Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly once people know it's trapper they tend to check around vaults for traps, so really you should be looking around the loops for grass to drop traps into. Unless you're playing against bad survivors who don't know how to loop.

The real big brain trapper play is putting a trap in the middle of nowhere between two trees because it's on a straight line between two objectives. Absolutely no one looks for traps outside loops.

Chakan posted:

The next game was against a 3 or 4 man that picked autohaven wreckers (is it particularly bad for killers?)

Nah, Autohaven maps are generally pretty good. One of them, Azarov's Resting Place, is exceptionally good for killers. They're only bad for stealth killers since they're pretty much all wide open. The really bad maps for killers are Midwich, Ormond, and Haddonfield. Coldwind maps, especially Fractured Cowshed, can be bad as well. Red Forest is hit or miss - Mother's Dwelling is way too loving large but Temple of Purgation is alright nowadays.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I also got into this game thanks to the sale and some friend/streamer interest. Being a killer/stealthy survivor scratches so many itches just right that I haven't felt since running serious mind games as Spy in TF2. Plague is a very interesting and fun killer and pretty viable all the time, it looks like. It's a shame Trapper seems to get a bad rep because making little trap routing adjustments satisfies other parts of my predatory brain.

While Trapper is extremely fun, his setup time is a serious problem if you get put up against good survivors. Plus some times you get a bad map or you get some one who understands TrapperThoughts™ and you end up basically just playing machete man.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, it's a dumb change.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
No, you don't. BBQ & Chili is relatively simple to counter, and when it works it's real good for game flow because otherwise killers are incentivized to just sort of hang around hooks to catch people coming for rescues.

Hex: Ruin already got nerfed, and like BBQ helps incentivize killers to initiate chases (to get people off of gens) instead of hanging around hooked survivors.

edit: Also the reason a bunch of people use those perks is because they're some of the only perks that are universally good for killers. Most killer perks are really only useful for a handful of killers.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 27, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You're last most instinct there is correct, you absolutely want to unlock BBQ for everyone. Double BP is super important, particularly for killers where your addons matter in a way they don't for survivors.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Lame Devil posted:

Are there any other defensive killers besides Hag and The Nightmare? I thought maybe Demagorgen but he seems bad?

Demogorgon's not a defensive killer. He's all about his shred, the portals are more of a side option for extra map mobility. edit: I mean you could play him as that, but as you experienced it's really not his forte.

Yeah as Azran said, Trapper's kinda the other big defensive killer.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 7, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nessus posted:

I believe it's based on your skill level with the individual killer to some extent, which is perhaps some bullshit because the difference between various survivors vs. various killers will be quite different. And it will probably eventually widen the parameters so that you get a game in a reasonable amount of time.

They removed that when it made everything even more of a shitshow than normal. Unless they turned it back on again.

The real answer is rank is more of a suggestion for matchmaking and really they don't want people hanging around queues for too long.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The issue with rating performance on kills is sometimes you get good maps and sometimes you get bad maps, and it's pretty rare you get a well balanced one. Like Trapper on a bad map, you don't get 3 kills you get given 3 kills.

I think the best killer mindset is to ignore kills entirely and just focus on if you're enjoying yourself and if you're playing well. That last bit's also crucial because honestly some of your best matches aren't going to come from you playing well but from survivors playing like idiots. If you 4K you still need to consider if you actually played well or if they just played poorly.

rydiafan posted:

Hot take: With how many perks there are in the game now, they should eliminate perk ranks. As is, you're incentivized not to unlock midteir teachable perks to avoid clogging your webs, which leaves you unable to experiment with them. If perks had a single level, you'd unlock three perks in the time it currently takes to fully unlock one, so it wouln't feel as bad when a "garbage" one shows up.

Discuss.

