Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

wins32767 posted:

One of my big issues with medical school and the training system is that the culture they instill in doctors is fundamentally broken. Medical errors are a huge cause of death and poor outcomes. Medical culture has far too much top down, "the expert is right" mindset to ever drive those errors close to zero and as the folks atop the pile, doctors are the most resistant to changing that culture. One of the good thing about consolidation on the provider side is that it will empower administrators to force a change of that culture. They'll probably just replace it with a cost optimizing one, but that'd be more amenable to change through incentives than the status quo.

Hell, I have a friend who was hit by a car when she was a teenager and now, in her mid-30s, has an extremely messed up back. Herniations, bone spurs, and moderate to severe canal stenosis all over the place. Her most recent neurosurgeon lost his license and moved out of state, but only after repairing two of her herniations by installing the screws backwards. Apparently no one else in the operating room thought this was an issue or didn't want to speak up. Since each screw is now loose she simply waits for the day they work into the canal and she wakes up a paraplegic.

And that surgery cost her over $10,000, to which she has no recourse to sue for. Boggles my mind to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU