Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Hahaha that had to be direct inspiration for that commercial. Just some rad dudes hanging out!

Very cool to see your old car in a commercial though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
With a little production magic, it looks so much cleaner than I ever had it. Ripping around on the snow in regular tires must have been fun.

The model putting a bag in the frunk reminded me of how I wanted to shoot a gag video where someone pops the trunk and pretends to put luggage back there, with the camera angle hiding the engine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm glad some of the old timers come back here other than just to say entropy hasn't gotten them yet.

Hi kimbo and pr0k :)

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

I'm glad some of the old timers come back here other than just to say entropy hasn't gotten them yet.

Hi kimbo and pr0k :)

Hello! I still have that helmet I got from you for the goon track day at Streets of Willow back in 2008. Good times!

Entropy will get us all but I had a realization around 2016 that this was one of the last sites that has an active community and it痴 trying to mine our data or cram ads down our throats. That痴 a good reminder to buy something from the site.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Muffinpox is still out in Boston doing his thing, enjoying his newish Civic Si. I don't really stay in touch but follow him on Instagram.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

kimbo305 posted:

The model putting a bag in the frunk reminded me of how I wanted to shoot a gag video where someone pops the trunk and pretends to put luggage back there, with the camera angle hiding the engine.
It's a still image, and I don't think they're in on the joke, but here you go:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I was just thinking the other day about the goon with the SV Bricklin they were putting a SBC. What ever happened with that? I remember something about subframes and transmissions being too girthy to fit and felt like it stalled out. I can't even remember the posters name. That was such a cool project and it was a fun history lesson on such a weird car. I have only seen a handful of SV-1s in my life, but they were so cool to look at.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't that BoostCreep?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BoostCreep definitely had a Bricklin, but no idea what the plans for it were.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i definitely remember he was removing the amc motor, which is a sin

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, that is/was BoostCreep, he was going to LS swap it. He was doing Youtube videos for a while, mostly on his LS-swapped Lexus SC, but that's been quiet for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/@FullySpooled

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anybody know what happened to InterceptorV8? Loved his trucking stories; their avatar was great too

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I loved the trucking thread and all the posts from RandyTM, InterceptorV8, nutcup, Powershift and everyone else

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I was just thinking the other day about the goon with the SV Bricklin they were putting a SBC. What ever happened with that? I remember something about subframes and transmissions being too girthy to fit and felt like it stalled out. I can't even remember the posters name. That was such a cool project and it was a fun history lesson on such a weird car. I have only seen a handful of SV-1s in my life, but they were so cool to look at.

A bricklin pulled into the parking spot next to me at the grocery store the other day and I had this exact same thought.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 244 days!)

InitialDave posted:

How did things work out with Viggen? He was never really the same after his crash, and at some point kind of vanished.

Brain damage is a hell of a drug.

I went through this whole weird arc with that anyone and everything was for some reason against me. Actually lived through real life gas lighting at that time.. guy who ran me off the road was directly connected to the Mongols and hosed with me which didn't help my mental state.

Took a couple years to get back to some semblance of normalcy. Nowhere near where I was beforehand but I've accepted that and moved on. Literally. Basically a hermit in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't be happier. Still have a handful of SAABs.

E: pretty sure I still have that YoungBlizzie video somewhere. Whatever happened with that guy? Like instant superstar to nothing.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 22, 2023

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Salami Surgeon posted:

I loved the trucking thread and all the posts from RandyTM, InterceptorV8, nutcup, Powershift and everyone else

Yeah I miss photos from the road.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

West SAAB Story posted:

I went through this whole weird arc with that anyone and everything was for some reason against me. Actually lived through real life gas lighting at that time.. guy who ran me off the road was directly connected to the Mongols and hosed with me which didn't help my mental state.

Took a couple years to get back to some semblance of normalcy. Nowhere near where I was beforehand but I've accepted that and moved on. Literally. Basically a hermit in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't be happier. Still have a handful of SAABs.

E: pretty sure I still have that YoungBlizzie video somewhere. Whatever happened with that guy? Like instant superstar to nothing.

:glomp: Sorry to hear that it was so lovely, but I'm glad you've found peace. Sometimes being a hermit sounds mighty nice.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, that is/was BoostCreep, he was going to LS swap it. He was doing Youtube videos for a while, mostly on his LS-swapped Lexus SC, but that's been quiet for a long time: https://www.youtube.com/@FullySpooled

I follow him on Instagram, but yeah, he's been very quiet of late. He banged up his LS-swapped Lexus drift car, was working on that, and working on the DSM as well.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

sharkytm posted:

:glomp: Sorry to hear that it was so lovely, but I'm glad you've found peace. Sometimes being a hermit sounds mighty nice.

