Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone still planning on making a camp/backpacking cooking thread?

I always love reading about the neat stuff people make out on the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there should be a snowmobile megathread

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

there should be a snowmobile megathread

YES

I know nothing about snowmobiles, so I nominate you to be the OP

:justpost:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I would bookmark the hell it of a backpacking cooking thread. Cooking while camping is like... At least 50% of the draw. Food tastes better with a bit of ash.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I am surprised such a thread doesn't already exist!

I am brainstorming that right now in my offroad minivan AI thread. I am car camping, so I get to keep some fresh food in the cooler, but I'm also going to be gone 3 weeks, so most calories will need to be rehydrated.

Three weeks in the Mojave with no real itinerary or destination. So there will be time for all kinds of camp cooking adventures. Probably even a full iteration of "experiment for a bit, resupply in Barstow, go back out and cook better".

I have 4 days to put together some more ideas!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hi. Where are the archery threads? I looked here and in TFR and haven’t found any, but granted I’m NYE phoneposting at my parents’ and I’ve had a bit of wine.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hi. Where are the archery threads? I looked here and in TFR and haven’t found any, but granted I’m NYE phoneposting at my parents’ and I’ve had a bit of wine.

Here's the TFR one. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197043

The hunting thread in TFR also has some bow chat, depending on what you are looking for.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Are there any resources for crazy people like me Yoopers that do winter hiking and winter camping? We got our first hot tent and a stove, and I have a lot of strong opinions on footwear and such as a lifelong snowshoer and hunter.

While I’m here, is anyone else collecting multiple “sets” of camping gear? One set for car camping, one set for hike-in, one set for winter camping? Some things overlap, but it’s surprisingly few.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Are there any resources for crazy people like me Yoopers that do winter hiking and winter camping? We got our first hot tent and a stove, and I have a lot of strong opinions on footwear and such as a lifelong snowshoer and hunter.

While I’m here, is anyone else collecting multiple “sets” of camping gear? One set for car camping, one set for hike-in, one set for winter camping? Some things overlap, but it’s surprisingly few.

Most of my winter camping is on skis, and I have warm ski boots. Planning a trip on bikes, and wondering if I should get baffin boots or I already have sorrells or maybe shove my ski boot liners in something else. What's your foot setup?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Depends on the activity, but my go-to is the Muck Arctic Sport. They might be heavier than you need, and you might not be after the waterproofing that they come with, as they’re much more impermeable than other regular winter boots. I live in Michigan, though, so we have regular heavy snow, and all kinds of water bodies to contend with.

e: saw you were talking bike trip, and I would not recommend Mucks. They have very low ankle flexibility, and wouldn’t be suited for your needs. I’d probably go with a set of Keen winter hiking boots, or a similar contender. Keen seems to be a baseline for a lot of folks I work with for winter boots with tons of grip that also don’t weigh a lot.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 8, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hey, my wife and I just had a kid a couple weeks early, so things are a little hectic around here. Please feel free to PM me if something is on fire.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
But who will keep an eye on the reports?

Oh poo poo, forgot I'm a mod. J/k. Congrats, enjoy getting covered in poo.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Is there a thread for canoe and kayak camping, or is that lumped in with something else?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
People have posted about that in the hiking thread I think. And kayak specific questions can obviously go in the kayak thread. There's probably people in there who do it to. I'd check them both out.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My wife and I are trying to camp at each of the 101 state parks in Michigan, and I was hoping to record my thoughts and maybe offer a review on each of them. Would it be cool to crank out a thread here?

In each main post I'd be hitting these items:
  • Sites
  • Facilities
  • Amenities
  • Warnings
  • Who's it good for?

Is there anything else someone would want to know about camping at a specific park?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Might be good to include a nearby section if there's cool stuff in the area you hit up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Lunchables posted:

My wife and I are trying to camp at each of the 101 state parks in Michigan, and I was hoping to record my thoughts and maybe offer a review on each of them. Would it be cool to crank out a thread here?

In each main post I'd be hitting these items:
  • Sites
  • Facilities
  • Amenities
  • Warnings
  • Who's it good for?

Is there anything else someone would want to know about camping at a specific park?

bug situation. Ticks are loving INSANE down here right now. Mind bogglingly bad. I picked about two dozen of four different species off me and my kids/friends at the campsite after a hike, including the Lone Star tick.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oracle posted:

bug situation. Ticks are loving INSANE down here right now. Mind bogglingly bad. I picked about two dozen of four different species off me and my kids/friends at the campsite after a hike, including the Lone Star tick.

I’ve been mentioning bugs and recommended seasons for all my reviews so far in the “warnings” section. It was the perfect year for ticks, unfortunately. Cool wet spring, and it hasn’t dried out yet.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is there just a general camping thread or maybe a car camping thread, or is the hiking one close enough?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rick posted:

Is there just a general camping thread or maybe a car camping thread, or is the hiking one close enough?

There's the Hiking/Backpacking thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521471
The Backpacking/Camping gear thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817829
and the RV thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895768

I don't think there's a dedicated camping and only camping thread that gets a lot of traction, but I think any of those three threads would be a good starting point.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dental floss makes a pretty good general camping thread. Stronger than sewing thread, and you're probably carrying it anyway

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Would a nature photography / trail cam pictures thread be something that would be appreciated here? I have loads of silly animals on my yard and in the adjacent woods, plenty of pictures of them, but no place to post them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
There's already a wildlife photography thread in the photo forum. I would worry this might overlap too much with that thread but maybe not? Anybody else face an opinion? I guess I don't care too much either way.

Wildlife photography: zooming with your feet could get you killed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462132&pagenumber=53&perpage=40

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but in the past there's been a thread about the Everest season, I can't remember which subforum because it was pre 2020. Is there a thread this year? I'm just someone who's fascinated and horrified by what people do, not really knowledgeable enough to make a thread myself I think.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty dead, though not completely. Maybe it will stumble down to high camp and make it another year

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933688&pagenumber=65#lastpost

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Epitope posted:

It's pretty dead, though not completely. Maybe it will stumble down to high camp and make it another year

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933688&pagenumber=65#lastpost

Ah thanks, I didn't think to look in GBS.

Hoping for another year of schadenfreude of out of shape Americans and Canadians paying for people to drag their asses to the summit.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Did we ever get that WFA thread?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Here’s a dumb idea that I’m going to blurt out anyway: Do the thing with the traveling megathreads to encourage people to click through this subforum to get to the threads they like.

Like the trump thread migrates here and gets camping-themed moderation for a week I don’t know

I don’t know anything about the previous traveling megathreads or why they were traveling or any associated drama so please don’t kill me, I just want an answer to my cobbler question in the cooking thread

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Here’s a dumb idea that I’m going to blurt out anyway: Do the thing with the traveling megathreads to encourage people to click through this subforum to get to the threads they like.

Like the trump thread migrates here and gets camping-themed moderation for a week I don’t know

I don’t know anything about the previous traveling megathreads or why they were traveling or any associated drama so please don’t kill me, I just want an answer to my cobbler question in the cooking thread

Can you provide a link to it?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

the yeti posted:

Did we ever get that WFA thread?

No, but I’d be happy to co-author one or contribute to one.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pantslesswithwolves posted:

No, but I’d be happy to co-author one or contribute to one.

I’m unfortunately not able to contribute, just interested in the topic being an outdoors nerd and having just got my stop the bleed cert.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can make the thread without being particularly knowledgeable on the topic. Just put a few links, some general outline stuff, and maybe a picture or two. If you're shy/lazy I probably have time to do it this week. I'm quite good at making threads no one posts in

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm still not clear on what WFA stands for.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I remember getting a wilderness first aid cert a long time ago and I wish I remembered how to apply an ankle brace with just a roll of athletic tape.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

I'm still not clear on what WFA stands for.

wilderness first aid

EDIT: The class I took was by NOLS at a local REI

https://www.nols.edu/en/coursefinder/courses/wilderness-first-aid-WFA/

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When in doubt, just post ... But here are my thoughts. I would love to hear other opinions/input.

I think a wilderness first aid thread could be cool and very interesting but also a risky area for pseudo science and armchair quarterbacks who have no formal education or training in it hawking bad advice (ex. sucking venom out of a bite, using a tourniquet for a broken leg etc). We have to be careful.

That said, I'm all for it but I think it should be written by someone with a keen understanding of what's involved with the proper training and knowledge to do so. I don't know who has that skill or how to find that goon to do it, I'll trust the person who wants the thread will do that work. If we have a professional or an expert, that person should probably mod/IK the thread.

A thread like that covers topics and scenarios that could potentially have very real consequences if someone found themselves in a lovely situation or tried to help someone they encounter. That would be my primary reason for ensuring it's written by someone who is level headed and properly educated/trained in wilderness first aid (both theoretically and practically speaking). The last thing we need is some random goon putting a tourniquet on some strangers leg for a sprained ankle and doing real damage to this person because they read through the OP on something awfuls TGO Wilderness first aid thread and felt like being a hero. I feel like I know a decent amount of survival and first aid skills and I've watched a stupid amount of those "I shouldn't be alive" shows and documentaries because I find survival fascinating. I would like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about what to do in a poo poo scenario but I wouldn't feel qualified giving others advice.

I say find a qualified person to do a write up and/or moderate/IK the thread. We can always implode it if things so south but maybe it will get the right people into it from the start and develop a good culture of learning.

While I think wilderness first aid is interesting enough for it's own thread, I wonder if it might draw more traction if it's coupled with wilderness first responders/search and rescue stuff. I thought we have a few S&R volunteers that post but I don't recall their names. Hearing stories of actual events is intriguing and great to learn from.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I agree with all of this. I think any OP should begin with a very clear disclaimer about staying within the limits of your training, that this thread is not for medical advice, etc. It should be tightly moderated by an IK to cut down on bad information being offered, even if it’s ah honest mistake.

I’d envision this being a thread about how you can get training, general questions about things like “what do I put in my first aid kit” and anecdotes from the field/training/news. If anyone else is interested in collaborating like the guy a couple of posts up thread, we could work on an OP on Google Docs and run it by the TGO mods for approval.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm out. Godspeed

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I would like to quite literally sit by a fire. Is there a thread with info on firepits, building them, buying various pre-made ones(i.e. Solostoves, propane fueled pits, etc) and such things? I am talking mainly about permanent or semi-permanent structures for the yard! We just bought a house with a yard and this is like one of the top 3 things I am looking forward to about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

swickles posted:

I would like to quite literally sit by a fire. Is there a thread with info on firepits, building them, buying various pre-made ones(i.e. Solostoves, propane fueled pits, etc) and such things? I am talking mainly about permanent or semi-permanent structures for the yard! We just bought a house with a yard and this is like one of the top 3 things I am looking forward to about it.

Not that I'm aware of. Here are a few threads that might have more info/discussion around them under hobbies/house/craft for fire pits as they pertain to having one around your home. If you want to build a thread specifically dedicated to that topic, go ahead. If not, I'm sure you can get any questions answered in either of the other two listed below.

Landscaping forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

Home Zone
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3770037

Also, This Old House has a few youtube videos on building your own. They tend to be a huge resource for all things home ownership. I grew up in Michigan and have spent plenty a days around a fire pit, both at home and while camping. When we bought our house 2 years ago, we decided to pick up a solo stove. I liked the way it burns with far less smoke than normal, it looks great, and its portable so I can move it away from our patio if needed. I put some round cobble around the base to make it look a little more permanent. The downside about those kinds of pits are that they burn wood very fast and (unless they changed the design) getting the ash out of the bottom is a pain in the rear end, you literally have to turn it upside down and shake it out, or vacuum it out. I have the bonfire size (medium size). I can't imagine doing that with the Yukon which is their largest pit.