Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e__f4DkOo4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm in my 40s and still look down at the blood swirling down the shower drain and pretend I've been in a gang fight, I assume everyone does this

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I have poo poo wrong with me so for the last couple years I've only had super mild periods randomly once every 3-4 months. Before that I used to have 7-10 day hell geysers, in HS and college I constantly lived in fear of leaks because every period was like that elevator in the shining.

My rando periods really like to show up almost as if scheduled for when I have plans though. Camping? Road trip? Flight? Period is here!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HopperUK posted:

I'm in my 40s and still look down at the blood swirling down the shower drain and pretend I've been in a gang fight, I assume everyone does this

Wish I had ovaries and could do this :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wish I had ovaries and could do this :(

Next one's dedicated to you, my gang ally who tragically died in the fight. RIP.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bismuth posted:

I have poo poo wrong with me so for the last couple years I've only had super mild periods randomly once every 3-4 months. Before that I used to have 7-10 day hell geysers, in HS and college I constantly lived in fear of leaks because every period was like that elevator in the shining.

My rando periods really like to show up almost as if scheduled for when I have plans though. Camping? Road trip? Flight? Period is here!

A few years ago I had an exciting medical issue (my parathyroid gland went rogue) and I didn't have a period for six months. It was great. Then I went to the doctor and it turned out to be something semi-serious and now they're back and better than ever! By which I mean worse. So much worse.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Periods are such bullshit and I'm miserable every time mine shows up and UGH

also hella acne, like what in the gently caress why does my face do that, please stop

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

Periods are such bullshit and I'm miserable every time mine shows up and UGH

also hella acne, like what in the gently caress why does my face do that, please stop

There are two signs of my period approaching. 1) intermittent waves of black suicidal despair for an hour or so at a time. 2) my chin breaks out in spots.

Can't wait for the loving menopause to arrive. Come on, I'm not having a baby at this point, just shut it all down.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

Getting older has made my period worse. Up until I was 27 or so I had zero PMS or other physical symptoms like cramps. I’d just bleed for a few days and that was it. But now I tend to be more emotional and stressed out over nothing the week beforehand plus I get all bloated and crampy the first day. And my butt will hurt the night before it starts. Which makes it a lot easier to keep track of actually.

I became far more emotional when peri-menopause arrivived.
Used to be X "HeartOfStone" Cheopis, then my periods stopped and I started crying over everything, including pretty sunsets and how sweet my cat is. Horrible. Since I was also having other pesky menopause issues I was able to get paxil, which cut that poo poo right out and I thankfully got back to my normal state of "vaguely annoyed". Good stuff.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
One of the best perks of pregnancy and extended breastfeeding was over 2years of no periods.

Now though, I get double periods every 5 weeks :argh:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey having a penis isn't all peaches and cream either!!! sometimes you need to adjust your pants and the fold of your underwear brushes against the tip and it's mildly uncomfortable for about two seconds.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HopperUK posted:

Next one's dedicated to you, my gang ally who tragically died in the fight. RIP.

I'll watch the skies :ghost:

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

HopperUK posted:

yes pretty much

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

SatansOnion posted:

say, does anyone else get slightly tight/achy lower back muscles at this time of the month? At the moment I have a mild twinge there, but only on my left side :psyduck:

Yes and even when I know I'm on/approaching my period I still get afraid that I've pulled my back at work or something.

+1 for menstrual cups being great. I felt like some kind of super genius when I got to wear one on a transatlantic flight and didn't have to worry about changing a tampon in a tiny airplane bathroom or scurrying off to the toilet after disembarkation.

Has anyone else's PMS gone completely haywire due to covid stress? Since March I've spent two days a month completely and unshakably convinced that my friends hate me and don't want anything to do with me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If my wife ever got her period we'd have to have a serious, SERIOUS, talk about the future of our marriage.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ok please take me through menstrual cups as I feel like I could wing it but I’m so afraid of one wrong move and like, gallons shooting out at me somehow pressurized

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
i wish there was a way to donate my uterus/ovaries to a trans woman or a woman who's natural unit doesnt work. i dont want it, you can have it. free to good home.

also why is it that it starts when its least convenient? wedding? emergency surgery? its never started on time before, why choose now? also real tired of this start-stop poo poo. stop teasing me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DemonDarkhorse posted:

i wish there was a way to donate my uterus/ovaries to a trans woman or a woman who's natural unit doesnt work. i dont want it, you can have it. free to good home.

