Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
States are beginning to notice the out of network hospital thing and legislate change. Because politics is all about wordplay, the phrase "Surprise Billing" has been used for this and seems to be effective in making change. Ambulance takes you to a non-partner hospital and you're too knocked out to object? Your problem, tough cookie. But you're a victim of Surprise Billing? Nobody wants to be surprised billed. Somebody fix that poo poo!

I have a choice of two providers for Medicaid coverage, and from what I could tell the most major difference was that one of the three hospital chains in my region didn't support the outfit I went with, and one of their hospitals is the physically closest hospital to me. I made this choice because they have the better Doctor network, and I figure a person in their 30s who hasn't lived a hard life is going to need a regular PCP more than they're going to need the ER. However, if I did need the ER, I would have wanted to be driven several more miles than the closest hospital is to the one that isn't going to bill me personally.

This changed when the state capped ER bills on people with unaccepted plans and smoothing out the other difficulties in the way where the out-of-network hospital would basically have to eat the cost. And then, suddenly, the nearby hospital worked out a deal with the provider I chose and now I can go there now. Apparently if you reduce the opportunities for hospitals to bankrupt people and force them to take losses in those situations instead, they get far more negotiable with every insurance network that they can. Who knew?!

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

knox_harrington posted:

I grew up in the UK and worked in research in the NHS for a long time and think a properly funded national system is the best healthcare setup. Having said that I now live in an extremely capitalist country with a privatised system (Switzerland), and while it's expensive it's properly regulated so everyone has health cover and pre existing conditions are always included. The system seems to work pretty well.

If I remember from that older “healthcare abroad” PBS special, Swiss healthcare is a market of private players, but they’re all required to be not for profit.