Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ardlen posted:

Glybera was a cure for a rare form of pancreatitis. The company charged $1 million for the cure, sold it once, and now it is off the market entirely. Their reasoning for pricing it that high was because treatments for similar rare diseases normally cost $300,000 / year for the rest of the patient's life.

The research was publicly funded by the University of British Columbia.

Dude, even the wikipedia article contradicts this. It was a novel gene therapy treatment for a very rare genetic disease and it was on the market for two years. I have no way to check out the companies claim that it was commercially unsuccessful, but it's certainly plausible. If they sold only 31 treatments in two years it might not have been enough revenue to cover all the running costs of manufacturing, training, legal costs, insurance, etc.

I'm not a big fan of how most of the pharma industry is run, but this is not a problem specific to the private sector. A public pharma industry would have to answer about spending limited resources just the same. Like, you can use available resources to bring drugs to market that could help millions or you can spend them to set up a production line for Glybera and help 31, but you can't do both at the same time. A public company might have faced a similar outrage, but for choosing to produce an obscure seizure medicine that helps 32 people a year over Glybera that would have helped only 31 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Question for those in this thread: how in the world do you respond to morons who tell you that universal health care is "slavery" because it's "forcing people to give charity"? I've run into this on another forum and its baffling, though I know it's a dumb way to reframe the issue.

I've tried pointing out that people have a right not to be forced into medical bankruptcy, and that M4A doesn't mean that doctors and nurses don't get paid, but it's like talking to a wall.

Quick answer that they will understand: they are already paying for other people's healthcare because our moral consensus does not allow us to refuse non-elective medical care to people. Universal healthcare will actually safe them money and make them pay less for other people

Real answer: Nobody "earns" anything. A developed economy is a highly complicated machine that produced a shitload of goods and services that are then distributed using a very complicated, arbitrary and byzantine distribution key. Improving the distribution of healthcare service and goods to the most impoverished workers will actually improve the overall output and efficiency of the economy and therefore improve the economic wellbeing of almost all people.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

as far as i know, the american left's refusal to embrace basic patriotism - like, just mentioning the word "america" in a positive context - is unique among electoral movements. it's also self defeating. turns out, voters like to hear about america and how it can be great. despite losing constantly for decades this left is too petty to try winning by articulating a complete vision for the country. instead it's ceded basic tools of electoral politics to conservative capitalists. what other country in the world is there where a display of the flag in any way, at least in urban and semi urban areas, is presumptively a conservative statement?

Akshually, worship of flags or other nationalist symbols is extremely creepy and fooling around with that outside of ~ironic~ outlets like international sport events is extremely frowned upon and usually a sign of a supremacists worldview around here in Germany, op

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

trying to think of why germany is not a representative example. it'll come to me eventually!

do leftists ever display german flags though? if you see a german flag sticker on a car, is it practically certain that person is a weird AfD conservative?

German handling of flag/symbol worship is pretty cool and nice and a good example of how to handle nation scale tribalism. Something to emulate for other countries, not some historic oddity, htbh

Yes, the left/progressives never use the German flag as a symbol. It is exclusively reserved to the right/nativists. Nobody has a problem with it being used to represent the state or the nation as a whole. Just any kind of personal/private display of it is seen as a political statement of nativism/nationalism. It's a tribal display, stating there is an in an out group and you want to separate them