Saaaaaaaaaame. Of course my uterus is covered in fibroids now so it's not exactly donation material, but still.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If I could take the uterus of a lady and suffer the indignity's of menstruation, I definitely would. And, of course, as a man I would certainly bear it with superior endurance. :smug:

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

teen witch posted:

Ok please take me through menstrual cups as I feel like I could wing it but I’m so afraid of one wrong move and like, gallons shooting out at me somehow pressurized

Keeper cups usually have little pinholes around them just under the lip, to help the cup create a seal. Most people turn the cup 360 degrees once in place to make sure the seal happens. If it doesn’t, you can leak and it’s like “oh whoops a little blood in my underwear”, not the cup popping out or something. I’ve been using a DivaCup for 9 years and it’s leaked TWICE, and I could tell something was up long before a potential embarrassing disaster.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

The Klowner posted:

hey having a penis isn't all peaches and cream either!!! sometimes you need to adjust your pants and the fold of your underwear brushes against the tip and it's mildly uncomfortable for about two seconds.

Yeah! And sometimes you're pooping and the tip touches the water

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I hate this but I donkey laughed

SayHelloToParsley
Jan 14, 2018

SatansOnion posted:

my sympathies to those of my fellow uterus-havers/ladies whose wombs are currently undergoing their monthly remodeling (like mine)

I’ve never been very happy with this monthly phenomenon, even as I recognize that its occurrence in my own body is generally benign, for the most part (that is, barring the time or two per year I end up with particularly vicious cramps) Perhaps oddly, I found that switching to the cup made my sometime bad cramps slightly less awful, and my more typical cramps close to nonexistent.

say, does anyone else get slightly tight/achy lower back muscles at this time of the month? At the moment I have a mild twinge there, but only on my left side :psyduck:

I started having this type of aching on my left side by my tail bone within the last year. It starts near the end of my period and lasts off and on for about two weeks and feels like someone is digging their finger in on a really deep bruise. I finally set up a call with my doctor and he said it might be endometriosis. Now I am supposed to schedule an ultrasound to go get it checked out. So in short, you might want to talk to your doctor if it continues/gets worse.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Oh you do not want menopause. Only the unlucky that have terrible pain want menopause.

Your periods are keeping you YOUNG. They are preventing heart attacks and wrinkles. One suggestion for you ladies that by the way I love seeing you here!! :love:

We are all different I know so it could just be luck but wear a bra constantly including a soft one to bed (unless sexy times or we, lucky you.) I got in the habit of wearing armor type bras when cocktail waitressing, we had these sleeveless tops that had no shoulder covering either so we had to tie our bra straps closer together with shoelaces to hide them. Keeping those babies cinched up made them look younger than my face now. I wear 2 bras when excercising too.

Man I miss my periods :( Suddenly you age.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ew gross op!

Cooties!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spinz posted:

Oh you do not want menopause. Only the unlucky that have terrible pain want menopause.

Your periods are keeping you YOUNG. They are preventing heart attacks and wrinkles. One suggestion for you ladies that by the way I love seeing you here!! :love:

We are all different I know so it could just be luck but wear a bra constantly including a soft one to bed (unless sexy times or we, lucky you.) I got in the habit of wearing armor type bras when cocktail waitressing, we had these sleeveless tops that had no shoulder covering either so we had to tie our bra straps closer together with shoelaces to hide them. Keeping those babies cinched up made them look younger than my face now. I wear 2 bras when excercising too.

Man I miss my periods :( Suddenly you age.

The maternal line in my family is one that had benign "woman troubles"; my menopause is actually pretty mild and my sister has had no symptoms at all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If a wizard said he could make it so you only have one period a year but it took up an entire month, like say the whole of March, would you do it? One super period a year?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Who What Now posted:

If a wizard said he could make it so you only have one period a year but it took up an entire month, like say the whole of March, would you do it? One super period a year?

Only if I get to choose the month.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got a Mirena and lol my periods have never stopped. I've even lost about 30lbs and hoped that would finally do the trick but no. Much like the spice, my uterus has decided the menstrual blood must flow.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

teen witch posted:

You fold it up, shove it in, and then it expands inside of you in the general location of where it should be. I squeeze a bit as I do a rotation to help create a seal. It'll look like spotting if it's not in properly but I don't think it could ever get to pants-ruining levels even if left alone for a whole day. It won't pop out on it's own even if you're straining on the toilet. But I'll give a quick readjustment if I'm feeling particularly nervous. Not having something drying you out or chafing against your skin has been a serious blessing.

I bought a dedicated cup sterilizer because I cringe at the thought of using my cooking utensils or dishwasher to clean it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

Only if I get to choose the month.

Sorry, it has to be March

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

LadyPictureShow posted:

Man, when I first got my period, I went to my mom and said 'I think I got my period'. She checked the murder scene in the toilet bowl, handed me this huge maxi pad and that was it.

A few days later, I had swim practice and she pulls a box of tampons out of the bathroom closet, sets them down on the counter and tells me 'there's instructions in the box, you'll figure it out', and left me to it.

The only kind she used were o.b. Super Plus. Not a great starter tampon for a first time user on their first period.

My family was... very unhelpful when I hit puberty.

Oh god, o.b. super plus...

My first period I got handed a maxi pad and told to deal with it. I hated it so much. It was bulky and crinkly. Worse than the pads was my mom telling everyone it happened to me and making a big deal over it. Don't do that to a kid.

I found tampons in the home after the first one, which were the ol' o.b. super plus and managed to figure it out on my own. It took a while. I have never bought tampons with applicators and I they seem weird and wasteful

Now thanks to my bad ovaries and Mirena I haven't had a regular or even one full period in a decade. A small consolation for a hosed up reproductive system :golfclap:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

You youngsters are fortunate in not having to deal with the belt + pad/rag system. It was awful but also superior to the previous "rag" situation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

teen witch posted:

Nah. When it gets over-full it can leak, but that's just a dribble as fluid oozes around the outside of the cup. And you have plenty of warning that it is getting full before that happens, because when it is full it sits lower and you can feel it a bit. Like how when a tampon is sitting right you don't really feel it at all, but if it is sitting too low you can totally feel it.

Unless you have a tipped cervix, which you probably don't know about. In that case the fluid sometimes doesn't go in the cup and instead oozes right on by the outside. They can still work, but positioning is a bit more fiddly.

They most common problem new users have is getting it in, and then getting it out. Getting it in is easier than getting it out. You have to have the flexibility and geometry to get your thumb up in there past the pubic bone, so you can squeeze the end of the cup and break the seal. The bottom end of the cup has a stick, but that just helps you find the cup, pulling on the stick will not remove it. You can kinda get a sense of how this works by trying to remove a tampon by gripping the end of the tampon instead of the string. You really gotta get up in there.

That said most women who don't have a weird spine, a bad back, and aren't super super fat are able to get the hang of it.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

xcheopis posted:

You youngsters are fortunate in not having to deal with the belt + pad/rag system. It was awful but also superior to the previous "rag" situation.
Oh I've heard the stories about sanitary napkin belts. They sounded awful

Just more testament to how little regards have been paid to the needs and comfort of people with a uterus

Fixing my wording a bit there

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
i started my period yesterday and bled on the sheets last night, which NEVER happens, but it was also the night my dog decided to poo poo the bed so it was a pretty cool 2-for-1. i wasn't so mad about having to wash all my bedding.

also ever since this pandemic poo poo popped off, my PMS depression has really ramped up. anyone else? for once whole week once a month i want to die and then i usually get into a fight with my boyfriend, and i don't know if either of us can take this much longer :angel:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I never realized that women had shallow vestigial anuses

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Spanish Inquisition posted:

also ever since this pandemic poo poo popped off, my PMS depression has really ramped up. anyone else? for once whole week once a month i want to die and then i usually get into a fight with my boyfriend, and i don't know if either of us can take this much longer :angel:

This has been a struggle for me as well. I know I am lucky to not be getting periods lately but I still pms and I am one of those people who doesn't keep track of my period so sometimes I have to be like, am I actually mad/sad/lazy or am I just pmsing? This has been exacerbated by the pandemic and I can feel myself sinking into old habits and thought patterns. It sucks! I wish you well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who What Now posted:

I never realized that women had shallow vestigial anuses

you never heard that girls don't poop?