Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I get that thing where you get a really specific, sharp pain in an ovary on the day I'm ovulating, which is uncomfortable but also it's kind of useful to know so exactly when it's happening. I also get insanely tired in the days just before my period starts, and generally feel much better when it does kick off.
I knew the bastard was due to start yesterday/today and every time I went to the loo yesterday, I was hopefully checking to see if it was here, but no :( Finally showed up today and yeah, I do feel a bit better already :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I wish society catered to our needs and we had days off to cope with the fatigue and discomfort and pain.

That'd be heavenly. Honestly, I'd nearly settle for just being able to mention this kind of thing in ordinary circumstances and for it to be no big deal, like about as controversial as saying you have a headache; not a cue for either embarrassed coughs or 'hurr hurr women and their CRAZY hormones'-style joking.
I know I'm pretty lucky, so far I don't get much pain and they are very regular, but yeah, still fuckin tedious to deal with.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Youse want some pronunciation guidelines?? I'm no gaelgeoir but I can get the basics down

tá brúdáin orm = taw broodaawn orrum

An t-ádh dearg = On taaw dyaragh

also bláth means flower/bloom generally

Also my brother just pointed out something very different about the way Irish handles emotional states vs. english. In english you say "I am sad", so you are your emotional state, in irish you say "Tá brón orm" or, "the sadness is upon me" - so sadness is external to you as a person, its something that happen to you. As far as I can remember all emotional states are expressed in the same way in irish. They are all things that happen to you.

edit: Just wanted to point out that the granny of the expert referred to in the article was Sighle Humphreys - Sighle is pronounced "Sheila". From an Anglo perspective, Irish is very odd.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 30, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Skratte posted:

hate gettin' those ovulation pains. Every middle of the cycle I'm like OH NO WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME but it's just my ovaries popping out a big one

YES it's like something is getting ready to pop and then BAM, it pops and the pain is gone. Only one of my ovaries is fussy though - every second month the right one gets all stabby, the left never causes a fuss when it is its turn.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That's a period period act.

Now I'm imagining like a Merchant-Ivory film entirely populated by extremely irritable women in edwardian costume.

A Womb with a View, so to speak.

A sample:

'Mama, Sir Edward Hillingsbury-West asked me most forcefully to be his bride today...'
'Good heavens child, he is almost fifty and you are but twenty! He is a highly respected man however, and your position in society would be assured as his wife. Did you accept him?'
'gently caress no! I gave him a fippenny one right in the kisser. He dropped like a sack of potatoes'
'Dear dear, who can we ask to open the parish fete now?'

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 2, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Facebook Aunt posted:

In biology class the female teacher was describing human ovulation and said you can't feel it. About half the girls in class said "yeah we can" LOL. She'd never heard of it before that.

Anyway, if it's any consolation that pain might go away. I could feel it as a teen but it went away in my 20s or 30s sometime. Then again it could also get worse, because being a woman is an awesome adventure.

Aha no, it's not going anywhere, I'm 42 and the ovulation stabbin is as attention-grabbing as ever for me, In german its called mittelschmertz, which is a good and stern word for it that I love.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Facebook Aunt posted:

Look ladies he knows what he's talking about he's a chiropractor.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mensez/

It doesn't exist and there is no formula, but he knows it will work.

Of course this was all years ago. Does it exist yet? No. But there is a website. http://www.mensez.com/

I wonder where he got that 1 ounce figure. Most menstrual cups hold about 1 ounce, and I fill that thing up more than once a week.

I just googled that and it works out as about 2 super tampons worth and gently caress you mensez guy, , I can go through one of those every 1-2 hours for a full 18 hours on Big Day. I am so happy when my period begins late at night because I know it'll take about 8 hours to get to full-on crazy mode and I prefer to have that happen when I'm awake, for obvious reasons.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

This might only be intelligible to irish people, if even that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jiru posted:

I think that's it, too, but also: it's me, I am the "two tablespoons" woman. I have the usual ovulation pains, the period cramps, all the kit. But as for bleeding, my period lasts all of one day, two if it's feeling generous. I had thought that was the rule, somehow :thunk:

So drat jealous rn.

Seriously. I'd put up with some cramping if it meant not having The Shining: Elevators Doors scene every drat month.
It'd be really cool if you could reliably feel when it's going nuts, but nah, stealth bloodflood is apparently way more sensible somehow.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

teen witch posted:

I don’t mind the spreading but the spoolie scrape is like when you hit your elbow on a table type of pain. like it’s just on a whole other level of “I didn’t know I could feel this oh god”
That's it! I've been trying to come up with a description, but hitting your funny bone is pretty accurate - not exactly painful but weird and surprisingly unpleasant. It's like, someone's poked your kidney or pinched a lobe of your lung - your body is just extremely surprised that anyone is triggering those nerve endings in that particular way.

