Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SatansOnion posted:

my sympathies to those of my fellow uterus-havers/ladies whose wombs are currently undergoing their monthly remodeling (like mine)

I’ve never been very happy with this monthly phenomenon, even as I recognize that its occurrence in my own body is generally benign, for the most part (that is, barring the time or two per year I end up with particularly vicious cramps) Perhaps oddly, I found that switching to the cup made my sometime bad cramps slightly less awful, and my more typical cramps close to nonexistent.

say, does anyone else get slightly tight/achy lower back muscles at this time of the month? At the moment I have a mild twinge there, but only on my left side :psyduck:

I have scoliosis, so extra back pain was a given every month. I never had much trouble with cramps and my periods were mostly fairly benign and very predictable for decades. Don't miss them, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

Getting older has made my period worse. Up until I was 27 or so I had zero PMS or other physical symptoms like cramps. I’d just bleed for a few days and that was it. But now I tend to be more emotional and stressed out over nothing the week beforehand plus I get all bloated and crampy the first day. And my butt will hurt the night before it starts. Which makes it a lot easier to keep track of actually.

I became far more emotional when peri-menopause arrivived.
Used to be X "HeartOfStone" Cheopis, then my periods stopped and I started crying over everything, including pretty sunsets and how sweet my cat is. Horrible. Since I was also having other pesky menopause issues I was able to get paxil, which cut that poo poo right out and I thankfully got back to my normal state of "vaguely annoyed". Good stuff.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spinz posted:

Oh you do not want menopause. Only the unlucky that have terrible pain want menopause.

Your periods are keeping you YOUNG. They are preventing heart attacks and wrinkles. One suggestion for you ladies that by the way I love seeing you here!! :love:

We are all different I know so it could just be luck but wear a bra constantly including a soft one to bed (unless sexy times or we, lucky you.) I got in the habit of wearing armor type bras when cocktail waitressing, we had these sleeveless tops that had no shoulder covering either so we had to tie our bra straps closer together with shoelaces to hide them. Keeping those babies cinched up made them look younger than my face now. I wear 2 bras when excercising too.

Man I miss my periods :( Suddenly you age.

The maternal line in my family is one that had benign "woman troubles"; my menopause is actually pretty mild and my sister has had no symptoms at all.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

You youngsters are fortunate in not having to deal with the belt + pad/rag system. It was awful but also superior to the previous "rag" situation.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Having periods when you are homeless is also somethin' special.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spinz posted:

This sounds incredibly bad yes. :(

Entered menopause juuuust at a time when having to also buy tampons would mean eating crackers for a few days. Whew! Prior to that was an exercise in keeping clean when I had no idea when or for how long or even how heavy my periods would be. Perimenopause is weird and annoying.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't really get periods for years and years because of my implant

...which was scheduled for replacement in April

The first time I got a real period since like 2007, I lost my poo poo so bad I was straight-up microwaving chocolate bars

That's actually pretty funny.
"gently caress all this, I'm using the microwave!"

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

It didn't just have to be chocolate, it had to be chocolate AND GOOEY

:black101:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I have never craved chocolate.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Periods are weird.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pump Jockey posted:

I never get the chocolate cravings, instead I become a ravenous monster for anything salty and bloat up like a seal. It’s not uncommon for me to gain as much as 10-15 pounds of bloat and spend the entire last day of my period on the toilet pissing it all out.

One time this caused me to pee and wipe and pee and wipe so much that I ended up with labial abrasions that required prescription ointment to cure.

Why am I like this

Oof.

