Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watching some streams and this looks good. I'll probably buy the ps4 version if I like the open beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Some people have datamined the beta's server code and there are references to Kate Bishop (Hawkeye), War Machine, and She-Hulk in there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Makes sense, they're probably legendary costumes. I really hope there's a Beta Ray Bill one for Thor, or even Jane Foster. For Ms Marvel I guess Mr. Fantastic would work?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 9, 2020

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

JordanKai posted:

Some people have datamined the beta's server code and there are references to Kate Bishop (Hawkeye), War Machine, and She-Hulk in there.

Man, did they just hire the switch flipper from Gaz? :gaz:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

RatHat posted:

Makes sense, they're probably legendary costumes. I really hope there's a Beta Ray Bill one for Thor, or even Jane Foster. For Ms Marvel I guess Mr. Fantastic would work?

If She-Hulk and Warmachine turn out to be skin swaps for Hulk and Iron Man respectively that would be immensely disappointing. They don't really fight similarly to their counterparts at all.

Unless you count Savage She-Hulk from Jason Aaron's Avengers run.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ms marvels nose bugs the poo poo out of me

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ms marvels nose bugs the poo poo out of me

why

its just a normal nose

most of the other characters' faces look like they're 50 years old but Kamala seems fine

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The texture doesn't match the shinnieNess of her cheeks and surrounding face, so it looks like Mr potato head to me

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm interested in this game, but if I buy on the ps4 will I have to buy it on ps5?

Edit: will Spiderman come to the pc version after 2021? These are all important questions.

Re: Spider-Man, forever ps exclusive. However there are rumors the ps5 Spider-Man miles morales game will include a remastered Spider-Man complete for ps5

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I like the idea of this, and it isnt as bad as what the previews make it sound (though the vr missions with ai companions are terribly boring), but the beta is fairly buggy. I dont understand how matchmaking is supposed to work, and two missions ive done havent been completable as they bug out, and going back to lask checkpoint doesnt seem to solve it.

Also, it feels a lot more like the Arkham games with Black Widow than it does Hulk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Weasling Weasel posted:

I like the idea of this, and it isnt as bad as what the previews make it sound (though the vr missions with ai companions are terribly boring), but the beta is fairly buggy. I dont understand how matchmaking is supposed to work, and two missions ive done havent been completable as they bug out, and going back to lask checkpoint doesnt seem to solve it.

Also, it feels a lot more like the Arkham games with Black Widow than it does Hulk

Glad it's not just me. I want to like this game, but there just feels like there is a lot getting in the way of it being the Avengers action game that I was really hoping it would be.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The thing that's actually bugging me most about this is the loot vacuum.

If you break a stack of four boxes, you need to wait for the glowing things that drop to hit the ground.

And then walk over them.

If you could just smash and go, it'd flow so much better.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What all do I have to do this beta to get the unlockables when it goes live? Just beat the HARM missions?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fadam posted:

What all do I have to do this beta to get the unlockables when it goes live? Just beat the HARM missions?

Good loving luck doing that though. Its impossible to get into any of those missions.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Good loving luck doing that though. Its impossible to get into any of those missions.

I did it solo because co-op is for casuals.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fadam posted:

I did it solo because co-op is for casuals.

Maybe I better give it a try again before the beta ends. I couldn't even get in solo. Right now I feel like this is going to be another one of those Games as a Service titles where the developer ends up saying, "come back in 9 months, we will release the ultra big patch that redoes everything and makes the game good finally."

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

With the last mission I got assigned other players despite matchmaking being off and it bugged out on me so for most of it I had a black screen while the others finished it for me :v: Only mission I haven't done is the secret one, thanks thread. Sucks that most of them have the coop objectives the AI is totally unprepared for. The companions also rarely engage the turrets so most encounters ended up with me jumping around managing control zones/turrets while the AI did the fun fights :negative:

The highest performance mode on the Pro is also pretty bad, I only ever got 60 fps looking at a wall or the sky. More frantic showdowns had massive framedrops.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I said come in! posted:

Maybe I better give it a try again before the beta ends. I couldn't even get in solo. Right now I feel like this is going to be another one of those Games as a Service titles where the developer ends up saying, "come back in 9 months, we will release the ultra big patch that redoes everything and makes the game good finally."

Yeah, I don’t see this improving substantially before launch or there being a bunch of great content over there just out of sight.

This is 2020’s Anthem right down to the horribly designed loot system and extreme jankiness. To quote someone who played the beta with me, “It’s like they took a mobile game and gave it at AAA budget.”

And unfortunately I’ll be getting it because all of my friends are getting it and are utterly convinced this is the next big coop game we’ll all be playing together while waiting on Shadowlands and D4.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah, I don’t see this improving substantially before launch or there being a bunch of great content over there just out of sight.

This is 2020’s Anthem right down to the horribly designed loot system and extreme jankiness. To quote someone who played the beta with me, “It’s like they took a mobile game and gave it at AAA budget.”

And unfortunately I’ll be getting it because all of my friends are getting it and are utterly convinced this is the next big coop game we’ll all be playing together while waiting on Shadowlands and D4.

Welcome to the dark side friend.

Also, they gave away 5,000 copies of the game for free today. My friend Soul Glo here got one.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1292887043912024065?s=20

Yes they gave away the full game for free to 5,000 Verizoneers

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Scrolled through the OP for 5 seconds - saw that the Brooklyn Brawler was not actually a playable launch character.

0/10

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry we won’t have your talents for this Marvel game :(

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.pcgamer.com/marvels-avengers-gets-more-confusing-exclusive-tie-in-cosmetics/

quote:

Days after it started to win people over, Marvel's Avengers damage some of that good will with news that Spider-Man will be an exclusive character to the PlayStation version of the game.

However, it's not the only bonus that will be exclusive to PlayStation: they'll get 30 days of exclusive access to a "legendary" outfit, emote, takedown and nameplate for every hero in the game, from the six launch heroes to any added after release. PlayStation Plus subscribers will also get some additional goodies on top of that. There will be a bundle for each of the post-launch superheroes containing some in-game cash and yet another outfit and nameplate, along with a special bundle focused on Ms. Marvel.

Until now it seemed as though only PlayStation would be getting preferential treatment—but some further exclusives have come to light. Character skins have leaked that seem to show collaborations with Verizon, Virgin Media and Intel.

If you want your Avengers decked out in a handsome shade of red (see the image above) it seems you'll need to be a Verizon/Virgin Media customer, and if you want a grey, gold chain-wearing Hulk you'll need to go to Intel. The latter skins may be connected to Intel's rumoured Avengers-themed KA CPUs, and look like this:

There's even a slightly bizarre collaboration with 5 Gum that will unlock smaller rewards such as currency, artifacts and emotes (including an emote of Ms. Marvel blowing bubblegum).

The game is due out on September 4, but there's a PC preorder beta running from August 14-16, and an open beta from August 21-23.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Spider-Man Exclusivity is the least of Marvel's Avengers issues. That sucks, but then you actually play the game and realize you're not missing anything anyways.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The Spider-Man Exclusivity is the least of Marvel's Avengers issues. That sucks, but then you actually play the game and realize you're not missing anything anyways.

It just makes me wonder what’s happening behind the scenes to have:

- 4 different exclusivity avenues, 3 of which are with phone providers.
- 5,000 copies of the full game given away free via Verizon.
- 5 Gum being chosen as a way to earn artifacts in game amongst other things. And boosts. But yeah, actual gear.

I know there’s more but I’ll stop there. Is this a no faith in your game or just business as usual?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Kinda feels like this is the video game (non-ironic) equivalent of this:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Kinda feels like this is the video game (non-ironic) equivalent of this:

Yes, it's my choice to buy it for Playstation. And it's the choice of a new generation.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes, it's my choice to buy it for Playstation. And it's the choice of a new generation.

I read you crystal clear.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ICR posted:

- 5 Gum being chosen as a way to earn artifacts in game amongst other things. And boosts. But yeah, actual gear.

I know there’s more but I’ll stop there. Is this a no faith in your game or just business as usual?

sounds like marketing went out of control honestly

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ICR posted:

Pretty much every massive game has poo poo like that, only exception I can think of is the Sony first party exclusives and Nintendo as well most of the time (they have tie in poo poo but usually they don't give you in game stuff). Back in the day Halo and Mass Effect had the little codes you got on drinks and doritos and poo poo that got you XP boosts and cosmetics and CoD still does that every year I think, FF7 had some gear and themes you could only get with candy bars in the US and noodles in the UK. Fortnite and the other big battle royale stuff as well as the mobas have all been doing stuff like that for their entire lifetimes respectively. Loads of games have the Amazon/Twitch Prime stuff where you can claim a bunch of free stuff in games if you have amazon prime.

It's poo poo but I don't think it's anything that's going on behind the scenes really, it's companies doing whatever that's going to make them some extra money. Very few people aren't going to play the game cause they did a deal with Virgin Media or Verizon or whatever and they probably made some easy cash off those deals for very little effort. Capitalists gonna do a capitalism wherever and whenever they can basically.