Moving out of Nevada was the best decisions I've ever made.. next to hoarding SAABs.

I didn't really expect to come back here- Josh Moon's Lowtax video somehow got autoqueued on my YT playlist and one email to Jeff later, here I am.

Whatever happened to that crazy Firestone mechanic who ended up quitting his job? Last I remember he was picking up cash pooled together for him to pick up at Wal-Mart while his 4.0 slowly ate itself.

..I still have yet to own a Viggen. :v:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 22, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

West SAAB Story posted:

Whatever happened to that crazy Firestone mechanic who ended up quitting his job? Last I remember he was picking up cash pooled together for him to pick up at Wal-Mart while his 4.0 slowly ate itself.

We try not to mention his name due to bad things he was accused of doing.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

wesleywillis posted:

Ooh. I missed that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It's best left at that.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

And yet still has a long running thread open!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

West SAAB Story posted:

I hear you man, drunk driver hit me head on in '19, suffered a TBI and haven't been the same since. A lot better than I was but still not the same, sometimes I dwell on it but for the most part I've moved on. I still have problems with over stimulation in crowded public places like grocery stores and poo poo and it's kind of a bummer but oh well what are you gonna do. My neurologist said no one really knows why some people heal up completely and others don't, but I am thankful I did heal up some instead of none cuz I was pretty bad for months after the accident.

Godspeed fellow TBI goon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

I didn't really expect to come back here- Josh Moon's Lowtax video somehow got autoqueued on my YT playlist and one email to Jeff later, here I am.

When I search for "Josh Moon Lowtax" I get a bunch of stuff about Kiwifarms

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I hear you man, drunk driver hit me head on in '19, suffered a TBI and haven't been the same since. A lot better than I was but still not the same, sometimes I dwell on it but for the most part I've moved on. I still have problems with over stimulation in crowded public places like grocery stores and poo poo and it's kind of a bummer but oh well what are you gonna do.

Sorry to hear that. I think the hardest part is when people expect you to be the same person. I only had one friend stick with me through that, and that hurt most of all. Glad you're still with us.

I'm glad you kept the same avatar or I wouldn't have known who you were. STR was easy to figure out but I'm sure it's going to take me a while to place who's who..

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

When I search for "Josh Moon Lowtax" I get a bunch of stuff about Kiwifarms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn--KVeu9b4

I was looking up an internet personality named Fedsmoker, who lived his life like a Mad Max supporting character. There was a series of documentaries people had made about him and Josh made one too. The man's Crown Vic was customized with hunks of metal and plastic skulls. He was the definition of insanity. He probably would have been an AI superstar back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pN1WPgps4

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 23, 2023

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

People are going to have the weirdest moments when I die and they clean out my shop.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Sockington posted:

People are going to have the weirdest moments when I die and they clean out my shop.

Holy memory hole Batman!

E: Cropped pic is current.. still works! Dunno why my phone decided to do what it did; I had the lights on.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 24, 2023

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Krakkles and sharkytm told me my name popped up recently, so I figured I'd log in for an update. It's fun seeing so many old names in this thread. I'm going to try to do better about being around more often, though it's interesting that I haven't logged in here in years and there are only like 8 threads on the front page of AI that were marked as new.

I still have the Bricklin. And my DSM, and my Lexus. Long story short, I had a kid, and that along with work and a pandemic stalled out my progress on all my car projects. They have basically been hibernating under car covers that have begun rotting in the SoCal sun the past couple years.

I've pretty much taken a break from AI, social media, YouTube, video games, and basically the internet in general. I've been trying to work on my career and my health, as well as being a Dad during the break, but the itch to get back in the garage and behind the wheel is growing.

Here are some updates for anyone curious.

Bricklin's current status:

The Bricklin needs a lot of work. Both doors were rusty and cracked from sitting for 40 years, and while I began collecting parts for this project, I decided I'd rather save the $15,000 or so it's going to take to properly restore this car and build a fun track car that I could use much sooner, which is where the Lexus comes in. The idea was to just pause the Bricklin build, not knowing it would sit for another decade.

The LS engine technically fits in the Bricklin, but it would likely need a cowl style hood to fit even the lowest profile car intake manifold. I decided if I'm going to be driving a car from the 70s, it might as well be stupid and carbed and smelly and loud, so I figured I'd rebuild the AMC 360 when I had time and extra money.

