Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's obviously not part of the experience they're trying to build. It is what it is.

Beta's pretty fun, definitely rough in spots, but miles away from what they originally demo-ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

so far i'd describe it as better than I expected, but also not wowing me. There's some cool moments in the story stuff, the combat feels fun once you get into the groove of when to dodge/parry/roll, but there's bits that feel weird

the game's really bad about showing me where to go and sometimes i'm not sure what to do. this stuff could be fixed probably.

kamala and hulk both are a lot of fun. i'm glad they both feel pretty distinct from one another despite being brawlers. iron man is really fun but also feels kind of slow for some reason? his flight in particular is kind of weird, it feels like it should be a bit more snappy to pop back and forth between hover and flight modes, and his 'dash' on the ground feels really slow too. he just needs some faster movement when he's doing jet stuff. but transitioning back and forth between ground and air as you fight is basically perfect so they got a lot right. black widow seems cool but i haven't played her too much just yet.

the bits of cap and thor we get to play in the intro kind of made me feel blah about Thor but interested in playing Cap more. Thor was saddled with most of the tutorial baggage though so that's probably why he didn't feel satisfying yet.

the combat, in broad strokes across everyone, feels like they're iterating on the Arkham series. There's dodge/parry/avoid prompts, but the combat isnt entirely about them, since there isn't a combo system to build up. you get to be much more aggressive than in the Arkham games (or in the PS4 Spiderman) and I think that feels pretty good

the cosmetics seem okay but I'm not a fan of the game's art direction. I'd much rather it was a bit more stylized. it's like they're trying to look even more gritty than the MCU and it just doesn't work for me. something closer to the MCU proper would have been nice, but there's costumes that do look pretty good. and some silly ones like tony stark in a t-shirt and jeans, with iron man gauntlets and boots on and a fighter pilot helmet. or Hulk's florida retiree look.

So far I think I like Kamala the most. her being a mid-range melee character is fun and her stuff flows into eachother pretty well. plus grabbing a dude out of the sky and throwing him at the ground is satisfying.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Do they seriously only let you invert the controls for up and down and that’s it? I’m playing the intro now and sometimes in fast paced fights the camera swings in ways I don’t want. So I figured I’d want to try invent the horizontal camera control and it’s just...not there. Really? They didn’t think anybody would want to do it? This is the first time in a long time I haven’t seen that as an option.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me i have no willpower when it comes to comic book poo poo, i just preorded for the loving beta.

I got a couple weeks out of anthem before I got bored, hopefully this will be at least that entertaining, low bar or not

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Soonmot posted:

gently caress me i have no willpower when it comes to comic book poo poo, i just preorded for the loving beta.

I got a couple weeks out of anthem before I got bored, hopefully this will be at least that entertaining, low bar or not

A lot of people have been making GBS threads on this but the beta is pretty fun so far? Like, I feel like the worst take-away is that it's an "average" brawler with good production values behind it, but if you're a fan of the source material and interested in the diablo/MUA-esque endgame it seems like it's probably worth the price of entry.

Anyway this thing definitely isn't even anywhere close to Anthem. I'm not saying it's game of the year or anything but this feels well-made if somewhat derivative while Anthem just felt like it was a disaster from the start.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My biggest thing is going to be how annoying it is to accumulate currency. Playing dolly dressup is my favorite thing to do in these games and if I'm gonna get nickle and dimed over this poo poo with microtransactions, I'm gonna poo poo. But being able to play as Spidey, Kamala, and Hawkguy is what pushed me over the edge.

That's good to hear that the gameplay holds up, though.

EDIT: ps4 gametag is same as screen name if anyone is looking to multiplayer. I have about 10 minutes left on the download.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Keep it coming gang! I have to live vicariously through you all for now.

Glad to hear Kamala is fun. I’ve heard her and Widow are awesome.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've been playing for a little bit now and it's fine. Hulk is really fun, I'm trying to find my groove with Kamala now. Everyone in the intro mission from the trailer really do have a different feel to them.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I would definitely say Kamala and Widow are the two most fun in the beta, Widow being the most fun overall due to her being so fast and her grappling hook stuff being a ton of fun to use to both get around and also to attack with.

I think for anyone who's on the fence, I'd say wait for a sale and pick the game up for cheap- the story mode is already feeling really good and the co-op stuff is fun too. It's gonna be worth at least the story playthrough and a little extra stuff on the side, but it might not be like your long-term forever-game or anything.

This is of course like, pending the final game not being revealed to have like a 4 hour long story or something. I'm assuming we're getting a proper full length story mode, and extra story stuff with the free post-launch heroes.

It's got problems that might be fixed by launch, but even assuming they're not, it's fun enough. Not a disaster or anything.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The online is pretty turbo wrecked right now. I turned on matchmaking to see how it would be to play with someone else and it refuses to join a game. It just automatically disconnects right away and if I go to pick a different hero when it’s enabled it crashes the game. So that’s something they’ll definitely want to get fixed.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The endgame of every MMO like is playing pretty princess dress up.

However the gear that drops does not change your appearance. Prepare to cough up cash if you want to dress up when the game goes live.

Also, if you are hoping things like boring rear end mission design and heroes like Hulk and Thor hitting trash mobs like a wet noodle will be fixed ..... lol

Then add on no cross play.....ever

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 7, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hulk and Thor’s hits feel really good, they’ve made them way more impactful than the first demos.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All the streams/video I've seen of this seem pretty bad from a gameplay standpoint, but I'll still give it a shot (on PC) when the open, non-preorder beta comes around in a couple of weeks.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Will be in on the ground floor on PC. Most people streaming this say it's fun to play but realize the gameplay isn't that great to watch.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Raged posted:

The endgame of every MMO like is playing pretty princess dress up.

However the gear that drops does not change your appearance. Prepare to cough up cash if you want to dress up when the game goes live.

Also, if you are hoping things like boring rear end mission design and heroes like Hulk and Thor hitting trash mobs like a wet noodle will be fixed ..... lol

Then add on no cross play.....ever

gear does change your appearance in the actual game. just not in the beta.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sea Lily posted:

gear does change your appearance in the actual game. just not in the beta.

Nah, it's purely statistical. Cosmetics are the only way to change your appearance.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dan Didio posted:

Nah, it's purely statistical. Cosmetics are the only way to change your appearance.

they've shown gear being equipped and changing parts of costumes in trailers multiple times. iron man armor stuff, kamala's insignia changing, widow's gauntlet things, etc. hulk is probably an exception since his gear is all internal stuff (nanites and bone things and whatever) but it definitely does it to the others. we've seen it

you can use a skin which is a full replacement for all of that stuff if you dont like it though

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Seeing new Marvel games always renews my desire to have a Wilford Brimley as Captain America SA icon.

Far as gear, it will slightly alter your character's appearance but most of the skins in game you're able to earn via completing challenges. There are for sure going to be DLC ones but most are rewards SE said right out of the gate.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sea Lily posted:

they've shown gear being equipped and changing parts of costumes in trailers multiple times. iron man armor stuff, kamala's insignia changing, widow's gauntlet things, etc. hulk is probably an exception since his gear is all internal stuff (nanites and bone things and whatever) but it definitely does it to the others. we've seen it

you can use a skin which is a full replacement for all of that stuff if you dont like it though

I haven't seen any visual gear changes and they've specifically said it doesn't. The little hologram stuff on the equip screen changes, but that doesn't actually appear on your character, does it?

Getting Pym Particle charged weaponry for Iron Man changes the effects on his repulsor blasts, but that's the only thing I've seen.

Trying out Iron Man's lasers, they seem really fun, but not as immediately usable as his repulsor blasts, some of the combo upgrades and moves you get work way better with the Repulsors.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 8, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The beta has a lot of single player content in it, so that is pretty nice. I am kinda unsure how I feel about this combat though and am looking forward to seeing it in multiplayer though.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The combat really starts to open up a bit once you can start putting points into trees and picking up moves. Kamala is a blast to play as and they really nailed the feel of her powers.

Speaking of - Kamala is a really great anchor character for the story. She’s hitting just the right level of goofball for me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Also, you're primarily playing as Hulk and I think he's easily the trickiest character of the four in the beta to get the most efficiency out of. He's okay as just a button mashy brawler type, but once you start making use of his bounding jumps, his Rage counters and his damage mitigation, he becomes really good.

From what little I've seen of it, the multiplayer can become really chaotic at times.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Really when it comes down to it the lack of crossplay is the most infuriating thing. Being able to play on my PC with my Xbox/PS4 friends has kept a few games on my playlist a lot longer than normal.

PC community in Australia will die out in 3 months.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VanillaGorilla posted:

The combat really starts to open up a bit once you can start putting points into trees and picking up moves. Kamala is a blast to play as and they really nailed the feel of her powers.

Speaking of - Kamala is a really great anchor character for the story. She’s hitting just the right level of goofball for me.

She's such a loving nerd and I love her.

But wow, they need to fix matchmaking fast. There should be a way to join an open strike team and THEN select missions, because right now there isn't the population to select a mission and then join a team.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Raged posted:

Really when it comes down to it the lack of crossplay is the most infuriating thing. Being able to play on my PC with my Xbox/PS4 friends has kept a few games on my playlist a lot longer than normal.

PC community in Australia will die out in 3 months.

Cross play is becoming more and more common, but I don't think we'll really start to see it be common place until the next gen consoles are settled into.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Soonmot posted:

But wow, they need to fix matchmaking fast. There should be a way to join an open strike team and THEN select missions, because right now there isn't the population to select a mission and then join a team.

They're having known issues, I had some luck after putting the Playstation into rest mode from that screen and booting back up and logging in.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So it sounds like its okay that i'm still on the single player story stuff. :P Just been very busy but hoping to complete that tonight and then spend Saturday and Sunday playing multiplayer.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

i think Kamala and Black Widow can jack the Hulkbuster instead if you hold it down and deploy it away from you.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How big is the beta download?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kamala is great. Happy with her in the game.

I think I had the most fun with her and Widow. The others I'm kinda eh on. Hopefully they get other characters out quickly because those two and Cap are the ones that I'll probably just end up using all the time.

Though it's kinda weird to see Kamala as a Carol Danvers fangirl but no sight of Carol at all. Probably should have had her on the team. Maybe the story will explain it.

The size on PS4 was 27GB or so.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Though it's kinda weird to see Kamala as a Carol Danvers fangirl but no sight of Carol at all. Probably should have had her on the team. Maybe the story will explain it.

Kamala has some posters of her solo, and she doesn’t have a room in the helicarrier like Hawkeye does, so it seems like she’s not an Avenger in this universe, yet.

Secret mission in the beta, you have to go to Stark Realities, and search the hidden Shield Vault that's near the ravine to your left when you load in, there's a chest inside that gives you the co-ordinates for a mission in a new area.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 8, 2020

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I think I had the most fun with her and Widow. The others I'm kinda eh on. Hopefully they get other characters out quickly because those two and Cap are the ones that I'll probably just end up using all the time.

Guaranteed she'll be one of the DLC characters down the line (which will be free).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rumour has it that Carol Danvers is an unlockable character in the story, since people have found playable character data for her in the game's files.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Good thing they’re doing a Beta because this game launches in a month and the online system is so broken that it causes weird lovely issues that almost make me wanna cancel the pre-order.

I tried to do matchmaking again after playing some more to see how that would go. This time it connected but then one guy just dropped as the mission was counting down, there’s no pause the mission and find new people as far as I can see so I just backed out. It tried to matchmake again and network crashes. Okay I’m done with that for the Beta. Online will just not work period, that’s super lovely.

So I go back into game to do a solo mission. It won’t let me pick Iron Man. Not allowed. I have to full reboot the game for Iron Man to even become selectable again.

I really like the moment to moment gameplay, but the entire menu system was built by someone who’s never seen a menu before and the amount of bugs present in this when it’s only a month before launch is crazy. I hope when the next Beta hits that the experience is way more stable because I easily see people just getting scared off from this because of how crappy the experience can be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm interested in this game, but if I buy on the ps4 will I have to buy it on ps5?

Edit: will Spiderman come to the pc version after 2021? These are all important questions.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm interested in this game, but if I buy on the ps4 will I have to buy it on ps5?

