Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The syncing thing is bullshit. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_synchrony

A lot of things can gently caress up the timing: stress, moving, physical labor, etc. Plus among women who menstruate, ~25% are at any point. Combine all those factors and it might appear to be a thing, but it isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I didn't really get periods for years and years because of my implant

...which was scheduled for replacement in April

The first time I got a real period since like 2007, I lost my poo poo so bad I was straight-up microwaving chocolate bars

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It didn't just have to be chocolate, it had to be chocolate AND GOOEY

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I always like chocolate, but I had never had a specific craving for it, and it had never been linked to my period or anything. My first period after 13 years was just weird as hell, I guess

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm4FdyWaOCo

(1989)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Strumpie posted:

my first partner didn't have their period until they were 16 and it was induced by birth control pills.
in fact she didn't have her period at all unless she took them and she was very casual about it, sometimes going months without a period.

she didn't suffer when she had them regularly, just some minor discomfort, but if she stopped taking the pill it would make the next one worse the longer she waited and she would be in a lot of pain for a day or two when she finally did.
i tried to gently encourage her to take the pill each night but i couldn't/wouldn't force her and she knew the price. i'd be tempted to say maybe there was more going on in her mind but knowing her she probably just didn't care much about it all, even after the doctor suggested it might be making her infertile.
Skipping months' worth of periods in exchange for 1-2 days of pain in the end sounds completely rational, tbh

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've been on Nexplanon since like 2007 and it's the best thing on earth for me. If they ever discontinue it I will probably make terroristic threats to the manufacturer

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Pinus Porcus posted:

Got Nexplanon put in today, hello to like 3 months of bleeding/spotting apparently.
Can confirm, but if you're lucky, after the next 3 months it's no periods ever :science:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Please do not freak out, your description also sounds like a totally normal cyst. I mean ask your doctor when you get a chance, but don't worry about it at all until s/he says to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Pookah posted:

Now I'm imagining like a Merchant-Ivory film entirely populated by extremely irritable women in edwardian costume.
Helena Bonham-Carter's entire career

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Cups are the disruption, it happened 10+ years ago

(The best disruption is taking bc that lets you just not have periods, but it doesn't work that way for everyone)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Okay, I have to ask -- how are pap smears SUPPOSED to feel? Because every time I've had a pap smear, I literally haven't felt anything. Do I have a numb cervix or something? Is such a thing possible? :psyduck:
They say you're supposed to not feel it, or barely feel it! Just be happy you aren't extremely aware of being molested by a mascara wand

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I was the same on nexplanon when I first started, but I passed through the struggle and into blissful unending no-periods. It might be worth gutting it out for another month or two

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know if there's a law vs. if they just don't do enough for it to make sense to keep in stock. I'm in NYC, and my private gyn practice doesn't keep Nexplanon in stock, there's a whole rigamarole where I would have to order it and pay for it to be shipped to them and then my insurance would reimburse me. Orrrr I can just go to Planned Parenthood, which has a lot higher volume, so they keep it in stock and it goes smoothly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have the squishy gel bead thing you can microwave (or freeze). It's fun to squish.

I also have a question! I hadn't had a period since college due to my wonderful birth control, but it ran out thanks to the coronavirus and I'm full Carrie again. Have tampons changed in my absence or am I buying the wrong brand? I thought I remembered Tampax Pearl was good, but it doesn't open up 360°? It just wants to turn into a rectangle, but then the two sides can't open much plus there's nothing blocking the blood from where the sides aren't??

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've the implant for years despite being over the suggested weight range the whole time. The way doctors have explained it to me, when you're bigger, it leaches faster, so it expires sooner. However, while it's working it should be equally effective. I know it's working on me because I don't have a period on it -- and when it starts coming back, I get it replaced.

That said, I also use condoms because duh

e: I've also seen this study specifically testing IUDs and Nexplanon in overweight and obese women. There's another one I remember but it isn't coming up now...

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 7, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have spent half the day on the phone with Planned Parenthood and accomplished nothing. Obviously I love the concept, but in practice, dealing with them is never not an enormous hassle.

I need to get my nexplanon replaced, and it needs to be done by a doctor. Which doesn't sound bizarre or unprecedented, AND YET

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Zoesdare posted:

T minus three hours to the appointment where I get my Nexplanon replaced for the first time. I was super anxious and then the lady at the women’s clinic made me feel better...

But then the other day my penis-having GP went on a long off topic rant about how much harder getting implants out is, even though his most recent experience with BC implants is from 10ish years ago. Now my anxiety is worse than before.

It doesn’t help that I’m in limbo for test results related to different health issues and the general state of my entire life right now (marriage/personal/work/emotional) is massive horrifying change.
Don't stress. Once upon a time long ago there was an implant that was a bunch of little separate pellets. That was a pain in the rear end to remove (which iirc is why it was taken off the market), and that's probably what he's remembering. Nexplanon has only been available in the US for a little over 10 years (originally as Implanon), so it was very unlikely to be that.

The usual process for removing Nexplanon is super straightforward: anesthetic, a little hole, and a squeeze. I have a connective tissue disorder that means my Nexplanon is always encapsulated, which is considered a difficult removal. The only actual difficult thing about it is that because it takes a smidge more internal cutting, only an actual MD is licensed to remove it. It still goes incredibly fast.

