Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Can we talk about how MEC turned into the mess it is today? I used to love going there all the time ten years ago but now it's just depressing and overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Whenever elections came up and I went through the candidates it seemed like it's been retired CEOs wanting to run the place like their previous businesses, or at least that was the feeling I got. Now it's all "lifestyle" stuff and super-expensive brands in an attempt to expand their customer base instead of the excellent cost to quality ratio gear they were known for in the past. All of my important equipment like shelter and packs are from MEC, but they haven't had anything I've needed or could afford for years.

Wilderness Supply has stayed good and I found myself going there more often since MEC started getting bad. I haven't been there since they moved to a larger location downtown, and I'd imagine that's probably helped with their selection.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-outdoor-recreation-retailer-mec-sold-to-us-private-investment-firm/

And that's that.

quote:

The team also began reviewing MEC’s product assortment, with plans to scale back in areas where competition is stiff – such as pet accessories and yoga wear – while focusing on its core categories such as climbing, camping and snow sports.

You don't say.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Slung Blade posted:

There is no fuckin excuse to not make buckets of cash as an outdoor gear supplier this year.

People are fighting over every kind of half rear end decent camping, hiking, hunting, and fishing kit available.

That sucks to lose a sort-of co-op, but it sounds like the changes these private equity scumbags are making are positive at least?

Corporate scumbags are the ones that really started screwing things up in the quest for more profit. They changed the rules to stack elections in favour of professional executives in 2012, which lines up perfectly with when their quality was beginning to decline. I think that's also around when they started doing dumb stuff with their money like overpaying for their new HQ.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/mec-governance-changes-sparks-dissent-among-long-time-loyalists/article26852082/
https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/05/20/mec-allegations-election-rigging/