Edit: will Spiderman come to the pc version after 2021? These are all important questions.

You will get the game upgraded free on PS5 if you own it on PS4. https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/22/marvels-avengers-confirmed-as-free-upgrade-to-ps5/

And no spidey is exclusive forever to PC.

There’s your answers!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hulk’s Skills. Just so you can see just how robust the moves are in this game. The reviews on a positive side are stating that heroes feel unique, and they have a ton of ways to customize and play with your build. Here’s 33 skills that Hulk has in the beta. Again, this isn’t even close to all his skills. He has 60.

And because me and all the goons I know, who are STRONG GOOD PEOPLE, know the ultimate Hulk build is RANGED HULK.

Skill Type Description

Pummel Light Attack Press square/X to perform a basic melee attack. Rapidly press square/X four times to combo a series of light attacks that inflict increased damage with each attack. The last hit of the combo is a light combo finisher that inflicts massive damage and knocks back enemies.

Green Bomber Aerial Light Attack Press square/X while in midair to perform an aerial light attack. Rapidly press square/X three times while airborne to combo a series of quick attacks that incrementally increase in damage. The last hit of the combo is a light combo finisher that inflicts significant damage.

Cannonball Ranged Attack Hold L2/LT and R2/RT to pick up and throw a small debris chunk at enemies from afar.

Battering Ram Light Sprint Attack While sprinting, press square/X to perform a powerful shoulder charge that stagers opponents, exposing them to follow-up attack.

Monstrous Wipe Light Dodge Attack Quickly press square/X after dodging to execute a sweeping backhand attack that launches enemies into the air, leaving them vulnerable to follow-up attacks.

Meteor Ranged Power Attack Hold L2/LT and R2/RT to grab a large debris chunk from the ground. Release R2/RT while aiming to throw the rubble

Ram Reinforcement Light Sprint Attack Upgrade Creates a small radial explosion on impact and generates additional rage energy when battering ram is used.

Shatter Spin Combat Ability After grabbing a large debris chunk, press triangle/Y or square/X to execute powerful melee attacks using the meteor rubble as a weapon. Can be used in air or on the ground.

Gamma Hammer Heavy Attack Press triangle/Y to execute a heavy attack that can interrupt enemy attacks. Rapidly press triangle/Y twice to combo a pair of heavy attacks. The last hit of the combo is a heavy combo finisher that launches enemies into the air.

Smash Power Attack Hold triangle/Y while sprinting to quickly leap forward into the air and come down hard, creating a shallow shockwave that extends out several meters, damaging anyone caught in its wake.

Sky Fall Aerial Heavy Attack While in midair, press triangle/Y to perform an aerial slam that knocks down enemies caught in the ensuing shockwave.

Unsteady Ground Heavy Sprint Attack Press triangle/Y while sprinting to quickly lunge forward into the air and come down hard, creating a shallow shockwave that extends out several meters, damaging anyone caught in its wake.

Aftershock Power Attack Upgrade After executing a Power Attack, press triangle/Y to perform another massive radial attack that knocks back opponents.

Air Spike Aerial Power Attack While in midair, hold triangle/Y to slam into the ground with a powerful area attack that knocks down nearby enemies.

Heavy Combo Finisher Heavy Attack Upgrade Rapidly press square/X four times and then triangle/Y to chain the light attack combo into a powerful heavy combo finisher that inflicts massive damage and sends enemies flying.

Tectonic Fury Power Attack Upgrade After executing a power attack, rapidly press triangle/Y to combo five more radial attacks before unleashing a powerful ground smash.

Power Spike Power Attack After grabbing one enemy, hold triangle/Y to leap up and slam the enemy into the ground, launching nearby combatants into the air.

Bludgeon Signature Attack Hold square/X to grab an enemy and use them as a weapon. Rapidly press square/X three times or triangle/Y three times while holding enemies to execute light or heavy grab combos.

Air Spike Aerial Power Attack When in midair, hold triangle/Y after grabbing an enemy to slam the enemy into the ground, launching nearby combatants into the air.

Gamma Crusher Power Attack After grabbing two enemies, hold triangle/Y to slam both enemies together, dealing tremendous damage to held enemies, and sending out a devastating damage shockwave.