I haven't preordered it so didn't play the beta but I'm hearing a few positive takes from people on here who I generally trust and a similar amount of negatives as well so I'm probably going to give it a go next weekend when it's free to try for everyone. Giving everyone an opportunity to play some of it before it comes out is unusually generous in the modern day, didn't Anthem have the thing where if you preordered the mega edition or whatever you got a few days early access? That proved pretty disastrous when word got out how dogshit it was so they seem at least confident it wasn't going to get a similar reception.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

thebardyspoon posted:

Pretty much every massive game has poo poo like that, only exception I can think of is the Sony first party exclusives and Nintendo as well most of the time (they have tie in poo poo but usually they don't give you in game stuff). Back in the day Halo and Mass Effect had the little codes you got on drinks and doritos and poo poo that got you XP boosts and cosmetics and CoD still does that every year I think, FF7 had some gear and themes you could only get with candy bars in the US and noodles in the UK. Fortnite and the other big battle royale stuff as well as the mobas have all been doing stuff like that for their entire lifetimes respectively. Loads of games have the Amazon/Twitch Prime stuff where you can claim a bunch of free stuff in games if you have amazon prime.

It's poo poo but I don't think it's anything that's going on behind the scenes really, it's companies doing whatever that's going to make them some extra money. Very few people aren't going to play the game cause they did a deal with Virgin Media or Verizon or whatever and they probably made some easy cash off those deals for very little effort. Capitalists gonna do a capitalism wherever and whenever they can basically.

I haven't preordered it so didn't play the beta but I'm hearing a few positive takes from people on here who I generally trust and a similar amount of negatives as well so I'm probably going to give it a go next weekend when it's free to try for everyone. Giving everyone an opportunity to play some of it before it comes out is unusually generous in the modern day, didn't Anthem have the thing where if you preordered the mega edition or whatever you got a few days early access? That proved pretty disastrous when word got out how dogshit it was so they seem at least confident it wasn't going to get a similar reception.

I get what you're saying but the way they've handled this feels a lot different than the kind of promotions you talk about. Double XP codes or getting a couple free lootboxes from Twitch Prime are vastly different than "we made a bunch of skins you can only get based on your mobile provider". Yeah, Fortnite does some stupid poo poo with Samsung, and maybe that's what they're trying to lean into. But that was more a symptom of Fortnite's success than it's cause. This game feels like they really wanted it to be a phone game but they had to spend enough on the license it had to go to a "real" platform. I'm still going to try it out during the open beta, but it's going to have to do some really heavy lifting in the "it plays better than it looks on stream!" department to get my money.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

At least they're brand skins and not like "you only get this Sam Wilson as Captain America costume if you're a Verizon customer!" thing. It still sucks, but the Spidey exclusivity is still worse.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Those skins are all loving horrible with the possible exception of the grey hulk in gold chains

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Why is this game even a 'live service'? Why not just make a good big budget Avengers game as a single player experience (with co-op), which has a clear story, and then sell story DLC packs later if people like it? I've seen more talk of the game's business model than I have gameplay or plot.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Zaodai posted:

Yeah, Fortnite does some stupid poo poo with Samsung, and maybe that's what they're trying to lean into. But that was more a symptom of Fortnite's success than it's cause.

The Avengers branding is massive and I doubt they had to go looking for people to line up and ask politely for their platform to have some sort of tie-in.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dan Didio posted:

The Avengers branding is massive and I doubt they had to go looking for people to line up and ask politely for their platform to have some sort of tie-in.

Oh, I'm sure people were knocking down the door. The quality of the product doesn't matter when you just want a tie-in on the name.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm just saying, the process was probably a lot simpler and less nefarious than whatever people imagine happened, this is Square-Enix we're talking about after all:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I like how Laura Bailey is basically the de facto voice for Black Widow in everything. How is the story, or is that not in the beta?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

OldMemes posted:

Why not just make a good big budget Avengers game as a single player experience (with co-op), which has a clear story, and then sell story DLC packs later if people like it?
That's also gonna be in there! The objectives screen is set up in a way that would allow them to add more singleplayer campaigns later on, and the part included in the beta was... fine

This genre is so stats-driven they probably want to cover all their bases and start making post-release content based on what gets the most cumulative playtime

Dan Didio posted:

I'm just saying, the process was probably a lot simpler and less nefarious than whatever people imagine happened, this is Square-Enix we're talking about after all:

Man, in FFXV even the princess's dresses were product placement.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OldMemes posted:

I like how Laura Bailey is basically the de facto voice for Black Widow in everything. How is the story, or is that not in the beta?

There's only a couple snippets from the story. Though I think everyone agrees that the Hulk and Kamala story mission is the highlight of the beta.

If the story keeps up like that it should be fine, especially since it did a great job with Kamala.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

OldMemes posted:

It's okay, there's obviously stuff they're cutting around, so it feels a little disjointed, but you get some fun little moments from what seem to be the first few missions.