Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

We could do trip report threads. Not sure how many people would engage but it would kind of be like ask/tell only for cool trips outside. If you think it is a good idea I could make one this week from a trip last winter. It will have some overlap with the ski thread but I will explain more and add more videos and pics.

Trying this
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3939974

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for your service, happy trails

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I started typing no you're right summer is good actually. And then a mosquito bit me and

But anyway if the snow stays isothermic from here, stoked for mushrooms next

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

(surprisingly, very little fire starting in the hiking threads)

Pretty sure one of the recent fires up here was started by people hiking out to drink at a bandit fire ring.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Are there any resources for crazy people like me Yoopers that do winter hiking and winter camping? We got our first hot tent and a stove, and I have a lot of strong opinions on footwear and such as a lifelong snowshoer and hunter.

While I’m here, is anyone else collecting multiple “sets” of camping gear? One set for car camping, one set for hike-in, one set for winter camping? Some things overlap, but it’s surprisingly few.

Most of my winter camping is on skis, and I have warm ski boots. Planning a trip on bikes, and wondering if I should get baffin boots or I already have sorrells or maybe shove my ski boot liners in something else. What's your foot setup?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dental floss makes a pretty good general camping thread. Stronger than sewing thread, and you're probably carrying it anyway

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty dead, though not completely. Maybe it will stumble down to high camp and make it another year

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933688&pagenumber=65#lastpost

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can make the thread without being particularly knowledgeable on the topic. Just put a few links, some general outline stuff, and maybe a picture or two. If you're shy/lazy I probably have time to do it this week. I'm quite good at making threads no one posts in

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm out. Godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

I would like to quite literally sit by a fire. Is there a thread with info on firepits, building them, buying various pre-made ones(i.e. Solostoves, propane fueled pits, etc) and such things? I am talking mainly about permanent or semi-permanent structures for the yard! We just bought a house with a yard and this is like one of the top 3 things I am looking forward to about it.

You'd probably get some responses in one of the homeowner threads, or maybe the landscaping thread. We got one of the metal ones from the hardware store, which is fine but not amazing. We've been moving it so it doesn't rust and so it doesn't permanently take up a spot, but then you have to lug it out to use it which is kindof a high activation barrier.