Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Question for those in this thread: how in the world do you respond to morons who tell you that universal health care is "slavery" because it's "forcing people to give charity"? I've run into this on another forum and its baffling, though I know it's a dumb way to reframe the issue.

I've tried pointing out that people have a right not to be forced into medical bankruptcy, and that M4A doesn't mean that doctors and nurses don't get paid, but it's like talking to a wall.
Doctors and nurses who don't like the working conditions and remuneration in a universal health care system can quit and pursue other career paths. Slaves, on the other hand, could not. Very subtle difference there, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU