Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nessus posted:

An accurate summary of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A short summary about how the chapters and shrine work would probably be a good idea too so new people don't think they have to buy $400 in DLC just to compete.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

I agree with Nessus for the most part, but explicitly want to say that an accurate summary should include both the good and the bad parts of the game.

Maybe include a section that rotates the most recent addition to the game if you feel like putting in the effort to keep it up to date?

I'm happy to make the thread and keep the op up to date if there are no objections, just want to collect as much stuff to put in it as needed. If folks want to throw links and resources in for me to compile please do.

e: good god i am bad at writing summaries of things

e2: made a google doc here with full editing for everyone. put what i've got in there so far, when we're eventually happy with it (it needs a lot of work) I can get the thread posted. will reserve the second post for patch notes/chapter info

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 25, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

I'm happy to make the thread and keep the op up to date if there are no objections, just want to collect as much stuff to put in it as needed. If folks want to throw links and resources in for me to compile please do.

e: good god i am bad at writing summaries of things

e2: made a google doc here with full editing for everyone. put what i've got in there so far, when we're eventually happy with it (it needs a lot of work) I can get the thread posted. will reserve the second post for patch notes/chapter info

Here you go I helped

quote:

Dead by Daylight is an intense multiplayer horror game that thrusts you into a deadly cat-and-mouse pursuit between survivors and killers. As a new player, you'll choose to play either as one of the survivors desperately trying to escape a nightmarish realm or as a killer, hunting down your prey with chilling determination. The game offers a diverse roster of both survivors and killers, each with unique abilities and backstories, allowing for varied gameplay experiences. Survivors must work together to repair generators and outsmart the killer, while the killer's goal is to capture and ultimately sacrifice the survivors to an otherworldly entity. With its atmospheric environments and heart-pounding suspense, Dead by Daylight is a thrilling test of survival skills.

In Dead by Daylight, you'll have the chance to step into the shoes of iconic killers from horror franchises like Halloween, Stranger Things, and Silent Hill, each with their own distinct abilities that cater to different playstyles. On the survivor side, you'll find a wide array of characters, each possessing their own skills to aid in escaping the killer's clutches. The game's asymmetric nature ensures that every match feels unique and unpredictable, as you adapt to the strategies and tactics of both sides.

Dead by Daylight boasts a dedicated player base, with thousands of players participating in its eerie gameplay around the world. Whether you choose to team up with friends or go it alone, the game offers a challenging and immersive experience that's bound to keep you on the edge of your seat. However, it's important to note that Dead by Daylight can be an intense and anxiety-inducing experience. The tension, jump scares, and gruesome scenes are not for the faint of heart. If you're easily frightened or uncomfortable with horror themes, it's best to approach this game with caution.

Above all else you should avoid playing this game at all costs.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Here you go I helped

Thank you!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My only other request is for you to not get permabanned Relyssa, otherwise we'll have to seriously consider discontinuing the thread. DbD cursing the OP to eventually get permabanned feels kind of thematic though. Who knew the Entity was out here browsing SA for new killers?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

But what is a goon's power and perks? :thunk:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Pyrolocutus posted:

But what is a goon's power and perks? :thunk:

No goon would be a killer, they'd be a survivor and this would be the only perk.

Low Effort Troll
When rescuing a hooked survivor, cancel the rescue attempt less than 50% of the way through to activate Low Effort Troll. When Low Effort Troll is activated, the survivor suffers from the Exposed status effect and can be killed directly by the Killer for the rest of the trial.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

curiousTerminal posted:

No goon would be a killer, they'd be a survivor and this would be the only perk.

Low Effort Troll
When rescuing a hooked survivor, cancel the rescue attempt less than 50% of the way through to activate Low Effort Troll. When Low Effort Troll is activated, the survivor suffers from the Exposed status effect and can be killed directly by the Killer for the rest of the trial.

Nah Goon would be a killer who's programmed to just barely miss every hit and at the end say "My keyboard/mouse/controller was broken, you guys are lucky"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

:smith: I used to know Boba Pearl - perhaps not super personally, but enough to have some nice chats on social media and stuff. This is how I found out about the news. I... hope she gets whatever help she needs.