Zoesdare posted:

Big period bullshit

Jesus, that is terrible and I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much crap right now :( It''s really crappy that even though you open by saying weird periods run in your family, your mom still wasn't supportive. I have big mad periods, but as far as I know, my mother's were very sedate, so it's fairly understandable that she never really got how careful I've always had to be to have tampons+pads+easy access to a bathroom on the worst days. You'd think a shared experience as intense as that would built a bit of empathy.

I've also heard a lot about people having to deal with serious crap because emergency contraceptive dosages don't necessarily factor in the existence of plus-sized people, I hadn't heard it about regular contraception too.

It's all just unbelievably stupid :argh:.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Enfys posted:

I don't know how people live without a hot water bottle.
Even for non period stuff - currently nestled up with one because I'm cold and my back aches.

Slightly o/t but you've all just reminded me of the hot water bottles I got when I was staying with my grandmother as a very small Pookah. They were earthenware flask-thingys with a tap at the top, and which would burn the absolute crap out of your feet if you actually touched them directly. They did keep the bed toasty warm all night. I love my super-modern rubber bag hot water bottle, even though my Grandma probably would have thought them dangerously futuristic :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I know when I had my first cervical smear I was not at all sure what to expect; and it was...weird? Like, imagine someone reached up inside and poked your kidney weird; It didn't hurt, but it felt like a bit of you that really didn't expect to get poked just got poked.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Made this for the wholesome horror posters thread, but I think it might resonate with some of the posters itt

(On the blob' is UK/Irish slang for having your period)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

YeahTubaMike posted:

UPDATE: I have one fibroid that is literally the size of an average uterus, and it's not even the only one!

They sent me the measurements of the three "dominant" ones (apparently there are others) in those fancy Euro-measurements, but here they are.

The queen fibroid: 10.3 x 7.1 x 9.4 cm
Concubine #1: 8.6 x 8.8 x 8.2 cm
Concubine #2: 3.7 x 3.4 x 4.5 cm

:synpa:

Oh no :( What's the plan for treatment, if that's not too intrusive a question?

In other news, I know the beast is about to arrive because I'm so drat tired today, I keep looking at low walls and like, hedges while I'm out walking and thinking 'I could just curl up under there and have a wee nap'.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not intrusive at all! After all, I'm the one who voluntarily posted about my fibroids & their measurements in this thread. :v:

Anyway, after reading about it, it seems like embolization is the best option. I'm lucky that I don't give a drat about fertility though, since it opens my options so much more

*Googles* That sounds like it's minimally disruptive and invasive, so yay!

Turns out my extreme tiredness was accurate, period started the next day. Day 2 and I'm still wrecked, hopefully it'll lift tomorrow, it usually does at some point. Since my whole country is in sort of full blown lockdown (but not really), there's not much I could be doing anyway.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I get about 24 hours of SIKE PERIOD NO PERIOD little splashes before the inevitable bloodgates open and I have about 18 hours of having to change a megatampon every hour or two. After that, it's fine!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

YeahTubaMike posted:

I wore a thong one time and it felt so gross & uncomfortable that I never did it again, kind of like the time I tried tweezing my eyebrows but stopped after one hair.

Every attempt I've made to be more feminine has been cursed. :smith:

Your brows are probably awesome as is, but if you are unhappy with how they look, you should know that the sharp pain of plucking completely disappears in a fairly short time. It's like your body goes AAAAA for a little while, then goes ,"ok this is normal" once it's done a few times. Seriously, the fuss just
vanishes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

YeahTubaMike posted:

My eyebrows are, as far as I can tell, of reasonable quality. Even if they were like giant caterpillars on my face, I think I'd just leave them. They never did nothing to nobody.

Oh they are great! Lovely arc and naturally tidy , I'd leave those the heck alone.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I feel like my experience of periods is fundamentally different to my mother's, because I'm pretty sure she had the really polite kind that you just dealt with with a couple of dinky little tampons and otherwise ignored, whereas I have the kind where it's quiet for days 1 and 2, then hold on to your fuckin hats, you need mega tampons plus pads and you'll be changing those tampons every two hours for about 18 hours.

And she is not super good with experiences that do not exactly mirror her own. :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

teen witch posted:

It’s me I’m your mom now, let’s bond over period tsunamis and idk, you like weed, kid?

Awesome,thank you! You can be like an Aunt Flo but one who is welcome and helpful and who brings weed, not cramps and suffering :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Holy gently caress I was just trying to make spanikopita for Thanksgiving and got hit with a mack truck of post-miscarriage period agony. The Ob-gyn warned me, but I was still unprepared. Thankfully I was wearing my ugliest pants.