Nah that's correct

The real hot take is they need to stop releasing 3 perks with every new character and probably just stop tying perks to new characters to begin with. It was an alright idea when the cast was small but at this point every DLC is like 1 good perk and 1 perk that might eventually be good after tweaking, and then a bunch of garbage to fill slots. Like Mad Grit.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 22, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
poo poo even then just drop and slug. If they wanna waste all their time and resources taking hits go for it, a greedy SWF is the best slowdown perk.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The visibility issues on Ormond can be bad, but its real issue is that the central structure is both extremely safe and always accessible. It's like a smaller Disturbed Ward, although they at least did something about how safe the Ward was.

Interior maps are pretty much always good for killer unless you're playing one of the killers they're bad for like Huntress or Trapper. Give or take Midwich and The Game, which are also boring maps.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There are signs on some of the walls to help point you to stairs. The trick to The Game's pallets is they're pretty much all safe so you need to just kick them as soon as they're dropped. That's really it. If some one wants to drag you to that TV room above the showers, ignore them and gently caress off unless you're sure you can down them quickly.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Really? Because I could have sworn i have played as a survivor and been hooked more than three times because I healed in between.

Nope. Once a hook state is gone it is gone for good.

The thing with tunneling is it's of mixed utility. Like you're not gonna win against good survivors doing a merry-go-round of making sure you hook everyone once before hooking everyone a second time, but just bee lining straight for one person over and over is basically giving up easier chases and letting the survivors know not to worry even if the terror radius is blaring in their ears.

But also a lot of survivors never ever consider how exposed and vulnerable they're making themselves. Or how their team might be loving them over by refusing to get chased.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danknificent posted:

Okay, I just bought the game and am slightly drunk. I have absolutely no interest in playing survivor and am queueing as the killer. I need a little help:

First match, played leatherface, killed everybody in the cornfield, pretty straightforward except for one part where I downed a guy, but he was in a raised area so I couldn't seem to pick him up and hook him. I left him to bleed out, all good.

Second match, played Pyramid Head, killed three--and then the match ended without anything really (am slightly drunk) tipping me off, and the final girl had an icon by her name on the scoreboard of a person running to an exit. I didn't get any cues or anything. Did she get away or DC? No hard feelings--I don't care about winning, I'm just trying to learn the game.

I like the game

Edit: as a brand new and slightly drunk killer, I run around and kick generators until I see someone/some cue that I should go investigate, and then I murder

Should I: be ever going into the 'basement' for any reason? and is there a broader overarching strategy beyond "Patrol the generators and kick them if it gives you a prompt to kick them" and/or murder humans that dare enter my sight?

Unrelated, in my first game the very first time I checked a locker there was someone in there

Good poo poo

edit 2: I've been just hooking everyone I down. Should I ever leave someone to crawl around as a humble beginner?

For the LF match, if a player can get somewhere generally you can. You just need to gently caress around and figure out how to fall down to where they are. If they were on the hay bale on the combine for example, you need to go up and vault over the little half section at the top of the machine.

In the PH match, the last person escaped through the hatch. It's a special exit that opens when there's only one survivor left alive to keep the last stretch of a match at least a little interesting. You can find it once it's open by listening for a humming noise, then kick it shut to force them to use a normal exit gate. It'll also spawn into the match earlier than that but closed and locked based on the number of survivors dead versus generators finished. That last bit is really only relevant if some one brought or found a key as that lets them open the hatch earlier to dip out.

As for the basement, unlike regular hooks basement hooks never break. The basement itself is also usually really defendable. Don't rely on it and don't go way out of your way to hook people there, but use it when you can. Some killers, like Trapper, are also really good at playing the basement and so are extra incentivized to drive survivors towards it.

For general strategy, yeah patrol generators but no don't just kick them. If a generator has around 50% progress or more (indicated by two of the four pistons moving) then kick it, otherwise it's probably not worth the time investment. At least don't kick generators below 25%. The big thing to keep in mind is that you're more pressed for time than survivors are. Your first priority should be to get them off gens, your second priority should be downing them. Don't drop chases just to go back to patrolling, but if you're chasing some one and see an even easier target at least give them a quick pop.

For leaving people on the ground, that's called slugging and you sometimes should. Rule of thumb, if you down some one and see another quick chase go ahead and slug the first person and chase the second. This forces survivors to stop doing generators to help their downed team mate. As you get more experience you'll get a feel for other situations you should be slugging, or when to abandon that second chase and return to the downed person.

Beyond that, watch killer streamers like Otzdarva (mentioned in this thread), OhTofu, Umbra, or ScottJund. Or others, obviously. If you find a killer that you really like try to find a streamer that mains them. You can learn a lot by watching some one else play.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, if the hatch spawns you won. Doesn't matter if they get out or what the game says, you forced them to escape through the hatch you won.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danknificent posted:

Can someone tell me about pallets? These are the things that people throw down in front of me and I have to smash them, right? Do they do something else?

You got the basics, but you don't necessarily have to smash them. Some pallets you can play around - walking backwards or behind walls and stuff - so that you can score a hit even while they're down. You should also get in the habit of not kicking pallets that have really short obstacles (like trash cans) on one side since it's just not worth the time investment. At least not mid-chase. And when you do go to kick them, think about where you're driving the survivor. If one side of the pallet is facing a corner of the map and the other has free access to a big old building, cycle around so they're on the side that goes nowhere before you kick it.

Also there's nothing scummy about hanging out by doors. The survivor's on a clock so you know they'll be at one of them and it's not like you have anything left to defend. But as you learned you want to patrol between the two doors, and ideally only go so far as to check if the survivor is opening the door (the little exit box has 3 red lights that turn on over time) before checking the other.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 24, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You move slower (90% vs 115%) and you really cannot afford moving slowly everywhere. Especially since you can very quickly dip into it as you get near anyone.

Also fun trick - if you crouch and switch directions at those small box loops you can trip people up and get a free hit.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Studio posted:

:eng101: The hatch can open if the other 3 survivors escape

Okay yes, barring the situation where some one dips out through the hatch after everyone else exits through the gates if some one leaves through a hatch that's a win in my book.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Thanatophobia's penalty isn't big enough nor on enough to use as your main slowdown perk.

Whispers is pretty good on Huntress since you're so slow and people get a bigger headsup than normal that they need to hide. I'd take it over Discordance personally, and swap Discordance out for something like Corrupt Intervention.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I suspect Clown would benefit from Brutal Strength since the gas means people will throw the pallets earlier than normal.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah. I'm back down in the rankings since I haven't played for months so I figured I'd finally pick up nurse again and boy. I'm glad I at least have some left over muscle memory from when I played her years ago because otherwise I'd be losing against actual babies.

But man whenever the stars align and I remember how to blink properly I can turn around whatever disaster I've set up for myself.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

That is an option but I've heard that one of the primary ways to detect a hatch is to listen for a wind sort of sound :negative:

It only makes that noise when it opens, but it spawns closed if there are more finished gens than survivors so you can at least start scouting for it if things are going south. It also only spawns in specific locations around the map so you can use that info to start narrowing down possibilities. It also can't spawn if something's taking up that spot - so for example if the killer shack has a generator then the hatch won't spawn in there.

But really I just wouldn't worry too much about it. If you get it you get it if you don't oh well.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I held off on getting the Hag because she seemed like the Nurse but slower, but I got her anyways because Ruin sounded really appealing. I didn't realize that her teleport to traps is instantaneous with basically no animation. How could I have been so blind?

Why yes I would like a killer than can face tank hooks as long as she is in a 40 meter radius of it, thank you for asking. I just need to get better at figuring out what counts as "40 meters".

If you wanna be the biggest rear end in a top hat, grab Make Your Choice. It's not fun to deal with but oh well. It also activates at 32m so you can use it lighting up to help get a feel for distance.

But yeah she is absolutely nothing like the Nurse other than that they both conceptually teleport. Except Nurse really just moves super fast through objects.

Nurse also might be the only killer I've played that I feel can really use Dark Devotion. Being able to pop the obsession then warp over to a generator you're pretty sure people are at is fun.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

"Maybe Legion really is too weak for high ranks!" - Me, an idiot, worried before a clean 4K and a very special 3K.

