Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood75
Sep 30, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

It's funny to think of the crowd sourced wisdom of AI telling someone to buy a Saab

It was a really great car actually. It was a 2006 WRX but with a much nicer interior, HID headlights, all sorts of cool cold weather gear. And dirt cheap too. I bought it brand new for $25k! And it was a stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Oh my god I think I'm in love.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

sharkytm posted:

Anyone else remember blow dog, the guy in the UK with the supercars, and we collectively chased him off? (https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=61225)
I still follow him on Flickr, he's got a beautiful orange R8 now. Still rocking a BLOWDOG plate, of some variant.

Yeah there were always a few posters who'd go creepy on anyone with money and borderline worship/revile them at the same time. Same thing happened I think with that one guy who had all kinds of expensive american toys, like a twin turbo Corvette and Viper or something. He only posted a few times and people were all OMG WHAT DO YOU DO YOU'RE SO RICH WTF.

Blowdog getting that bitchen Porsche detailed was the first example of someone hand-waxing a car I'd ever heard of (as in applying it with bare hands and having body heat melt it on to the paint). I loved all of his threads.

quote:

Also, it's amazing to see how much the forums have matured. I was digging in the archives, and found this gem from Belldandy:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1345166#post293881086

We were all fine with that language, and no one blinked an eye.

Ya know, I read SA from day 1, I remember following lowtax on planetquake, I think he cross posted his ICQ pranks over there which led me here. But that poo poo is what kept me from registering for the longest time. The quality of AI threads is what got me to eventually sign up. But even then the first time I tried to join AI chat in IRC there was a bunch of casual racism and "ironic" n-word bombs with zero pushback. I figured I'd stick to lurking and project content.

LobsterboyX posted:

BoomerJinks and the jurassic park jeep/Ecto Magnum - man oh man. I don't really know how I came in to contact with him, but a close friend and I did a business trip to Denver back in 2008? 9? and he picked us up in the magnum and literally drove us everywhere, every diner, attraction, vintage poo poo you could think of. He was probably one of the best hosts I've ever had anywhere. He came to LA once and I tried to return the favor, in turn he introduced me to another guy who I'm still very close with. At the time I was doing a lot of special effects and studio work, so I got to take him to some cool places like cinema vehicle services and some prop houses that he wouldn't have been able to get in to - I think he got pretty wrapped up in the internet/gamer/anime thing and kinda went off the deep end, went thru a divorce and I think even got in trouble with the law - whenever I ask anyone about him, the answer is always the same .."I don't know"- which is a real shame considering he was one of the coolest guys IRL.
All I remember is that originally he made some great contributions to AI, but then he kinda crawled up his own rear end in a top hat with the movie car thing and got a god complex, and of course what does SA do to anyone like that? His last custom title was DINO DAMAGE because he lent his Jeep to a con for free without any kind of insurance, just a handshake deal. And when the trucking company damaged it he posted a thread demanding justice and help from goons but got mocked instead. I saw him 4-5 times around the Denver area just by coincidence, driving that dodge Ecto. Once I spotted him doing a photo shoot with his Jeep and a General Lee and BTTF Delorean. Never felt comfortable enough to flag him down.

quote:

PaulBozMR2 - loving devastating - we'd talk all the time even though our taste in cars was completely different, the guy had a great outlook on life, he was very smart and was doing some crazy stuff with his career - but he encountered a string of really bad luck - He came to LA a few times and we always had a ball, great meals and drinks, fun times crusing my old bullshit around and generally really good hearty fun. My wife even loved him which is surprising because she doesn't usually care for my "internet friends". Sadly Paul took his own life at the end of last year. He was really a great guy.

That's awful, wasn't he one of the pioneers of the "frunk army"? Which really should be a gang tag.

quote:

Bob W. the guy that had the 60s Pontiac convertibles, cant remeber his handle, but he and I talk regularly on facebook. Last year I commented on a post he made about the regional PA meat like substance "Scrapple" and he sent me some out of the goodness of his own heart to try - a very acquired taste...
Is that PainterofCrap? If so he's still around posting in other subforums.

sharkytm posted:

It took me a while to realize this last bit is true. I keep seeing new projects and kicking myself for not having the time to do anything, then it dawns on me that most of the projects are new PEOPLE, or someone who has had a long-term ongoing project that just gets a new thread. We're all getting older, and have less time to do dumb car poo poo. Plus, you know, buying a reliable car instead of wrenching on the old and busted.

Sadly yeah. I'm going on 6 years on my main stalled project now when I used to knock them out in under 4 months. And now what I consider a project is basically installing springs and getting an alignment.

As for nostalgia, I remember my first project thread, I waited till the car was done and then did a single post with start to finish photos. Was a good lesson in how to have a thread die before more than 5 people see it.

Krakkles posted:

Yep. Every time I see that movie I watch for the car and yell out "That's [Lobsterboyx's real name]'s car!" and my wife gives me a weird look.

Every time? I could barely finish that turd once!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 9, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Every time? I could barely finish that turd once!
Ironically, we started our daughter on the series today with Raiders. She loved it and wasn’t scared of the snakes (I’m pretty sure these movies are where my disdain for snakes came from) but didn’t like the mummies.