Yeah, salt was (still is) a problem for me. I did figure out that if I just had very very tiny amounts of straight-up salt, then the cravings would back off. I used to joke about getting one of those salt licks with added nutrients for my purse.
These days, I've been swinging between dumping a container of salt all over a single egg or complaining that the brand of salted butter that I have been eating for years is waaay too salty.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zero interest in balls.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Actually there is one sorta good thing about periods: doing a period poop so massive and wondrous that you feel all the pain leaving your body as if god himself is giving you a rectal massage

Also useful for those occasional bouts of constipation. Maybe we can rebrand!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The only time I've had anything like period cramps or massive bleeding was when I had what's called a "missed abortion". Boy, howdy! Nearly 24-hours after the bloodgates opened, I finally got taken to the ER and my blood pressure was so low the doctor thought I would need a blood transfusion on the spot. Turns out that the ol' maternal line is also so very good at rapidly creating new red blood cells (go go gadget bone marrow!) that the blood replacing people were baffled by her request. I did need to have a d&c, though. Pretty ghastly couple of days.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

HopperUK posted:

My first period was on school sports day and I'd just turned 12. Thankfully I was unathletic so did not have to do a sports. And my mum was careful to prepare us because she came on at 10 and her mother was completely unhelpful so for a month or two she thought she was dying.

My mom brought books from the library and sat down with me to go over everything when I was 10, about a year or so before I started. She had some failures as a parent but did a great job with the whole menstruation/pregnancy business.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

I have a friend who smuggles snacks into the movies by cramming her ample purse full of candy and then sprinkling tampons over the top

the person checking for smuggled food is invariably a teen boy who will freak out at the sight of tampons and not check any further

I used to carefully remove the paper and then replace the tampon with tiny bags of coke, shrooms, and tabs of acid (yes, I was a "drug runner" as a teen) and then just as carefully glue the paper back together. Not easy, so it was a good thing I took a lot of speed and had hyper-concentration. Very effective.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 12, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Literally A Person posted:

Male tampon fear is pretty funny stuff. Maybe I've just been married too long but why would you be afraid of what is for all intents and purposes a vaginal cotton-ball?

My first boyfriend was a biker who was surprisingly ok with occasionally buying tampons for me. One of the few men I've dated who were definitely secure in their masculinity.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I mean, do you really have to be secure in your masculinity to purchase a 'pon? Does the penis wilt so when in proximity to WOMEN'S sterile cotton? I think it's just dudes being lazy fucks and using any excuse possible to just not help out.

I think a lot of men subconsciously believe menstruation is somehow infectious and if they so much as walk down the feminine hygiene aisle, then they'll suddenly become a guuuurl and start bleeding all over the place.
No, really, I've encountered guys so insecure they would not walk down that aisle at the store. loving bizarre.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Guys doing the shopping also have the problem of facing a huge wall of products they don't understand. Does the range of tampons from "slim" to "super plus" refer to vagina size? :stonk: When it comes to pads, thicker is better, right? Those thin ones don't look like they can hold much at all, now the super thick overnight incontinence pads, those look dependable! Should you get the ones that come in jazzy brightly coloured boxes, or subtle medical looking things like what your old mum used to have? What's the deal with wings and walls? And if they get it wrong the lady may be insulted somehow. Or just shake her head and give you the look.

I feel for them. I get decision paralysis in the yogurt aisle.

This was definitely not true until relatively recently, though. And I always tell them exactly what to buy, so no excuse there, either.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

For three months 10 years ago, I lived with a dude that I was loving, and the best thing he did was doing all my chores & leaving me the hell alone.

No matter how mild the period, it's not a time to deal with boyfriend bullshit.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

My decision as a pre-teen to never ever have children was a good one and I stand by it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

:hfive:

I don't remember this but apparently the first time I said I didn't want to have children, I was 7. Why someone was asking a 7-year old whether or not they wanted to have children, I will never know. When I was 13, my mom said (I swear there was context but I don't remember what it was) that she had already picked out her grandmother nickname, and I was creeped out.

Now I'm 33, and as the only child, I'm the end of the line. My position on having children has never wavered, and I channel what little maternal instinct I have into cats & plants. It's a good thing because my exit-only uterus is covered in fibroids and will likely have to be either removed or embolization-ed (embolized?) into infertility.

My mom explained where babies come from and my response was basically "lol wut hell to the gently caress no". It's been decades and I haven't budged from that position for an instant, either. Fortunately, she never, ever bothered me about having them.
Cats are the best! Far better than babies. :)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

CherryCola posted:

Not even on my period, but because of this friend decided to have a period conversation with my boyfriend. He has stated he has zero problem buying tampons and has even told off dudes who said he was "gay" for doing so.

Bros, is it gay to...have a girlfriend?

And why would gay men be buying tampons?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wiping a thousand times but STILL getting blood all over my hands while inserting a tampon is just the best.

edit: happy period-versary to me

I used latex/vinyl/nitrile gloves for years for just that reason. (Glove material depended on what was available; I've bought vinyl & nitrile gloves from hardware stores that work just fine for this purpose and were generally cheaper than medical gloves.)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Elentor posted:

Whenever men start making jokes about how women don't fart or that men are gross I'm gonna point them to this thread.

They'll just assume women only fart on their periods because we aren't actually people and all grossness is strictly uterus related, never anything else.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

That guy doesn't sound like your friend.

Also, I don't know who Abby is.

Abby Normal.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Um...okay? Google isn't helpful.

edit: added the quote so it doesn't look like I'm just ignoring people, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Pw0xX4DXI

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DemonDarkhorse posted:

there were all these cutesy videos on how to make a covid face mask out of an old bra. gently caress outta here, i can wear mine as a full helmet

I shall use mine as an old-fashioned sling-shot to take out small- to medium-sized prey.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Miss Broccoli posted:

atleast y'all get to retire im going to be on hrt till im in the ground

Perimenopause can last decades.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

Who doesn't love a hole that is constantly spitting out a variety of fluids at any given time?

Gotta say, menopause doesn't sound like a cure so much as a terrifying new existence to suffer. So maybe you're the lucky one.

As with periods, it really varies. I didn't have much trouble with my periods and the menopause stuff, on its own, is more uncomfortable than horrible. It's just that I have other health issues and they exacerbate each other.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spinz posted:

For me menopause is way worse than any periods I ever had. I had hot flashes for years, still get them once in a while. Hot flashes are actually a very uncomfortable sensation - it's hot you're overwhelmed with sweat and flushed and turn red phenomenon.

Plus I have my anxiety now and I never had that before my entire life. All the sudden I'm aging, I look older when I look in the mirror my skin isn't perfect, now wrinkles are starting to form. It's a nightmare I'm telling you!!!

My hot flashes weren't as intense as I expected but would wake me up just enough for me to realize my hands hurt and my back hurt and the anxiety would start and eventually I was only getting about five hours of sleep a night. Also, mental fog is a thing that happens. Paxil helps a lot, though it's not a cure-all. Do you have a gyno to talk to?

(Also taking extra calcium, b6, and evening primrose)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Spinz posted:

Thank you, hmmmmm. I have a regular doc I'm not seeing besides phone appts due to trying to avoid catching Covid.

Strongly recommend getting a referral to a gyno, if that's possible. The Paxil started helping me in less than 48 hours.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I have spent the day being one nm off from the rest of the universe, which means closing a door on my finger, banging into a door frame, and bumping into everything.
That is one symptom I used to have the day before/of my period and I'm hoping this is regular clumsiness instead.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A: It will last until it comes in contact with urine, or soap and water.

Does this idiot think women don't piss more than once a day?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

There is no air exchange with the blood, which can alter the PH, cause odors and promote bacterial growth

Well, there will be every time I go to the bathroom, buddy!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I had a really really good chiropractor back in the '90s and never heard any of this bullshit. I think I may have lucked into the only sane one in California.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Me, a man: "Listen, girls. I know you like to think you're some kind of :airquote:experts:airquote: on :airquote:vaginas:airquote: but why don't you just quiet down and let me, a man, tell you what's what."

Yes, this has been going on for centuries.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Bro-ettes? Really?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I have had decent male doctors and every one of them worked for Planned Parenthood. None of the others should have been licensed to practice gynecology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ElHuevoGrande posted:

"Is it I who is screwing up? No, it's the vagina who is wrong"

This just perfectly sums up men in general.