Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

silence_kit posted:

This person might be a lost cause, but I think that it might be a good idea to actually address what they are saying and get them to talk and explain their ideas, instead of just changing the subject on them. Let them do most of the talking, and ask questions and then you can use their own reasoning to reach conclusions that you hope they disagree with, and point out paradoxes in their thinking.

I don't know how they will be able to expound a lot on the idea that UHC is the same thing as 'giving to charity' without saying a bunch of stuff that most people find morally monstrous. Their idea that UHC is slavery is predicated on the idea that taxation is slavery, but surely they don't actually believe that taxation is slavery because you can probably point to government programs that they like that wouldn't get funded if the government made taxes optional . . . etc . . . etc . . .

edit: It is hilarious to me that this process of getting people to explain and reason about their beliefs and pointing out paradoxes in their thinking is considered to be bad on some online communities, and 'just asking questions' is a pejorative, but here we are.

These people are probably Trump voters and their entire identity is built around all that emcompasses. Arguing is completely useless, because their position is not based on facts to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Obamas' legacy is his refusal to even consider single payer, and being bought out by the the same billionaires that are funding Biden now.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The US political system is fundamentally broken, as you can see for example in how the DNC and Obama fixed the primary against Medicare for All. It will take a complete dismantling of the political establishment, in both parties, to achieve any real change.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I didn't say vote Trump, just that Biden is not going to do much improve things even if he wins. He literally can't, because he's a puppet of the same people that owned Obama and made the last health care reform a handout to the insurance industry.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's really hard to make an honest argument as to how or why America could be great, and the Left deals in facts. Rightists deal in authoritarian lies, the more brazen the better. That's why Trump is going to win, because the US is a country built on lies.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You cannot solve healthcare without first solving money in politics. All the politicians are bought and paid for, that's why Obama refused to even consider a public option. It's why Biden says he would veto medicare for all.

Good luck.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

KingNastidon posted:

It's important to separate debate on the initial question under the conditions as they exist today vs. possible future. Today, capping healthcare costs at % of income is just a band aid. You're solving for the acute affordability issues of an individual. The supply side costs of providing care to that patient is the same regardless of whether their personal healthcare expenditures are capped in that fiscal year. The real world implications of a %income cap are a combination of 1) that individual's premiums increase in other years where they don't hit the cap and 2) other people's premiums are increased to make up for the difference in lost revenue from the patient whose expenditures are capped. You can't just "tax the rich more" because cost of employer provided healthcare plans are not pinned to the income of the employee. Even if all insurers were non profit then they'd still need to balance inflows (premiums) vs. outflows (health expenditures).

In Bernie M4A world this whole problem is solved via progressive income taxes because premiums and out of pocket costs like deductibles, co-insurance, and co-pays don't exist. You can change the progressivity of taxes based on your own personal preferences. This is still quite complicated depending on nuances of how you adjust for COL (e.g. $100k in NYC vs. Omaha means different things) and how family members are accounted for (e.g., does a single income household pay more healthcare related income taxes based on marital status, number of dependents, etc)

The consumer side of single payer is pretty boring, to be honest. If you tell people in isolation they'll get free everything then they'll support it. The real challenge from electoral perspective is 1) details around tax incidence such that they know whether they'll come out ahead from personal finance perspective and 2) downstream implications of supply side policy necessary to contain costs.

This sounds like a bunch of gobbledegook intended to say healthcare isn't a human right. The tax details are complicated, the principle is not.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 21, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's all a matter of degrees, yeah. The US has proven that they cannot do it, so I don't really have to argue it, just point to the evidence.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I didn't say never. Obama, Bernie (in his utter defeat) and Biden lay down a pretty strong case. Maybe in 2030~.

(Trump too but that's besides the point, which was not even the Democrats will do it)

doverhog fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 21, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

wins32767 posted:

We ludicrously over treat in the US. My wife just had several thousand dollar procedure done to confirm that a couple thousand dollar procedure was indeed a false positive. That couple thousand dollar procedure is scheduled every two years to keep an eye on something she's had her whole life and has not caused any symptoms, all to avoid the doctor getting sued if the extremely small chance of it actually causing something bad did occur. I've had 3 CT scans in the past 3 years for the same recurring problem that I'd never had a scan for in the 10 years prior, all because I moved to a state where more defensive medicine is practiced.

If hospitals don't end up doing layoffs, we haven't finished fixing the healthcare system.

Just think about how many bureaucrats, lobbyist, bean counters, claims deniers, etc. there are who all must be paid. The people who own that industry have a lot of money, and they use it to buy Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Opposing health care as a human right because the drug companies need the money for research is like opposing abolition because the slavers need the money to produce cotton.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

BougieBitch posted:

Basically, the best play if you want to fix it by just throwing a wad of cash is to just straight-up buy the companies, change the stated goals of drug development so that decisions are made based on the number of total years of extended lifespan a drug gives across all patients instead of the amount of money it makes, and continue operations as normal otherwise, but that has its own risks because the next time Republicans get control they can shift the priorities back around to loving the poors or sell the parts to whatever private companies still exist like state and local republicans have done for years with public infrastructure, so ideally we'd come up with a more durable solution if one exists.

It's almost like there are no solutions as long as the current political system with all the inherent corruption exists.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It has been pretty clear that the private market will research boner pills opposed to new antibiotics. The private market has failed, and ought to be dismantled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

BougieBitch posted:

Are you planning to contribute? Yes, the private market should be dismantled, what is the actual PLAN though?

Plan is build up grassroots leftists organizations to primary corporate democrats, before that is done any talk about details is irrelevant. It cannot be fixed without that being done first.

I'm sorry if I'm intruding but I really think you are missing the point.

This thread is not about how taxes or research should work. It's about the state of US healthcare.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

doverhog fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 24, 2020