Out of 4 replacements, the only difficult time I've had was when I had a real rear end in a top hat NP who wasn't legally allowed to make that cut, so she decided to wrestle with it forever instead of just calling over an MD. If they try to do that, you can just put your foot down. I went back the next day and the MD had it right out in a minute.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Nice! I forgot, it's a lot more comfortable the next couple days if you wrap an ace bandage around your arm to just keep it in place a little and avoid it brushing against your breasts.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Implanon and Nexplanon are identical; the only difference is that Nexplanon will show up on an x-ray. That's it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Lanolin is super comedogenic so it's not a good idea for any acne-prone areas. A lot of people like it as a moisturizer, if you can do it just on places that don't break out, like hands or I guess nipples.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That sucks, I'm sorry. Does it help to wear the ace bandage?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Metaline posted:

Ow, my freaking nipples! This wasn't even a PMS symptom until my late 20s and it's horribly unfair. I donno if I'm gonna be able to wear a shirt tomorrow.
Same, mine went from "I'm barely aware of their existence" to praying they would just fall off already. I thought it was due to dating an obsessed guy for a few years, but maybe it was just age?? Has anyone else had that happen?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Are you having it replaced every 3 years or every 4 years? It was originally recommended for 3 but Planned Parenthood is trying to get everyone to wait another year. Especially if you're overweight at all, I wouldn't push it to 4. Stuff like you're going through is a sign I need to get it replaced for me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
My Nexplanon was due to be replaced in April 2020, so big surprise, that didn't happen. My period eventually came back and it was horrific. I finally got a new implant and I'm extremely hopeful it will take me back to the promised land of zero periods where I lived for so long

My period was never fun, but it was way worse now that I'm older. Terrible cravings, and my breasts got in the game for the first time, which was just unbelievably rude

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 20, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There's a parenting thread in A/T where you'll probably get a lot more answers.

Can't go wrong with grubhub gift cards imo

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's the most I've ever seen anyone tempt fate

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've been on Nexplanon/Implanon pretty much since it came out in the US and I love it beyond belief.

The one negative side effect is that it can cause irregular bleeding/spotting. But about 1/3 of women have their periods stop altogether by the end of iirc the first year.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They're the same cost, they're just gross.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Doll House Ghost posted:

There's also contraceptive implant like Nexplanon, which uses (I think) different hormone than IUDs generally.
Nexplanon and Mirena both use progestins, but different types (Nexplanon uses etonogestrel and Mirena uses levonorgestrel). Most other forms of hormonal birth control use a combination of progestin and estrogen, including most common pills, NuvaRing, and the patch. So a lot of people have side effects from estrogen but not necessarily progestin, and some people have side effects from one type of progestin but not another (or different types/combinations of estrogen, etc.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Source (it's recent)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Good luck to you. I was on Nexplanon from like 2007 until one ran out in like April 2020 and I couldn’t get it replaced. I about lost my mind. Have chocolate ready, I thought that was like 90% a joke, but it is not

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think the reason they’re like “no you really have to clean it” now is because it turns out you can get TSS from menstrual cups. Like I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but now that we know it’s possible, they have to cover themselves

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The odds are low for both tampons and cups, but there are some case studies where it actually happened with a cup in real women who ended up in the ER/ICU

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4556184/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221425092100127X
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7546563/
https://criticalcareshock.org/files/2020/07/Toxic-shock-syndrome-related-to-the-use-of-a-menstrual-cup-in-a-pediatric-patient.pdf
https://www.pogsjournal.org/article.asp?issn=0116-6069;year=2022;volume=46;issue=1;spage=44;epage=49;aulast=Santos

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can also look into ablation. Lots less arguing about that for some reason

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Zantie posted:

Same with me but the meds are for narcolepsy instead. I got my tubes removed ages ago but went back on the combination pill, stacking it so I only had 2-4 withdrawal bleeds a year, and I can *still* feel when medication efficacy dips happen with what my body's trying to do hormonally in the background. It's like the pill by itself wasn't enough to shut it up. About a week or so ago I switched to a different combination pill in the hopes that it'll even out a bit more and my narcolepsy meds will be more reliable/bio-available(?). I'm nearly 40 though so it's also possible that I'm just getting ready for some more intense shenanigans 'round the corner :toot:
modafinil/armodafinil I think fucks with whatever birth control because it speeds up processing through the liver. I’m on Nexplanon (absolutely love it) so everything is always steady (love it). There haven’t been studies, but my doctor thinks that rather than lower efficacy throughout the lifespan of the implant, she thinks it’ll just leach faster and run out sooner (which is nbd because they can go a year+ past the nominal lifespan normally). I know Nexplanon is a lot to get used to for some people, but I love it so much

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I always just tuck the string in, can’t figure out why everyone else doesn’t. It always seems to get all involved with my urethra if not.

The only downside is that obviously you have to take the string out, but it’s like a centimeter inside, and it’s not like you’re not gonna wash your hands already

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Perimenopause can gently caress with you for a long time before actual menopause starts. 45 is a pretty normal time for that to start

Cowslips Warren posted:

if it helps, i still have no idea how to use one. it's not like they teach you that in sex ed.
Put tampon in vagina. You can’t really gently caress it up as long as you take off the wrapper and don’t, like, insert it perpendicular.

They always include instructions in the box anyway, along with dire warnings about TSS

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Did anyone get weird period effects from COVID? I'm sick with it right now and my period not only came early, but it's super watery. It's just like, pink water. I've never had a period so thin and devoid of... content.
Yeah, it’s like the way your nose is running, guess what. Body just amps up mucus production in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ask your moms if you can. My mom was like clockwork until 55 :waycool: