Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Wait, how do the companies do it then? Are you telling me that if a private company had and wanted to spend 150 billion they would seriously run into a personnel issue?

It's getting a little out of healthcare and into government HR being a mess, but hiring for federal positions is notoriously slow. Check out the USAJOBS thread in BFC for plenty of examples, but TL;DR it's not unusual for it to take 6+ months to hire one person. I don't know enough about the internal processes of government hiring to recommend what should be changed, but I've personally received an offer letter for a federal position thirteen months after I interviewed for the role. I'd long since taken a job in the pharma industry by the time the offer came.

Under whatever the current hiring regulations are, I don't know how a federal agency would manage to hire 10,000 people in enough time to do anything meaningful. The regulations are probably either intentional to hamstring them, or an overzealous inclusion requirement (must allow X time for internals, Y time for veteran interviews, then Z of open applicants before sending hiring package to Office A for review...), but again I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

We've already nationalized a bunch of research via the NIH.

But I guess "nationalize the rest" is a bridge too far without a detailed plan from posters.

It is fascinating to me that we have 3-4 pharma working posters here to tell me that single payer will reduce innovation and maybe cost them money, but nobody seems to have an interest in solving that perceived potential issue.

gently caress off with this passive-aggressive bullshit. It's not their job to do your homework for you, and it's not their job to develop the proposal to restructure a huge portion of the healthcare system which would be required to avoid the resource allocation issue.