:eyepop: Got Adept Legion vs a bunch of reds, though I think the idea one survivor had of trading 6 pallets in a row for the time I spent kicking them down came back to haunt her when three chases went back through the same area. :twisted:

All Killers fun.

no killer is too weak for high ranks because rank is barely a measure of skill. Basically past rank 15 the average skill goes up very little per rank, and even red ranks can be big dumb dumbs.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I know it depends on how the web generates, but what's a good estimate in BP to level a new character to 40?

~1 million. 1.5 if you're really inefficient but that's typically closer to the cost to get back to 50.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

this game looks dope, how well would you guys say it's help up over the years? Once a sale happens again I'll probably end up getting it, but I'm only really interested in playing Guy Who's Legally Not Ghostface, but is Instead Wearing the Same Mask Ghostface Does in "Scream".

Been blasting through Otz's channel too.

excuse me he is not Ghostface he is The Ghost Face. They actually have the original robes as paid DLC now so I don't know if they got the license for that or if that was also owned by the mask company.

He's a pretty fun killer, and on the whole the game has gotten better each year. The devs make regular missteps but the overall trajectory is good. You might also wanna grab Leatherface. He's got a really good perk for killers - BBQ & Chili - and is also a pretty good killer to learn the basics with.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 26, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Ghost face is a licensed killer, so A.) That's actually ghost face legally and B.) He is gonna cost 5$ (2.50 if he's on sale)

If you watch the second trailer, you can see the license is from Fun World for just the mask. I don't know if they ended up picking up the license for Ghost Face later since you can buy the classic robes and they're labelled that, but that's why they had to make their own Ghost Face OC.

Actually just checked their website and you can buy "Ghost Face Mask W/ Shroud" so no they probably just only have the license from the mask company still.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

I do have some curiosity for how the original Freddy worked and old Ruin looks like pure cruelty but that's about it.

Imagine you're an M1 killer that has to wait 4 seconds to hurt anyone. Imagine watching some one unhook near a gate and knowing you couldn't down anyone. That's old Freddy. edit: gently caress people used to even be able to keep Freddy from picking people up by healing them. Since you couldn't interact with awake survivors at all, if an awake survivor was healing a downed survivor you would have to go through the whole 4 second rigamarole to hopefully interrupt them before they got the other person back up (who would then be awake iirc).

Old Ruin wasn't that bad, especially since old Ruin means old toolboxes, it just had a psychological effect on survivors way out of proportion to the damage it dead. They also later made the penalty for multiple survivors working on the same generator worse and reduced the great skill check bonus.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 26, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Doomykins posted:

*yelling in abject terror*

Jesus Christ how terrifying. Current Freddy is simple, strong and fun, seeing people botch their evading due to the oblivious effects is funny every time. He seems ideal for when I decide I want to marathon to Rank 1, especially once I can teach Pop to him.

The complete disaster of Freddy, his nerf, and the subsequent shitshow of the Feb patch is why we have PTBs so there's something good that came out of it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah, Otz was/is wrong and old Freddy was trash. Like sure you could 4K with him but you could 4K with speedlimiterface, that's not really a reflection of the killer being viable just that the game doesn't have skill based matchmaking. Infinite info just didn't make up for being an M1 killer, outside of maybe that one build to get a near zero terror radius.

edit: Besides he was also just really dull to play against since he was basically just Man With Knife-Glove. I dunno, I don't think Freddy is particularly interesting for either side now either.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 26, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

If you run into a Survivor that's clearly griefing as a Killer, ie pointing out their friends, how do you handle it? Shrug and accept or whack them for being a poor sport?

Honestly you don't necessarily know what happened up to that moment. Like if that survivor absolutely refuses to leave a closet or keeps crouch walking everywhere I can sympathize with some one who points them out. It's also possible they're just trying to fake you out and got (un)lucky. Really unless you see them intentionally block another survivor I'd mostly just ignore it. Stick to them or go after the other survivor, whatever feels appropriate.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like, there’s a huge difference between locking you out of core gameplay and characters entirely so you can sell lootboxes and making some ugly optional cosmetics cost real money

tbf, their blight cosmetics are pretty consistently some of the best and these are no different. I hate Legion, but god drat does Legion's blight costume look great.

