Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Are there any resources for crazy people like me Yoopers that do winter hiking and winter camping? We got our first hot tent and a stove, and I have a lot of strong opinions on footwear and such as a lifelong snowshoer and hunter.

While I’m here, is anyone else collecting multiple “sets” of camping gear? One set for car camping, one set for hike-in, one set for winter camping? Some things overlap, but it’s surprisingly few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Depends on the activity, but my go-to is the Muck Arctic Sport. They might be heavier than you need, and you might not be after the waterproofing that they come with, as they’re much more impermeable than other regular winter boots. I live in Michigan, though, so we have regular heavy snow, and all kinds of water bodies to contend with.

e: saw you were talking bike trip, and I would not recommend Mucks. They have very low ankle flexibility, and wouldn’t be suited for your needs. I’d probably go with a set of Keen winter hiking boots, or a similar contender. Keen seems to be a baseline for a lot of folks I work with for winter boots with tons of grip that also don’t weigh a lot.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 8, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

My wife and I are trying to camp at each of the 101 state parks in Michigan, and I was hoping to record my thoughts and maybe offer a review on each of them. Would it be cool to crank out a thread here?

In each main post I'd be hitting these items:
  • Sites
  • Facilities
  • Amenities
  • Warnings
  • Who's it good for?

Is there anything else someone would want to know about camping at a specific park?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oracle posted:

bug situation. Ticks are loving INSANE down here right now. Mind bogglingly bad. I picked about two dozen of four different species off me and my kids/friends at the campsite after a hike, including the Lone Star tick.

I’ve been mentioning bugs and recommended seasons for all my reviews so far in the “warnings” section. It was the perfect year for ticks, unfortunately. Cool wet spring, and it hasn’t dried out yet.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Outside is where it happens man. Outside is where it’s at.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

b mad at me posted:

Yeah thanks 60s Disney guy. I don't need sunburn and heatstroke because you think it's groovy.

Clearly you need heatstroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

drat