I'll try to add a little bit to the document later. Warnings about how the gameplay tends to go (looping, balance issues, toxicity, poor matchmaking) seem like a good idea, as well as the fact that the ingame tutorial is super barebones and will not teach you half of what you need to know. Nothing too overly discouraging, just a sort of "be prepared to not know what you're doing and potentially have some really weird and unpleasant matches, and this game is a lot jankier than it should be after 7 years". Some solid advice on which characters are good to start would be nice too, and maybe links to some good Otzdarva starting resources.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I would definitely include Otz's "Which killer should I play?" Test.

https://who-is-your-ideal-killer.vercel.app/

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

My only other request is for you to not get permabanned Relyssa, otherwise we'll have to seriously consider discontinuing the thread. DbD cursing the OP to eventually get permabanned feels kind of thematic though. Who knew the Entity was out here browsing SA for new killers?

That would be thematic as hell, honestly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Iridescent Mangosteen

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

:smith: I used to know Boba Pearl - perhaps not super personally, but enough to have some nice chats on social media and stuff. This is how I found out about the news. I... hope she gets whatever help she needs.

huh?

VVV I could not make heads or tails of anything in those various threads but I also don't give a poo poo about goon drama since most goons are awful people.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 25, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

go to the OP of the thread and click on her profile if you want to find out more. Suffice to say when I found out with a bunch of other goons it blew us all away. I'm not gonna try to explain it myself to try and not go any further in posting about posters.

but yeah she's perma'd now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Why is it whenever I'm trying to do a daily with a character I'm awful with these are the lobbies I get

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Medullah posted:

Why is it whenever I'm trying to do a daily with a character I'm awful with these are the lobbies I get

The matchmaker has gained sentience and is out to screw with whatever tome/daily/etc challenge you're doing. Doing a healing challenge? Have some Plague. Running Deliverance to get the self unhook achievement? Killer's running lethal and the other survivors are all rocking Distortion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do we still want this to be the asymmetrical killer thread, even though that arena is like maybe two games now?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's always been two games, it's just a dozen games have taken turns being the second one.

TCM, Evil Dead, F13, VHS, whatever that Japanese schoolgirl one was.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Another goon tried to make a general Asymm game thread but I'm not sure how much it's being used? There just aren't... well, any Asymm games that aren't DbD that have managed to be successful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

rydiafan posted:

It's always been two games, it's just a dozen games have taken turns being the second one.

TCM, Evil Dead, F13, VHS, whatever that Japanese schoolgirl one was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MikeNCR posted:

The matchmaker has gained sentience and is out to screw with whatever tome/daily/etc challenge you're doing. Doing a healing challenge? Have some Plague. Running Deliverance to get the self unhook achievement? Killer's running lethal and the other survivors are all rocking Distortion.

Well it definitely was loving with me. Did 3 dailies over 4 matches and all were no kills. After that said "Alright now I'm playing for fun" and had 3-4ks the rest of the night. Including a particularly nasty Backpack Clown run where they just didn't pick up on me being all seeing and I had all survivors slugged with all gens at 0% progress. Let my backpack wriggle free and let them reset while I was on the other side of the map, then went back to it. Had all 4 down again and just decided to end it.

Survivor with 200 hours in that match, the one before had 6,000 hours. I don't understand matchmaking in this game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly what killed F13 was the legal issues. I think people would still be playing it as the doofy party game it was if not for that. Hopefully TCM fills that slot because it feels much easier to walk off a 'bad' match than DBD. Even if some stuff is over-tuned, like Connie's speedrun, there's no 45 minute Skull Merchant matches.

It'll be interesting to see how the game holds up after the Alien chapter drops.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah agreed. They just need to fix some of the technical stuff, do a bit of balancing and it'll be in a good spot. I've won big, I've lost big, and it doesn't bother me. I'm having a lot more fun with TCM than I have with DBD in a long time.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm not really buying into the other asymmetricals for my own reasons but I don't particularly have a problem with people chatting about them in the DBD thread.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm not really buying into the other asymmetricals for my own reasons but I don't particularly have a problem with people chatting about them in the DBD thread.

I think this is the heart of it, yeah. I think "and other asymmetrical games" being tacked on is good.

Real question is: what should the title be? Should there be some kind of jokey title or something more straightforward, like "Dead By Daylight (and other asymmetrical games too small for their own thread)"?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
“Dead by Daylight and its Competitor of the Month”

Killer Klowns Koming Ksoon!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/0hmals/status/1695334409157971978?s=20

Huh I didn't realize TCM was a Thing game

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

I think this is the heart of it, yeah. I think "and other asymmetrical games" being tacked on is good.

Real question is: what should the title be? Should there be some kind of jokey title or something more straightforward, like "Dead By Daylight (and other asymmetrical games too small for their own thread)"?

"Dead By Daylight and The New Asymmetrical Game That's 100% Gonna Kill DBD This Time We Swear"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly what killed F13 was the legal issues. I think people would still be playing it as the doofy party game it was if not for that. Hopefully TCM fills that slot because it feels much easier to walk off a 'bad' match than DBD. Even if some stuff is over-tuned, like Connie's speedrun, there's no 45 minute Skull Merchant matches.

It'll be interesting to see how the game holds up after the Alien chapter drops.

They were really good at releasing content for F13 (a single player patch, a new map patch, a small version of old maps patch, jason part 4, part 5...). And they were in the process of creating a "paranoia" game mode where no one was jason to start and then would become jason if they found part 5 mask. So it had legs. Hell, it kept going even after the lawsuit killed it. But once official servers were turned off, every lobby it seems became a hacked lobby (with rumors that it was a mod maker making them to force people into their mod). So it took some active killing of the game to make it go away.

I don't know if TCM has the same legs given the movie franchise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

joepinetree posted:

I don't know if TCM has the same legs given the movie franchise.

Unfortunately they don't even have the franchise rights, only the first movie. So they won't be introducing Chop Top or any of the other movie characters, just characters in the first movie and originals

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

why TCM why

https://i.imgur.com/5hFUFRh.mp4

rawr im a tiger

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Friday the 13th, my beloved :negative: I've yet to see another game that had so much love put into it

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MikeNCR posted:

"Dead By Daylight and The New Asymmetrical Game That's 100% Gonna Kill DBD This Time We Swear"

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Medullah posted:

Unfortunately they don't even have the franchise rights, only the first movie. So they won't be introducing Chop Top or any of the other movie characters, just characters in the first movie and originals

They have started repeatedly if the game is successful they 100% plan on trying to get the Rights to the other movies in the franchise.

So far tcm has had an incredibly successful launch. Over 35 million matches have been played. On steam is sitting above a humble 15k peak but it seems to be sitting consistently in the console top lists for a solid week now.

Overall it's very fun but they do need to tune and redesign a few key things.

Overall I love the gameplay 100% more than dbd's. If they tone down some of the abusable things that let victims bully the family it'll be a dream. An actual tense spooky game instead of tag and doing generator's.

Ideally this doesn't kill dbd. Because some of the most toxic people I've encountered so far were just people from the dbd community. It would be great if dbd continued to serve as a sort of quarantine zone for the most toxic players in asyms. I've had way way more wholesome end game chats in tcm than I've ever had in dbd and when there are toxic poo poo heads and I can check their profile, sure enough, they are thousands of hours dbd players.

Also it's always ALWAYS the dbd players who also will not just leave in tcm

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 26, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

“Dead by Daylight and its Competitor of the Month”

Killer Klowns Koming Ksoon!

I keep forgetting that game's a thing. Certainly Puppet Master feels DOA.

Danaru posted:

Friday the 13th, my beloved :negative: I've yet to see another game that had so much love put into it

Then check out TCM. Same folks, same amount of love.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I tried but my video card is old and it drops to like ten frames whenever I get into a chase :smith:

I was the only one that got a kill that round though :colbert:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I'm working on a really detailed OP but it's really loving long and I don't know how long is good for an OP :negative: How do you condense info on this awful game

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm working on a really detailed OP but it's really loving long and I don't know how long is good for an OP :negative: How do you condense info on this awful game

No but seriously, long isn't necessarily bad. Maybe you can do a brief TL;DR version and then a longer one for those who want all the good poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No but seriously, long isn't necessarily bad. Maybe you can do a brief TL;DR version and then a longer one for those who want all the good poo poo?

Yeah when I used to do the Star Wars - The Old Republic OPs I usually did a summary of where the game was at followed by a ton of detail (usually reserving the first two replies as well for adding stuff later)