Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
These problems are notoriously difficult to track down, there are countless causes. You've hit on most of them, so let me offer a very obscure one that happened to a coworker. The guy was always plugging in different USB devices into his system all the time, microphones, drives, phones, headsets, etc. Eventually after his constant random reboots were putting us in a place where we were ready to scrap the PC, we went through his device manager, selected "view -> show hidden devices" and just removed about 20 grayed-out disconnected USB devices from over the months. It hasn't happened since. I guess the one headset he did have plugged in wasn't playing nice with whatever leftover scraps of device manager USB poo poo it was trying to sit next to.

I've got an external CD-ROM drive that wouldn't even draw power until I cleared a Samsung Galaxy entry out of the device manager that I'd plugged in weeks earlier. The USB driver stack is still not flawless, and they can and will cause reboots with no warning or event log entries if they go sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU