Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Elmnt80 posted:

I figure I'll post about my outdoors activities so ya'll can get to know me! My outdoors activities lately are limited to fishing and a camping trip now and again, but I'd love to add kayaking and maybe offroad bike riding to that list if I can ever figure out how to ride a bike through dry super fine sand without eating poo poo repeatedly. (its been almost a decade since I've tried and I still have vivid memories of repeatedly eating poo poo. It wasn't fun.)

My outdoor related activities include day hiking, backpacking, car camping, snowboarding/snowshoeing, off roading, dirt biking (trail specific), RC rock crawlers, upland bird hunting, photography etc. I used to be really into cycling (BMX, road racing, MTB) but BMX caused too many injuries, road cycling wasn't my favorite, and MTB was just a gateway to dirt biking.

spwrozek posted:

We could do trip report threads. Not sure how many people would engage but it would kind of be like ask/tell only for cool trips outside. If you think it is a good idea I could make one this week from a trip last winter. It will have some overlap with the ski thread but I will explain more and add more videos and pics.

I (and assuming most) have local sites to check for trip reports for accurate conditions etc but show-and-tell is always cool. I think that could be a good idea that might inspire some others to get outside and talk about it. It kind of already happens in the hike/camp megathread but a dedicated thread might gain traction. What I've noticed over the last few years, a lot of people come here for trip recommendations no matter if they're newbies or seasoned vets. Books, websites, apps etc can be one thing, but getting personal recommendations from people that have had boots on the trail is infinitely more useful. I'm not sure how often it would get traffic but maybe pairing a "trip report/recommendation" combo thread could be a good start. A place for people to share their recent trips and get recommendations for future trips.

Another concept I was thinking about was some sort of Gear Swap exchange/gift thread. I'm part of a "buy nothing" group in my area and its been very interesting/cool to see what people are willing to part with just to get rid of clutter. A lot of things we consider to have little value could be huge to someone trying to save some cash or get into the sport. The more I started to think about it the more it hurt my brain trying to figure out logistics/shipping/etc. Anything involving payment would have to be an SAmart thing which is what I would like to avoid but I suppose the photography section have their resale thread. Ideally, the simplest thing would be to have it be purely gifting. I have no idea if this could work but I feel like it would build some community by people exchanging gear and helping out those getting started. In the last however many years I've been a member on SA, I've found some incredible deals on random poo poo like camera gear that I wouldn't have anywhere else. Other goons have sent things purely out of the goodness of their heart. Goons are pretty generous so who knows. Thoughts?

Lastly, I was considering a thread about close calls/accidents/things you're afraid of/things you learned because of it. Getting lost, getting in way over your head, getting hurt, animal encounters, etc. I worry that this could turn into a weird spooky story internet-dick-waving contest about who has the coolest injury scar and people making poo poo up. Personally, I'm always fascinated by survival stories. I have a few friends with incredibly tragic outdoor related stories, I watch a lot of outdoor/survival related media and its always been fascinating to hear their first hand account. Maybe it can be a place to learn from others mistakes/mishaps. I have no idea. As someone who initially had a lot of anxiety while backpacking, maybe it could be helpful for some people or put things into perspective. My only fear is diluting the megathread by pulling all of this content out of it, but honestly with the exception of the show and tell thread idea, I havent seen much of the other two ideas in the megathread.

I think an icon could be cool. I'm a graphic designer and can probably do one if anybody has any specific ideas on what we want.

As long as I've been a member of SA, I'm pretty pumped to see the outdoors get its own bedroom in the house tent in the backyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Should there be a separate gear giveaway thread and buy/sell thread? Combine them into one?

Probably best to combine. The giveaway thread might not get as much traction. I can try to write up op today. Been pondering on of there were any ways it could work best.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

So while out fishing I came across this nerd and they said they'd be a mod, so say hello to new mod verman. :v:

Funny thing is I don't enjoy fishing ... :ssh:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I noticed there is no surfing thread, should I make one? Is surfing too cool for goons? Surely I'm not the only mediocre surfer here.

I don't see why not. I've only ever surfed on vacation in hawaii with very mediocre success but yeah someone is probably into it. I recently tried wake surfing which was really cool but entirely different from traditional surfing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nice work

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't recall seeing one, create one for your fellow nude fart pool enthusiasts!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Get hobbies that fill all seasons and achieve ultimate outdoor fulfillment. I was just skiing last week and went dirt biking yesterday. I love this time of year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't see why not, portions of a road trip could include the outdoors in some way.

:justpost:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thankfully it's pretty easy. Congrats and welcome aboard.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
:patriot:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't believe so and quite honestly I'm surprised there isn't one already. The only hesitation would be offering any kind of medical advice but honestly we should just get it started so that any interesting parties have a resource to go to.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I wouldn't be opposed to a cooking/food specific thread :justpost:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I didn't get around to buying anything. I really should have picked up new trail runners but with my back issues I won't be hiking anymore this year so I'll buy around spring next year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
But who will keep an eye on the reports?

Oh poo poo, forgot I'm a mod. J/k. Congrats, enjoy getting covered in poo.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
There's already a wildlife photography thread in the photo forum. I would worry this might overlap too much with that thread but maybe not? Anybody else face an opinion? I guess I don't care too much either way.

Wildlife photography: zooming with your feet could get you killed.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462132&pagenumber=53&perpage=40

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
When in doubt, just post ... But here are my thoughts. I would love to hear other opinions/input.

I think a wilderness first aid thread could be cool and very interesting but also a risky area for pseudo science and armchair quarterbacks who have no formal education or training in it hawking bad advice (ex. sucking venom out of a bite, using a tourniquet for a broken leg etc). We have to be careful.

That said, I'm all for it but I think it should be written by someone with a keen understanding of what's involved with the proper training and knowledge to do so. I don't know who has that skill or how to find that goon to do it, I'll trust the person who wants the thread will do that work. If we have a professional or an expert, that person should probably mod/IK the thread.

A thread like that covers topics and scenarios that could potentially have very real consequences if someone found themselves in a lovely situation or tried to help someone they encounter. That would be my primary reason for ensuring it's written by someone who is level headed and properly educated/trained in wilderness first aid (both theoretically and practically speaking). The last thing we need is some random goon putting a tourniquet on some strangers leg for a sprained ankle and doing real damage to this person because they read through the OP on something awfuls TGO Wilderness first aid thread and felt like being a hero. I feel like I know a decent amount of survival and first aid skills and I've watched a stupid amount of those "I shouldn't be alive" shows and documentaries because I find survival fascinating. I would like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about what to do in a poo poo scenario but I wouldn't feel qualified giving others advice.

I say find a qualified person to do a write up and/or moderate/IK the thread. We can always implode it if things so south but maybe it will get the right people into it from the start and develop a good culture of learning.

While I think wilderness first aid is interesting enough for it's own thread, I wonder if it might draw more traction if it's coupled with wilderness first responders/search and rescue stuff. I thought we have a few S&R volunteers that post but I don't recall their names. Hearing stories of actual events is intriguing and great to learn from.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

swickles posted:

I would like to quite literally sit by a fire. Is there a thread with info on firepits, building them, buying various pre-made ones(i.e. Solostoves, propane fueled pits, etc) and such things? I am talking mainly about permanent or semi-permanent structures for the yard! We just bought a house with a yard and this is like one of the top 3 things I am looking forward to about it.

Not that I'm aware of. Here are a few threads that might have more info/discussion around them under hobbies/house/craft for fire pits as they pertain to having one around your home. If you want to build a thread specifically dedicated to that topic, go ahead. If not, I'm sure you can get any questions answered in either of the other two listed below.

Landscaping forum
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

Home Zone
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3770037

Also, This Old House has a few youtube videos on building your own. They tend to be a huge resource for all things home ownership. I grew up in Michigan and have spent plenty a days around a fire pit, both at home and while camping. When we bought our house 2 years ago, we decided to pick up a solo stove. I liked the way it burns with far less smoke than normal, it looks great, and its portable so I can move it away from our patio if needed. I put some round cobble around the base to make it look a little more permanent. The downside about those kinds of pits are that they burn wood very fast and (unless they changed the design) getting the ash out of the bottom is a pain in the rear end, you literally have to turn it upside down and shake it out, or vacuum it out. I have the bonfire size (medium size). I can't imagine doing that with the Yukon which is their largest pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've got friends in sf bay area and there's already a lot of fires out that way. Here in Washington, we didn't get nearly as much spring/early summer rain that we normally do. We've got fires out east but I have a feeling august and September are going to be brutal.