On the plus side this means my hormones are regulating so I can try to have a kid again soon. On the downside I'm gonna miss Thanksgiving cause I can barely move.

poo poo, sorry that you are having a bad time, heres hoping you've a better experience next time <3

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I remember seeing an old crime film in which the hero, accompanied by a young woman, goes into a house where there's been a grisly murder and mutters to himself that he hopes she doesn't realise what that smell is - i.e. the smell of blood everywhere, and I thought "Dude, she can probably tell you exactly how old that blood is just by the smell..."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I got some liners that have an anti-stick layer that is designed to split down the middle of the flap protection thingy, and I am just asking... Why??? Most people just want to whip that thing off and attach the flaps, why would anyone want it to be individualized???

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

HopperUK posted:

Is there evidence for that pheromone thing? That's fascinating.

In, I think, the blessed picture thread, there are a couple of posts near the end where in trans people describe how traumatised dogs who are afraid of men/women become entirely unafraid of specific people once they transition. Those puppos can smell if the person they meet is a human male or female, and they cannot be tricked. You smell like the non-scary gender, pups love you.

It occurs to me that this is poo poo for people who are trans but who do not want to deal with hormones. Youse are awesome and valuable I just wanted to acknowledge that dogs are magic. They can't manage everything but you loving know that dogs love you 100% of the time, because you are perfect.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In (I think) the Blessed Pictures thread, there were a couple of people describing instances where dogs who were afraid or all men, or all women went from fearing specific people to loving them dearly when they started transitioning, which is both super lovely and also shows that dogs are extremely aware of how our hormone profiles make us smell.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've gotten to the joyous age where the period cycle gives me weird palpitations for days on end. When it first started, I just thought I was about to die of fucky heart, but I got tested and did a little research. The tests showed no heart problems at all, and the research said 'yeah, that'll happen'. loving weird pitta patty heart intermittently for days on end when hormone switches are happening.

Fun Times!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

At its best when you're trying to fall asleep and can't because your heart is being a hyperactive child on a sugar binge.
"This is not what 'cardio' means!" I mentally scream to my stupid organs.

Oh yeah, its 100% at night, so you have all silence to hear the weirdness, and allthe free time to think about how you're about to die. (Probably not of course, but maaaaaybe...)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

There are plenty of nights when I have to use ear plugs (noisy upstairs neighbors) and they make the pounding seem so much worse. At least the banging about upstairs is not an obvious sign that my heart is about to bust out of my ribcage and go forth to roam the night, devouring small animals and laying waste to local crops.

I just did a little more reading and you know, it's absolutely infuriating that this is such an extremely commonplace thing to happen when you hit your late 30's/early 40's, and no one ever mentions it as a thing.

You hear all about the hot flashes in actual menopause, but no one thinks to mention that even when your period cycle seems to be exactly the same as it ever was, you're really quite likely to start noticing your heart start hammering, or in my case doing that 'pause... EXTRA BIG BEAT' thing several times a minutes, off and on for days on end when your hormone levels change.

It would have saved me a hell of a lot of worrying if I'd known to expect it.

I remember when it first started, I freaked out and went to the doctor, got a 24 hour heart monitor to check (no probs), so I was a bit reassured, but kind of puzzled, and I mentioned the whole thing to my mother, and she was all "oh yeah, I remember when that started happening to me too; for a while, I thought I was about to drop dead, and then I thought 'gently caress it, hasn't happened yet' and ignored it."

Pookah fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 1, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

I didn't know until I finally had insurance and the ob/gyn mentioned it in 2019, at which point it had been going on for nearly six years.

ARGH :argh:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

It's great for helping egg on a bad attack of anxiety when you're trying to get some sleep.

I'm choosing to believe this is my body being a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat about all the crap I put it through during my troubled youth.
"Make me stay up for two days on speed, will you?!?? You just wait, you hyperactive gently caress, I've got plans in store for you."

Exactly! I've always had generalized anxiety, so weird heart stuff is perfect anxiety fuel, plus as a little child, I had a fear that the heartbeat you hear in your ear when it's pressed to the pillow is the footsteps of a monster on the stairs. This feels to me like payback for being afraid of a calm, regular heartbeat - now it's a psycho who is fuckin randomly smacking a hammer off the walls as they climb the stairs to kill me.

Again, I feel like this extremely common thing is really something menstruating women should get a heads up about.

Also wanted to add: the payback thing - I used to drink waaay too much and had no weird heart stuff, it only started when I was eating like a head of broccoli a day and had completely quit alcohol. My doctor visit basically showed I had extremely good lung capacity/cholesterol/general health levels. I really don't say this as a boast, just that I was in better health than I had been in literally forever and the heart poo poo happened anyway.