Smackdown Signature Attack Upgrade Hold square/X while already holding an enemy to grab a second opponent. While holding two enemies, rapidly press square/X three times or triangle/Y three times to execute dual light or heavy grab combos.

Aerial Gamma Crusher Aerial Power Attack When in midair, hold triangle/Y to slam both enemies together, dealing tremendous damage to held enemies and sending out a devastating damage shockwave.

Elemental Grab Damage Signature Attack Upgrade When attacking with enemies, attacks will deal status damage based on the type of enemy that has been grabbed. Applies to both light and heavy attacks

Rage Intrinsic Ability Attacking enemies and receiving damage fuels an intrinsic rage meter. When rage is active, defensive strength is increased and all attacks inflict increased damage by 14% and recover Willpower. Hold R2/RT to activate rage whenever the intrinsic meter under the Willpower bar has a visible green charge. Activate Rage just before an enemy attack connects to parry, lowering the impact resistance of the attacker with a terrifying roar that will interrupt the attacking enemy, as well as any other enemies in a small radius nearby.

Devil’s Rampage Stat Buff Takedowns boost the energy of the intrinsic rage meter by 15 points.

Controlled Chaos Intrinsic Charge Upgrade Reduces the cost of using rage by 20%.

Unstoppable Ferocity Intrinsic Cost Upgrade Increases maximum energy value of the intrinsic rage meter by 15%.

Monster of Mayhem Intrinsic Charge Upgrade Further reduces the cost of using rage and increases the amount of intrinsic energy boosted from attacking and taking damage by 15%.

Klaxon Frenzy Intrinsic Charge Upgrade Boosts the energy of the intrinsic rage meter when performing a Perfect Evade by 10 points.

Unbounded Fury Intrinsic Cost Upgrade Increases maximum energy value of the intrinsic rage meter by 15%.

Survival Instincts Intrinsic Ability Upgrade Increases Willpower recovery while Rage is active by 100%.

Cataclysm Intrinsic Ability Upgrade When rage is full, attacking builds up extra energy to Overcharge it. While Overcharged, rage is automatically active and damage from all sources is increased by 20%. In order to stay overcharged, keep attacking enemies or perfectly parrying enemy attacks. Getting hit or not attacking enemies for a short duration will cause Overcharge to end.

Unbearable Might Intrinsic Ability Upgrade Increases all damage while Rage is Overcharged by 20%

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

If you haven't yet, go look up how to unlock the secret mission and then do it, because it's pretty rad.

Also, people comparing this game to Destiny get it wrong, I think. This game is actually Marvel Heroes meets PSO and this weekend actually convinced me that it's actually really good, in theory. If they have a decent enough campaign and fix the online poo poo this thing might have some legs on it.

It is still pretty stupid that they didn't get the movie likenesses though. I mean it would have been expensive but would definitely have helped to make this Marvel Studios' big break into the videogame business.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you haven't yet, go look up how to unlock the secret mission and then do it, because it's pretty rad.

Also, people comparing this game to Destiny get it wrong, I think. This game is actually Marvel Heroes meets PSO and this weekend actually convinced me that it's actually really good, in theory. If they have a decent enough campaign and fix the online poo poo this thing might have some legs on it.

It is still pretty stupid that they didn't get the movie likenesses though. I mean it would have been expensive but would definitely have helped to make this Marvel Studios' big break into the videogame business.

Good to hear a take like this. Watching it too, I am getting more optimism here.

I am still insanely worried to hear about the matchmaking and party issues.

There is no ping system. There is no text chat. There doesn’t seem to be a good, comprehensive system in place to show that multiplayer longevity is a priority. The “let’s just use our headsets in game” thing doesn’t work in games. So I have major, major red flags here because I already fell for this once.

But I do see more positives than I did see. And that’s a plus. Just gotta see if some folks are riding high because it’s the new shiny game out or if this will have legs (and I hope it does have legs!) I can see legs growing more unlike the baby iron man legs photo in the OP.

Tony is getting his sea legs back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Gonna wait at least a month after launch because if ICR quits this game, you know it's bad.