Fast forward to 2021 and I started pulling the engine apart and was literally a couple days away from taking it to a local machine shop that specializes in the AMC 360 (actually they designed the dogleg heads for the engine in the late 60s) for a refresh, when my daughter decided to be born a month early. This ended up with an emergency c-section and a 5 day stay in the NICU, which cost the entire budget I had planned for the Bricklin rebuild. (and that was with pretty good health insurance).

Here's the current state of the AMC engine:

Current state of the Lexus:

The Lexus is in hibernation mode. I blew the original 4.8 due to oil starvation in 2020 and replaced it with a 5.3 block, which runs great. I had a wheel shear off due to really old lug nuts in 2021 (my fault), but there was minimal damage and was all easily fixed. Now the car sits awaiting its fate. I'm almost certainly selling it as soon as I can, as I want to get into road course racing and want something lighter and most importantly, street legal. I would drive this WAY more if it were able to be registered on the street in California.

I would have sold the Lexus by now, but I'm absolutely dreading dealing with the mouth breathers on Facebook marketplace and wherever else who will want to kick tires and then offer to trade for their 96 Civic sedan with rims and an intake. The SC chassis also isn't hugely sought after, which is funny since it's 95% the same as an MKIV Supra, but if I can find someone who will pay whatever I decide is an appropriate price, I'll let it go. Would really prefer not to have to part it out.

My plans are to work my way up to the Gridlife Touring Cup, which has a 12.5lbs/hp cap, and a big V8 would not only take a performance penalty in that series, but I would also have to detune it to reach the correct power for its weight. Seems silly having a really big engine if I'm not even using it all. Ideally I'll pick up an NC Miata, MR2 Spyder, or possibly a FWD 2G Eclipse or Talon turbo (because I'm a masochist) that could be street legal and still perform well in that series.

The Talon:

My Talon, which I've had since 2001, is also sitting. During the pandemic, I drilled out all the spot welds to replace the radiator core support that got bent up in an accident in 2002. The purple section in the nose in the pic below is what I welded in place. Fits well, just needs to get updated paint and some finishing.

The fenders are damaged beyond use at this point for various reasons, so I wanted to pick up some aftermarket ones. Turns out nobody who actually stocks new fenders for the 90-91 DSMs will ship to California due to Prop 65, so I'm just a couple of fenders away from bolting the Talon back together. Not that it really matters, because I definitely can't register and drive this on the road here. I just don't want to deal with passing smog the "other" way anymore. It's expensive and a huge pain to deal with and I'm just over it.

While the car was apart, I finally added a new FPR, new fuel pump to replace the 20 year old Walbro, rewired said pump, fabricated new aluminum intercooler pipes, rewired the MAF, replaced the headliner, did the timing belt, and reworked the tune a bit. It drives great when I drive it, which is pretty much never. It's a 2.3 stroker with forged internals on a stock turbo for the time being. It's slow, but still fun.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Who remembers the tits in seatbelts thread

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Preoptopus posted:

As well as I remember the TFR Alcohol Tits and Firearms thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Preoptopus posted:

Haha, yeah. I think the original AI picture thread was "post hot car chicks and AIest images you got"

Maybe there was an older one but things have changed a bit here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Some of the first posting I ever did in SA was trolling pet island, someone gave me a custom title, and having no clue I messaged forums support freaking out thinking my account got hacked lol

Also remember getting mocked hard for misspelling something once in AI with a meme being posted about it and everything, the spelling/gramar police were tough back then :v:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Hello! I still have that helmet I got from you for the goon track day at Streets of Willow back in 2008.

Does anyone happen to have pics from that track day by the way? I sold my silver s2k shortly after that track day and those would have been the only pics of it. I remember someone there taking photos.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

West SAAB Story posted:

Dang, I just kinda figured I'd be involved in viggen's next ban, yet here we are...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 4, 2023

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I just remembered a poster named bull3964 want a bugeye WRX, get a WRX, have a tag saying "yay I got a WRX" and then have it rust out in a decade or so

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Much like myself, I think he's still wearing that BRT to this day

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I passed by a Dinan badged E92 and had a flashback to how Das Volk talked up the insane build quality and customer service experience with getting a Dinan intake and then being mad that it was +0hp.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
LOL. I remember that. The problem is the BMW engineers made the E92 M3's intake awesome from the start so all you can really do is change the appearance of the piece in the engine bay.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

I passed by a Dinan badged E92 and had a flashback to how Das Volk talked up the insane build quality and customer service experience with getting a Dinan intake and then being mad that it was +0hp.
Totally worth the $1000 it probably cost, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I originally felt guilty about how much I enjoyed that moment where he was despondent about the dyno results. But then he was outed as a massive racist and I was free to never think about him again.

E9x topic - doesn稚 the Eventuri intake gain power? Or does it need a tune?