I also wish Ghost Face's wasn't Legendary so I could run the busted open rib cage with like the devil mask or something. Funnily enough only The Blight's is kind of ehn. Cool head though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Is pop goes the weasel teachable because idk why you'd run anything but bbq and weasel

Depends on the killer. High mobility killers can use Pop well and don't need the early game slowdown as much, where as slower or stealthier killers work better with Corrupt Intervention to get their pressure going ASAP. Ruin is also good on extremely high mobility killers like Billy too though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
play oni
https://i.imgur.com/Em42UeR.mp4

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is there a high uptime survivor perk that lets me see other survivor auras? It occurs to me that it'd help for seeing what other survivors are doing so I can decide if they're responding to a killer near them.

Empathy's basically map wide but only works when survivors are injured. I guess you could use Bond if you're only worried about killer shenanigans near you. Don't forget if some one's the Obsession then you can watch for the claws wiggling to see if they're being chased.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

I can't do those "just loving murder a survivor when they're in sacrificable state" executions without special items, right?

More or less correct. Pyramid Head gets a special execution if you meet the right conditions and Myers has two add-ons that lets him do it, but otherwise you need to use one of the three mori offerings.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Hag also has the Hex: Devour Hope. It gets a token every time someone is unhooked a certain distance away from you. At 5 tokens you can kill with your bare hands.

Honestly I forgot about Devour Hope it's been so long since I hosed with it. Fun gamble perk when it works.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

Is there an event going on? I swear to gently caress if I wind up working constantly during a unique item event again I'm going to poo poo myself on purpose

Just log in every day for your free iri shards. There's some charms you can get with some codes and poo poo but eh.

Danaru posted:

The Virgin Ghostface only exposes one person at a time and does it quietly

The Chad Myers announces to the whole world that the uh oh hour has arrived

ultra-chad oni has a two stage warning system

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The Lery's rework made it better from the standpoint of not having windows chaining into more windows, but it's still a tight constricted map that keeps you from doing the fun long range hatchets. But it's on the smaller side so I guess it evens out.

It'd be nice if they gave us purple or green offerings that let you specify indoor or outdoor maps. It'd be a solid tradeoff for telegraphing what sort of killer you're playing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Which map is worse, Hawkins or Midwich/Silent Hill?

Midwich. Hawkins is at least fine for stealth killers. Maybe some better signposting for doors that aren't open would be nice. Midwich however really needs to have its hallways broken up by rubble ramps between floors or something, the large classroom with the collapsed center should never be walled off, and maybe a broken wall in one of the first floor hallways to let people into the courtyard would be nice. Maybe some extra ways out of some of the classrooms themselves would be nice paired with more blockers and poo poo in the hallways. edit: Not even necessarily new doorways, even just crumbled open vault points in the center of some of the classrooms would be nice.

2nd edit: also they should just delete it and replace it with Nowhere it's such a perfect fit and a way more flexible choice for making a proper DBD map

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 28, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If you see the We'll Make It icon pop up it'll be super quick, too. It's often best to be healed up since stealth is of limited utility and more so if you're wounded.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Discordance was the only one I know of, but they changed it so only the range is affected by level now so you want to upgrade it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit 2: Equally unrelated, I'm torn about whether I wanna spend my next 9k shards on Clown, for Pop (and Bamboozle, I guess), or on Deathslinger because he's the next killer I wanna try out. I already have Hag, so Hex: Ruin is an option for a slowdown perk, but there's been many, many times where I wished I had Pop. (I'm probably gonna try out the jank strat of Ruin and Haunted Ground on the same set soon, because lol.)

Long term, if you're only interested in Pop then don't get Clown. Grab a killer who is fun and wait for Pop to show up on the shrine again.

Also Bamboozle is a bad perk. There aren't enough god windows to justify using it, and most windows if you use it all you're actually doing is forcing a pallet drop when you could have gotten a hit.