Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Evil Kit posted:

That is the most noob trap perk in the game lol. You just crouch spam at start as soon as you're in TR and boom, now you know if the killer was dumb enough to bring a terrible perk.

Doesn't even cause the survivor to scream or reveal themselves so there's no opportunity cost to doing so.

I'm aware it's a joke but c'mon now, put in some effort.

"survivors start the match with only 5 crouches available. After using them they become permanently exposed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medullah posted:

"survivors start the match with only 5 crouches available. After using them they become permanently exposed"

There are legitimate reasons to crouch so this is just boring and OP.

Relyssa posted:

Make it so they immediately die and their account is permanently banned as well.

Better :hmmyes:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Make it so they immediately die and their account is permanently banned as well.

Make DS work the same way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah that’s why I said during endgame collapse. If they teabag they get slugged. Give it a useful secondary effect too.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Evil Kit posted:

That is the most noob trap perk in the game lol. You just crouch spam at start as soon as you're in TR and boom, now you know if the killer was dumb enough to bring a terrible perk.

Doesn't even cause the survivor to scream or reveal themselves so there's no opportunity cost to doing so.

I'm aware it's a joke but c'mon now, put in some effort.

Evil Kit posted:

There are legitimate reasons to crouch so this is just boring and OP.

:goonsay:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-4lk-EWPk

If anyone's bored Otz has a 9 hour new video on add ons. Killer only.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-4lk-EWPk

If anyone's bored Otz has a 9 hour new video on add ons. Killer only.

With no written or image version whatsoever, making it useless for searching or reference.
Thanks Otz.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It has timestamps.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

NEW PERK: Friction

Every time a survivor crouches, they scream, and if they crouch 5 times in a period of 10 seconds, they immediately burst into flames.

NEW STATUS EFFECT: On Fire. Survivor is on fire. Flames can spread from survivor to survivor. A survivor on fire will lose a health state every 20 seconds if not put out. Fire can only be put out by Plague's power. A survivor on fire for more than 1 minute will burn to a crisp and instantly die

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SkyeAuroline posted:

With no written or image version whatsoever, making it useless for searching or reference.
Thanks Otz.

Besides the mentioned time stamps, I’m certain he’ll also have a written version on his site at some point.

What a bizarre reaction to one dude going out of his way for 9 hours to provide free info.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm not sure if a nine hour video on addons is a community service or a cry for help. That's like a month's worth of work.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Besides the mentioned time stamps, I’m certain he’ll also have a written version on his site at some point.

What a bizarre reaction to one dude going out of his way for 9 hours to provide free info.

Given that everything else of his that I've used has had the text or image version available up front, yeah, it's great for a hard of hearing person like me to have to replay the clips 3 or 4 times to catch what he's saying, when it's less effort to put the written version together considering he's already writing a script and doing the ranking of each item.

If a full, written version hits his site at some point, great. In the meantime, yeah, I'll continue to dislike what ad revenue optimization has done for people like me who need text for accessibility purposes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not sure if a nine hour video on addons is a community service or a cry for help. That's like a month's worth of work.

I mean, it is his job.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

SkyeAuroline posted:

Given that everything else of his that I've used has had the text or image version available up front, yeah, it's great for a hard of hearing person like me to have to replay the clips 3 or 4 times to catch what he's saying, when it's less effort to put the written version together considering he's already writing a script and doing the ranking of each item.

If a full, written version hits his site at some point, great. In the meantime, yeah, I'll continue to dislike what ad revenue optimization has done for people like me who need text for accessibility purposes.

I understand wanting accessibility and all that, but otz is not a company or doing this for anything other than his youtube channel. Being mad that something exists but isn't especially for you in the exact format you want is a weird take. Disapointed? Sure. Mad? Get outta here.

edit: https://youtubetranscript.com/?v=tX-4lk-EWPk

No idea if this helps but it claims to output the whole video into a searchable text dump. Not formatted or pretty but its something

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 24, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I think it's okay to be irritated, actually. Like as a HoH person you have to understand it's not just Otz for them - for anyone with a disability or other accommodation needs, it's a death of a thousand cuts. It's living in a hostile world that forgets you exist every day.

It's frustrating to run into inaccessible stuff when you're used to it being a somewhat accessible resource. I have this a lot with dealing with games that, in the year of our Lord 2023, still don't have basic key remapping, even though it's one of the first things you learn in a game development tutorial for any major engine. Granted, I'm left handed and not disabled (at least not in a way that affects keybinds) but it's the same principle.

Considering they're venting here and not Otz's email, it didn't really come across to me as "I'm mad at Otz and feel entitled to his time and labor that he is doing for free" so much as, "it loving sucks to have another resource be inaccessible from a content creator I enjoy when I could previously rely on them".

Unrelatedly, I wrote a thing yesterday about toxicity in DBD where I tried to articulate the issue and, more specifically, describe why it is disproportionately bad for killer yet survivors so often wrongly perceive it as equal or worse for survivor. I hope it's okay to share here. Please let me know what you think if you read it :)

https://medium.com/@prettypinkpansy/the-both-sides-paradox-of-toxicity-in-dead-by-daylight-5e99a8f3ff9e

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh hey I read and retweeted that an hour ago, it was a drat good article

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Danaru posted:

Oh hey I read and retweeted that an hour ago, it was a drat good article
I knew I recognized that name in my mentions from somewhere! Thank you so much! :neckbeard:

I thought of your posts in this thread and felt a little bad when I wrote that "Michael Myers is generally considered poo poo tier" line, lmao. When will we have justice for our boy...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

It's frustrating to run into inaccessible stuff when you're used to it being a somewhat accessible resource. I have this a lot with dealing with games that, in the year of our Lord 2023, still don't have basic key remapping, even though it's one of the first things you learn in a game development tutorial for any major engine. Granted, I'm left handed and not disabled (at least not in a way that affects keybinds) but it's the same principle.

Unrelated to your main point, but REwasd has been a godsend for me for remapping when games suck about it. In DBD I used it with my MMO mouse to make sure I didn't have to touch the keyboard for anything but movement, and even added the functionality to toggle right click while repairing/healing/cleansing before it became standard in the game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Unrelatedly, I wrote a thing yesterday about toxicity in DBD where I tried to articulate the issue and, more specifically, describe why it is disproportionately bad for killer yet survivors so often wrongly perceive it as equal or worse for survivor. I hope it's okay to share here. Please let me know what you think if you read it :)

https://medium.com/@prettypinkpansy/the-both-sides-paradox-of-toxicity-in-dead-by-daylight-5e99a8f3ff9e

This is extremely good. Thank you for sharing it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

Unrelated to your main point, but REwasd has been a godsend for me for remapping when games suck about it. In DBD I used it with my MMO mouse to make sure I didn't have to touch the keyboard for anything but movement, and even added the functionality to toggle right click while repairing/healing/cleansing before it became standard in the game.
Ooh, cool! I might show this to a disabled friend of mine who really benefits from toggle stuff in games. :)

My needs are simpler so I use a simple Autohotkey script for stuff, myself. If anyone hasn't heard of it by now, it's a super simple free scripting language. You can use it to make your own simple key replacements, autoclickers, toggle holds, or even more crazy stuff. A replacement script looks something like this:
code:
w::up
s::down
a::left
d::right
I just have something like this with my usual keybinds (numpad 8/6/4/2 for movement, bottom arrow key for run, num5 for jump, left arrow for crouch) and I make a copy and tweak it as-needed.

Thankfully I usually don't need it for anything but indies (which, if they're charging money, I still feel like they should put in this extremely basic accessibility feature, but for cheap/free/game jam stuff it's understandable) or early access stuff, but some higher budget titles have disappointed me, like Orcs Must Die 3. Or there's titles like Borderlands 3 that allow remapping but they clearly didn't change all instances of that key in the code so I have to press Z or Q or whatever anyway. Or stuff that only lets you remap SOME of the keys.

Relyssa posted:

This is extremely good. Thank you for sharing it.
Thank you. I really appreciate hearing that.

I've been considering posting it in a more visible, survivor-sided space like the Reddit or forums but part of me wonders if it's even worth it. Like would it even reach anyone? Or would I just get people who stop reading as soon as I say killers have it worse and post "yeah but I personally have been slugged and teabagged by 300 ghost faces every day, no my 100 prestige and TTV name and Made For This+Buckle Up+For The People+Head On have nothing to do with it, and I'm definitely not toxic unless they are first, in which case I always am" in my inbox until I die.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 24, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

Ooh, cool! I might show this to a disabled friend of mine who really benefits from toggle stuff in games. :)

My needs are simpler so I use a simple Autohotkey script for stuff, myself. If anyone hasn't heard of it by now, it's a super simple free scripting language. You can use it to make your own simple key replacements, autoclickers, toggle holds, or even more crazy stuff. A replacement script looks something like this:
code:
w::up
s::down
a::left
d::right
I just have something like this with my usual keybinds (numpad 8/6/4/2 for movement, bottom arrow key for run, num5 for jump, right arrow for crouch) and I make a copy and tweak it as-needed.

Thankfully I usually don't need it for anything but indies (which, if they're charging money, I still feel like they should put in this extremely basic accessibility feature, but for cheap/free/game jam stuff it's more understandable) or early access stuff, but some higher budget titles have disappointed me, like Orcs Must Die 3. Or there's titles like Borderlands 3 that allow remapping but they clearly didn't change it in all instances of the code so I have to press Z or Q or whatever anyway. Or stuff that only lets you remap SOME of the keys.

Thank you. I really appreciate hearing that.

I've been considering posting it in a more visible, survivor-sided space like the Reddit or forums but part of me wonders if it's even worth it. Like would it even reach anyone? Or would I just get people who stop reading as soon as I say killers have it worse and post "yeah but I personally have been slugged and teabagged by 300 ghost faces every day, no my 100 prestige and TTV name and Made For This+Buckle Up+For The People+Head On have nothing to do with it, and I'm definitely not toxic unless they are first, in which case I always am" in my inbox until I die.

Yeah I used AHK extensively but REWASD has almost completely replaced it simply because of ease of use and the GUI. I even used it to code macros to AFK farm stuff in Mortal Kombat 11. :D

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

As a new player and killer exclusive player I will say I haven’t had any problems with toxicity at all, in game. The game doesn’t even have a chat! People teabag but that’s about it. Sometimes you get your rear end kicked and people hang out by the gate but it’s nothing that would make me afraid to play the game. The toxicity comes when you try to google poo poo. I haven’t engaged with any community stuff outside the game—people talk about “playing nice” as killer and I have no idea what that means or what the expectations are. I don’t camp people because then everyone else does gens, I dont “tunnel” but I don’t go out of my way to keep someone alive if they throw themselves in front of me three times. I have a ton of fun!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Back when I played this game on console I had people sending me friend requests (because my DMs were turned off) with "Go die of cancer" attached. Really impressive considering I guess they would have had to type that poo poo out on a controller

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

DeathChicken posted:

Back when I played this game on console I had people sending me friend requests (because my DMs were turned off) with "Go die of cancer" attached. Really impressive considering I guess they would have had to type that poo poo out on a controller

It always amazes me when people receive long messages full of insults on console. Like you held on to that rage for the time it takes to type out a full paragraph, that's impressive

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

As a new player and killer exclusive player I will say I haven’t had any problems with toxicity at all, in game. The game doesn’t even have a chat! People teabag but that’s about it. Sometimes you get your rear end kicked and people hang out by the gate but it’s nothing that would make me afraid to play the game. The toxicity comes when you try to google poo poo. I haven’t engaged with any community stuff outside the game—people talk about “playing nice” as killer and I have no idea what that means or what the expectations are. I don’t camp people because then everyone else does gens, I dont “tunnel” but I don’t go out of my way to keep someone alive if they throw themselves in front of me three times. I have a ton of fun!

Most verbal toxicity occurs in post game chat, which if you have muted you will never see! Of course if you're on Steam and your profile isn't private than you may occasionally get a particularly salty person posting some heinous poo poo as a comment or just a dumb - karma thing.

Tbh if you're already zen about the game then you won't deal with any of the usual toxicity issues unless you actively seek it out (never visit BHVR's forums) or you hit the highest levels and survivors start learning how actually pull off some of the ruder things they can do with coordinated team play. That said, if that never bothers you hell yeah! Have fun.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

You can plug a USB keyboard into a console and type your messages normally.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Thanks Otz.

He puts the infographics in his discord server, and usually in the description, not sure why it wasn't there this time. This doesn't have the descriptions of the addons in it, but you can look ingame for them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

curiousTerminal posted:

He puts the infographics in his discord server, and usually in the description, not sure why it wasn't there this time. This doesn't have the descriptions of the addons in it, but you can look ingame for them.

Thank you.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Tiny Myers posted:

Reading this and enjoying it, small note on decisive strike, if memory serves originally it was a one time use perk that allowed you to escape regardless of unhook status. Not really implemented as an anti-tunneling mechanic in that sense as again if my memory is right originally you could fail the check and use it for later (I think this got patched out later?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

Most verbal toxicity occurs in post game chat, which if you have muted you will never see! Of course if you're on Steam and your profile isn't private than you may occasionally get a particularly salty person posting some heinous poo poo as a comment or just a dumb - karma thing.

Tbh if you're already zen about the game then you won't deal with any of the usual toxicity issues unless you actively seek it out (never visit BHVR's forums) or you hit the highest levels and survivors start learning how actually pull off some of the ruder things they can do with coordinated team play. That said, if that never bothers you hell yeah! Have fun.
Tell me how I can remove that chat entirely!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tiny Myers posted:

Echoing that this was a good read, thanks for writing it!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nessus posted:

Tell me how I can remove that chat entirely!

There's a button on the same line as the text input line, press that and it all goes away

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I guess I'm gonna poke the elephant in the room but should we just make it a tradition to reboot the thread whenever the current OP ends up permabanned?

I'd insert an edited Doofenshmirtz nickel meme here if I wasn't stuck at work right now. If y'all don't really care that's fine, just wanted to check in case folks wanted to be able to get edits in the OP without having to bother a mod for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

I guess I'm gonna poke the elephant in the room but should we just make it a tradition to reboot the thread whenever the current OP ends up permabanned?

I'd insert an edited Doofenshmirtz nickel meme here if I wasn't stuck at work right now. If y'all don't really care that's fine, just wanted to check in case folks wanted to be able to get edits in the OP without having to bother a mod for it.

New OP should just be this

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Medullah posted:

New OP should just be this

Excuse me that tier list is invalid for being very rude to Lisa. Rejected. :colbert:

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Evil Kit posted:

I think that's a good idea. Permabanned folks are notoriously unreliable when it comes to keeping the first posts in their threads updated.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Definitely a good idea. What do we need in the new OP?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Relyssa posted:

An accurate summary of the game, links to key resources (probably game pages and maybe Otz), a selection of quality memes, basic-bitch bonehead tips for stupid newbies

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Relyssa posted:

I agree with Nessus for the most part, but explicitly want to say that an accurate summary should include both the good and the bad parts of the game.

Maybe include a section that rotates the most recent addition to the game if you feel like putting in the effort to keep it up to date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah you want to be up front about the limits of the game, which I would probably summarize as "it's basically ultra spooky tag; many players are either very very experienced or pretty rude; balance is hosed up if not terminally."