Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Would a road trip thread be at home here? While not exactly “the outdoors,” it’s a form of travel that involves a decent amount of gear, techniques, route planning, and other topics that could be helpful to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't see why not, portions of a road trip could include the outdoors in some way.

:justpost:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Head Bee Guy posted:

Would a road trip thread be at home here? While not exactly “the outdoors,” it’s a form of travel that involves a decent amount of gear, techniques, route planning, and other topics that could be helpful to share.

I'd be interested. And you can call it overlanding if you ever drive on a gravel road.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'd be interested. And you can call it overlanding if you ever drive on a gravel road.

same. +1 to overlanding too.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

User drywall for a bash plate on your car and call it groverlanding

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Do we already have a fossil hunting thread?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

theHUNGERian posted:

Do we already have a fossil hunting thread?

Nope, looks like you just volunteered to make an OP. :justpost::posthaste:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

Nope, looks like you just volunteered to make an OP. :justpost::posthaste:

Done, but it ain't much. Let's hope more people contribute.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Our wonderful IK Safety Dance has agreed to be the newest TGO mod. Huzzah. :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Thanks, Elmnt! I really like this little subforum and all of the people who contribute. I'll do my best not to gently caress it all up too bad.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thankfully it's pretty easy. Congrats and welcome aboard.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Proposing a new rule:

Starting a wildfire is a bannable offense.

(surprisingly, very little fire starting in the hiking threads)

What are your thoughts?
It's a joke, but wildfires are no joke. Please be safe, especially those of you out in the California forever-drought

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

(surprisingly, very little fire starting in the hiking threads)

Pretty sure one of the recent fires up here was started by people hiking out to drink at a bandit fire ring.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Epitope posted:

Pretty sure one of the recent fires up here was started by people hiking out to drink at a bandit fire ring.

Well at least it wasn't from a Gender reveal party.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Well at least it wasn't from a Gender reveal party.

:rimshot:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, part of the deal when TGO started was that me and JB would be the initial mods and step down once the community has gotten to a point where mods could be selected from within. With Safety Dance agreeing to go from IK to mod and Verman continuing their excellent job as mod, I feel we have hit the point for me to step back. I also haven't had the free time to effectively mod both AI and TGO due to a new job, and neither forum deserves to have one of its caretakers not paying attention to it. Don't worry though, I'll still be around posting so you won't be free of my dumb rear end. :v:

It has been an absolute pleasure to see this forum grow and start to become something wonderful. I look forward to seeing where to develops from here. Thank you to everyone who posted, spent time making threads, contributing knowledge and made this a chill place to post about being outside. And a special thanks to Cyrano for being the admin to listen to my dumb agitating to turn this from an overstayed RSF to a proper forum. He championed the idea, did a bunch of the behind the scenes button pushing and gave a poo poo ton of advice on how to get this off the ground. Thanks bud.

Ya'll have been awesome. :lovebird:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
:patriot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:glomp:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Is there a WFA and WFR thread? I want to take another first aid training as it's been a little while and I'm considering going all the way and doing WFR in 2022.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't believe so and quite honestly I'm surprised there isn't one already. The only hesitation would be offering any kind of medical advice but honestly we should just get it started so that any interesting parties have a resource to go to.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Verman posted:

I don't believe so and quite honestly I'm surprised there isn't one already. The only hesitation would be offering any kind of medical advice but honestly we should just get it started so that any interesting parties have a resource to go to.

Offering vague medical advice on a web forum is definitely not great. But a list of reputable resources for training and gear wouldn't be bad.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

Offering vague medical advice on a web forum is definitely not great. But a list of reputable resources for training and gear wouldn't be bad.

I'd be interested in a thread like that. I just keep some gauze and surgical tape in my tackle kit and hope nothing bad happens. This is probably not smart. :v:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd be interested in a thread like that. I just keep some gauze and surgical tape in my tackle kit and hope nothing bad happens. This is probably not smart. :v:

I'm not qualified but maybe I could make one with links to legit programs and resources. You know after I move and start my new job and buy a new laptop and all that.

In the meantime everyone go follow NAR for educational pictures of gore.

:nws:
https://instagram.com/northamericanrescue
:nws:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Atticus_1354 posted:

Is there a WFA and WFR thread? I want to take another first aid training as it's been a little while and I'm considering going all the way and doing WFR in 2022.

3x WFA and TECC guy here who is hoping to go for WFR later this year. I would be very interested and would contribute to a thread if you wanted to collaborate on one.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

3x WFA and TECC guy here who is hoping to go for WFR later this year. I would be very interested and would contribute to a thread if you wanted to collaborate on one.

Sounds good. I am currently moving, switching jobs, and switching computers. But it's on my list when I get a place to type and work. I was thinking combining first aid gear, communication gear, resources for different places like parks and national forests, as well as resources for learning like some good youtube channels by actual medics. I'll definitely hit you up when I have a rough draft.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Do we have an outdoor cooking thread? I just want to say that Idaho Potatoes three cheese mashed potatoes are so loving good.

Throw on some wild chives and that's most of dinner taken care of.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Outrail posted:

Do we have an outdoor cooking thread? I just want to say that Idaho Potatoes three cheese mashed potatoes are so loving good.

If you post the thread, I'll read it! And also post if I have anything to contribute. I want to do more camping but I'm a little wary of outdoor cooking because there's more evidence that wildife season in California will be year-round.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I wouldn't be opposed to a cooking/food specific thread :justpost:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Whaddup I'm back from the middle of nowhere and I'm touching computers again. Did I miss anything?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

Whaddup I'm back from the middle of nowhere and I'm touching computers again. Did I miss anything?

the rei labor day sale

I just wish I had someone to camp with so that I'd have an excuse to get an REI Kingdom

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

No great loss there. I've got enough camping gear scattered around my apartment that I could open my own gear store.

I did pick up a Big Haul 90 duffel at the garage sale section of my local REI, complete with a pair of the previous owner's underwear. Dragged that around Iceland (not the underwear, I threw those out). I'm very happy with it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I didn't get around to buying anything. I really should have picked up new trail runners but with my back issues I won't be hiking anymore this year so I'll buy around spring next year.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Outrail posted:

I think there's a cast iron thread in GWS which might be the closest thing on the forums. But I'd support all kinds of outdoor cooking, especially weird/terrible/struggle poo poo we eat sometimes just to get calories in.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think there's a cast iron thread in GWS which might be the closest thing on the forums. But I'd support all kinds of outdoor cooking, especially weird/terrible/struggle poo poo we eat sometimes just to get calories in.

I have a decent amount of experience with camp cookery, in a decently broad set of contexts, with decently diverse sets of gear. I'll give this a shot later today after I get some household/errand stuff taken care of.

Edit: this is gonna take more time than I intended; mostly because of all the images I want to round up. and I have to dig my old boy scout handbook out of storage for some of said pics. I pondered doing an initial text-only cut, or an initial half-assed draft, but both those feel bad. i'll get this done by thursday.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 13, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Would y'all be interested in a TGO Secret Santa?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:hai:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A white elephantesque "Thanks grandma, I'll totally use that" style gift giving would be hilarious.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Elmnt80 posted:

A white elephantesque "Thanks grandma, I'll totally use that" style gift giving would be hilarious.

I'm going to send my santee apocalypse food

https://youtu.be/Q2A5csyMfw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dick Spoons for everyone!