I definitely haven’t seen crystal skull nearly as many time as Raiders or The Last Crusade, but I’ve seen it more than 5 times. It’s at least a candidate for a stop during channel flipping - especially if it’s near the chase!

also I fully expected this question

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I don't know if an archive link will work, let's try:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1328069&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Vintage car game. Unfortunately most of the images are gone, but typical car game chaos is forever.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

meatpimp posted:

I don't know if an archive link will work, let's try:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1328069&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Vintage car game. Unfortunately most of the images are gone, but typical car game chaos is forever.

Wow, Rope Kid. There's a username I hadn't seen in forever.

Octavio Barnaby Sr (chrisstroud) too. Good times.

Fleetwood75
Sep 30, 2002

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god I think I'm in love.

Me too! It's so sad to have it just sit there like that. It has the 429 V8 which was a three-year-only engine for good reason. There is no point in trying to rebuild the engine. My plan is to drop this into it:

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/CPSLT18L90E.html

Sadly, it's not so much a "drop in" as a major undertaking, and with a kid and running my own business I just don't have time, so I'll be paying somebody to do it. So just as soon as I can save up about $25k for the whole deal I should be good to go...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Fleetwood75 posted:

Me too! It's so sad to have it just sit there like that. It has the 429 V8 which was a three-year-only engine for good reason. There is no point in trying to rebuild the engine. My plan is to drop this into it:

Sadly, it's not so much a "drop in" as a major undertaking, and with a kid and running my own business I just don't have time, so I'll be paying somebody to do it. So just as soon as I can save up about $25k for the whole deal I should be good to go...

Yesssss, that'll be the perfect engine and trans combo. Loads of power of you want it, but smooth fuel efficient cruising when you don't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fleetwood75 posted:

Hey dude, it's great to know you;re doing so well in life! Your write ups were one of the best parts of old AI and I adored that Crown Vic.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fleetwood75 posted:

Holy Jesus, that plus the Caddy might be the perfect combo. Toss that ugly intake cover for something deserving of a max-luxe Cadillac (custom 3D printed/molded?) and then go win every car show and magazine contest on the planet.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

LloydDobler posted:

Ya know, I read SA from day 1, I remember following lowtax on planetquake, I think he cross posted his ICQ pranks over there which led me here. But that poo poo is what kept me from registering for the longest time. The quality of AI threads is what got me to eventually sign up. But even then the first time I tried to join AI chat in IRC there was a bunch of casual racism and "ironic" n-word bombs with zero pushback. I figured I'd stick to lurking and project content.

I'm not nostalgic for the bad old days -- the dasvolk era -- of IRC. I'm sad we -- and I -- didn't do more about it then; when we finally got rid of dasvolk for good, the quality of the IRC went way up, but it was ultimately too late, and the damage was done: the good posters were gone, and all that was left were folks who put up with him and his ilk for too long. Das Volk was an out-and-out nazi (it was years until I understood what his username '1v1r1f' meant), and we should have gotten rid of him long before.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Welcome back Fleetwood. I used to love your write ups, especially being a non-USian and not knowing much about US domestic vehicles outside of Mustangs and Camaros

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Linux Fairy posted:

I'm not nostalgic for the bad old days -- the dasvolk era -- of IRC. I'm sad we -- and I -- didn't do more about it then; when we finally got rid of dasvolk for good, the quality of the IRC went way up, but it was ultimately too late, and the damage was done: the good posters were gone, and all that was left were folks who put up with him and his ilk for too long. Das Volk was an out-and-out nazi (it was years until I understood what his username '1v1r1f' meant), and we should have gotten rid of him long before.
I don’t think I knew he used the username, but in case anyone else is wondering:

https://pages.uoregon.edu/dluebke/NaziGermany443/1V1R1F.jpg

Edit: I should say, I was trying to figure out what it was a reference to, and that image answered it. I have no idea what the rest of that page is and I hope it’s just a history page.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 10, 2020

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

It makes me feel kind of weird to know that the car I've had for the longest period of time I bought from Das Volk...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It makes me feel kind of weird to know that the car I've had for the longest period of time I bought from Das Volk...

And it took how many threats of you buying me an account for me to join?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Did you buy the 330, or the 190? (Those are the ones I recall being sold to goons)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In 2007 everyone in AI drove an Infinity Coupe.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

I mean, I didn’t, but I wanted to.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I didn’t, but I wanted to.

it's just like a skyline!

Same

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Did you buy the 330, or the 190? (Those are the ones I recall being sold to goons)

The 330, going on something like 12 or 13 years of ownership.

the spyder posted:

And it took how many threats of you buying me an account for me to join?

Hiiiiiiii! I wonder if you recognize where the 330’s picture was taken ;)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I was all set to buy an Infiniti Coupe in 2007 and I bought a 350Z instead, I guess that's close enough

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Toaster Pastry is alive in Japan and driving this Honda S660.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

Seriously? That's awesome!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

Seriously? That's awesome!

Yeah, it looks pretty epic and I'm guessing Miata dude is a friend cause I see it in a couple of his pics.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
:buddy:

That's fantastic.

Whatever happened to Bloot? I know he did great design stuff and had a rad 510.

Also Dorquemada had cool 80s turbo Dodges.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

That's awesome news. Cool car, too.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Wrar posted:

That's fantastic.

I met him in person a few times, he was friends with some of my norcal buddies - The last thing I re he moved from the bay area and got some job in another big city..

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Wrar posted:

That's fantastic.

I was wondering this too, because he was doing some pretty interesting stuff to the 510.

I searched his posts the other day and found that he'd finished, raced, and sold the 510. He also hasn't posted here in a while.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Captain McAllister posted:

I was wondering this too, because he was doing some pretty interesting stuff to the 510.

I searched his posts the other day and found that he'd finished, raced, and sold the 510. He also hasn't posted here in a while.

yeah I remember his project to make an automated manual, i think it was his senior design project in school? sad to hear he sold it

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

You Am I posted:

ah yes, the "syf0n angle" :v:

I remember he cracked the shits at his brother in a thread because his brother wouldn't keep his Wrangler clean, and boy some family drama came out of that.

/sigh

Syfon was one of my closest friends at the end of high school and through college. I met him through A.I. my senior year of HS, found out he was already going to the college I was accepted to, and we began chatting more car talk. At the time I had a 1998 SVT cobra and he had the newest 2004 350z.

He was extremely kind and gracious, humble, and incredibly helpful as a mentor to me. He basically paved my transition from HS life to living alone halfway across the country at college surrounded by new people.
When it was time for me to go to school - he flew back to New Orleans where his family lived, to meet me halfway between TX and GA on the drive out to GA where we went to school. We both drove our rides, the Cobra and the 350z the whole road trip, so that was fun.

Once I got to school, he introduced me to a whole new group of A.I. friends, and kind of let me into some circles I would have never found or had access to outside of syfon. I owe a ton of my success in life all to the groundwork Syfon laid out for me when he introduced me to a new king of living. And the funniest thing is - I haven't thought about Syfon in years. I won't say his real name here out of respect, but he was an absolutely totally cool guy irl.

And none of that would have been possible without A.I. circa 2003/2004. My username was jaredfromsubway back then. Yeah, bad choice. It was before all his bullshit.

side note - he's extremely rich and extremely successful today. I've never met anyone that worked as hard as he did. He wasn't handed poo poo from his parents - he worked his rear end off constantly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dennis McClaren posted:

side note - he's extremely rich and extremely successful today. I've never met anyone that worked as hard as he did. He wasn't handed poo poo from his parents - he worked his rear end off constantly.
:lol:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Yeah I should rephrase that -
What he has today wasn't from his parents. He does work his rear end off constantly with photography projects and such and he's successful from his own work.
Having loaded parents probably doesn't hurt on the path to getthing there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

it's just like a skyline!

You just reminded me of how a long time ago the default "what car" recommendation was "Buy a Prizm, it's a Corolla but cheaper".

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

You just reminded me of how a long time ago the default "what car" recommendation was "Buy a Prizm, it's a Corolla but cheaper".

I think Rizzunk (remember him?) called me out for exactly that once. Oh, the petty arguments we got into...

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
AI rules and this thread rules. Nostalgia for days...

I definitely recommended the Prizm to like four separate people, all of whom bought one (one actually had two of them, a 96 and later a 2001 that he got for a steal) and all of whom loved theirs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

bolind posted:

There was also this guy who bought up cars and fixed them up. Cleaned them really nicely and sold and a modest but steady profit. It was super interesting. He had a knack for finding undervalued stuff.

PBcrunch I think he was. I was going to bring that one up myself. His neighbor was a mechanic too, so they'd team up and fix a bunch of poo poo, clean the gently caress out of the cars and sell them.

E: Also, DID FROZEN PHIL EVER FINISH THAT GODDAM CAR?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 14, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IIRC he went through a nasty divorce and either had to sell it, or his ex wife got it.

Fleetwood, glad to see you back... despite the interesting new avatar. :v: (check out your rap sheet if you haven't yet, you got mistaken for a banned alt... the mod that did it offered to give you a new av)

How the hell did Toaster Pastry wind up in Japan? Last I remember, he'd bought an Echo and was basically traveling the US, then kinda disappeared?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

STR posted:

IIRC he went through a nasty divorce and either had to sell it, or his ex wife got it.

Probably right, but I also remember him losing some weight and having a fairly smoking GF not long after that, so...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

STR posted:

Fleetwood, glad to see you back... despite the interesting new avatar. :v: (check out your rap sheet if you haven't yet, you got mistaken for a banned alt... the mod that did it offered to give you a new av)

How the hell did Toaster Pastry wind up in Japan? Last I remember, he'd bought an Echo and was basically traveling the US, then kinda disappeared?

He sold everything he owned in STL and moved to the West coast, worked for Tesla for a bit and then Google. I think he still works for Google but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

trouser chili posted:

He sold everything he owned in STL and moved to the West coast, worked for Tesla for a bit and then Google. I think he still works for Google but I'm not sure.
He being Toaster Pastry, just to be clear.