefit.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

At some point the U.S. will have to deal with its primary directive of having greed drive all things I think.....