Don't feel bad for having partied, being a cis woman with the average hormone profile is enough for things to get weird. My mum did pretty much nothing* and her heart went all stupid. *A little 70s weed is basically nothing

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 1, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I've never tried blood sausage I should though.

Its ok, like, it's tasty but kind of iron-y tasting. Blood pudding (aka black pudding) is totally commonplace in Ireland. Personally, I prefer white pudding - more mildly spicy/peppery, less iron-y. FYI, if you get the chance to try some, don't get the smooth kind, get the ones with oats n stuff, much nicer.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

Totally agree. It's genuinely unsettling and no one tells us about it!

oh, it's not that I feel bad about drug use or anything, it's my somewhat grim sense of humour asserting itself because the idea that one's immune system will patiently wait decades for revenge amuses me. vendetta!

I get you honey, I just hate hate hate that you felt even a little bad when this shite would have happened anyway. Even if you been a nun, it would have happened. We're always conditioned to feel responsible or guilty , and HEY! HAPPENED ANYWAY!!!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ayin posted:

fuckin'

well I'm glad I decided to believe that those palpitations meant nothing :c00lbutt:

e: I even had a holter monitor, it was for something else but it also was fine

Welcome to the "pissed off that we got a fright about a thing that is apparently commonplace but no-one tells you" club

We're pissy and our hearts do annoying poo poo a couple of times a month, or whenever the hormones tell them to. Our club motto is

"poo poo, this is normal? Why the hell did no-one tell me?"

Edit: I get sore knees too, never thought they were hormonal, but it does make a lot of sense.
So we get fucky hearts, sore tits, crampy uteruses, achy knees, water swelling, horrible moods, and I can't think what else, all for the privilege of maybe getting pregnant.

Woo.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 3, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So far my sense of taste has stayed stable, but my sense of smell is 100% influenced my the aul hormone cycle. I can come into a room and be overwhelmed by a terrible stench of feet that literally no-one else can smell.
I have the grossest superpower of being able to tell who was on the bathroom before me, purely by the individualized stank.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

People fantasize about having these kinds of powers, but they really do they really think about what it's actually like - its mostly just gross and nasty as heck. Also yeah, the heart pitty pat thing completely stopped about 24 hours after my period ended.

So boring yet so stressful.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bogus Adventure posted:

I don't know how I stumbled into this thread (I'm a penis haver), but my mother may have this. I'm the one member of the family she can talk to about this (my dad's English is pretty meh, and my brother was too young at the time and is very yoga/new age today). She thought she was having irregular heartbeats and was super stressed about it. She might still be because she's on hormones (that's another story and beyond this thread), but I will mention this to her because I know she's worried about her heart and her health.

Thank you for sharing it. My mom gets stressed easily, and we were worried that her heart was succumbing to it.

I'm so glad you did stumble in! Here's hoping it's just this ordinary and very probably entirely harmless thing, and she feels at least somewhat reassured :)

I suppose doctors can never assume any irregularity in heartbeat is harmless, which would go some way to explaining why the default isn't to say that it's a fairly ordinary thing to happen at certain stages in life, but it's shocking that so many women seem to have to have a very frightening experience that they could so easily be warned about in advance.

It's easier these days with so much information available on the internet, but Jesus, think of all the generations of women who went through this with no access to any information, no possibility of having their hearts checked. Just had to hope it was ok or spend all their time worrying they were about to die :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yay! Glad to hear your mum isnt stressing about this. I suffer from anxiety too, and even though I know this thing is almost certainly harmless, it's still really unpleasant because it's your drat heart being weird.

Almost the only organ that can off you in a few seconds. Just doing a 'Sike! Are you paying attention? Just did a weird thing there, nothing's actually wrong, but wouldn't it be CRAAAZY if it were???' and this poo poo goes on for literally days. And it's especially bad when you're trying to sleep - I'm not saying you just notice it more then; it actually ramps up when you are lying down and trying to relax.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcheopis posted:

It is believed to be caused by hormone fluctuations.

drat 'hormone fluctuations' is, to the study of women's biology what 'ritual purposes' is to archaeology.

IE a catchall term that basically means 'hosed if I know'

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sorry if that came off as rudeness directed at you, I just meant that sometimes it feels like female medical issues are looked at as deviations from a perceived norm, like women are just being difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

hopeandjoy posted:

https://twitter.com/kasiababis/status/1383002842034757634

Can we as a species just agree that people who have never had a period don’t get to invent period products? Thanks.

I would adore to be this stupid, self-absorbed and egotistical for even 5 minutes. I would invent so much stupid crap, like an invisible hairnet to prevent bugs sticking to your hairgel.

(That's copywrited, no grabbsies)