Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I said come in! posted:

Right now Steam says March 21, 2022, but unsure if that is just a placeholder. January 3 would be so nice!

From what I've read and heard it is a placeholder. Its the last day of the first quarter or something along those lines. There is no official date outside of early 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Rox or whatever the community manager seemed to hint towards Jan more than March. It's only been said to be q1 and March 31st is the last date. I've also seen an image of another dev that was floating around that said Jan. If it's going to be Jan I'd like an announcement so I can put time off in.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well the article said this wont be the only update this month, so I'd guess the release date will be the announced at some point this month.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
Can someone with end game experience give me a quick guide or even a few bullet points of direction on what do to once you reach lvl 50?

I want to just get a quick feel for things without getting burned out.

So far I've taken a Striker to lvl 50, I've arrived in Bern, I did a single Chaos dungeon to get a full set of 302 blue gear. I did all of the purple quests, upgrade a single item to +2, polish a stone, etc...

Anything else I should try/ that you recommend before I uninstall? other than level a few alts of course...

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

No point when its coming out Jan 3rd! (I dont really believe this rumor, but I want to hope.)

Maybe if the rumors of New World player numbers nosediving are true and AGS needs cash ASAP.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

MH Knights posted:

Maybe if the rumors of New World player numbers nosediving are true and AGS needs cash ASAP.

Man they've really punched themselves in the face multiple times with NW didnt they. Its sitting at 87k players right now at 10:30 on a thursday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, its really obvious Lost Ark got delayed in order to see how New World would pan out, and that the game was a last resort hail mary in case New World bombed, and it did. And really to be fair, the initial launch was massively successful, it is the 2nd largest launch on Steam, but it nose dived so freaking fast.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
lost ark does not feel like a "last resort hail mary" and i don't know where you got that idea

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 3, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Have you looked at Amazon Game Studio's history at all? If New World doesn't succeed, then they absolutely will not be around for another year.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Have you looked at Amazon Game Studio's history at all? If New World doesn't succeed, then they absolutely will not be around for another year.

lost ark is not the only unreleased game they have in development atm, and they've opened a new studio since the wave of bad press about their mismanagement from the start of the year. it's pretty clear that amazon has plenty more money to set on fire here.

if you had something other than "dude, trust me," it might be interesting to see, but this just sounds like hot air.

e: in particular, smedley's game is still unannounced.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 3, 2021

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Amazon very obviously has a strong desire to produce their own media content on their own platforms rather than just being distributors. When you are one of the wealthiest companies on the planet, you can spin your wheels on failed projects literally forever so long as the executives still smell potential.

Absurd as it may sound, New World is also an important milestone and represents forward progress for them. Their previous AAA high-water-mark was un-released and then cancelled.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
ah, I too remember the hope that Google would longterm Stadia

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Good Dumplings posted:

ah, I too remember the hope that Google would longterm Stadia

seeing that it's obvious that amazon is still tossing money into the burnpile is not cheerleading for amazon, don't be stupid

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Cease to Hope posted:

seeing that it's obvious that amazon is still tossing money into the burnpile is not cheerleading for amazon, don't be stupid

yeah but then projecting 'they'll definitely keep putting it into the burnpile for years and multiple projects that don't show ROI individually' is just... not paying attention to the last million times a bad pre-launch led to a bad launch

to me it's the old 'this is just a beta, they'll patch it on launch' only over a way longer scale. which is totally possible (look at No Man's Sky), but the places that actually do it usually don't have constant-rear end burnout and turnover since you need a team and team lead dedicated to working while the public shits on their current broken build. I guess the distribution team could at least last a lot longer than AGS' dev units?

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 3, 2021

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I'm not sure why this is even a topic when AGS is *publishing* Lost Ark

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

After the constant delays with New World, their game engine not working out, canceling Lord of the Rings MMO, and canceling that other game I already forgot the name of, AGS leadership was likely called into Amazon HQ to have a talk. The devs of Lost Ark were already shopping around for a publisher in the west, and AGS realizing they don't have the ability to make a successful game, picked up Lost Ark. This is almost for sure their last chance at success.

If anything, I think we'll see AGS just shift focus away from making their own games, and becoming a publisher of MMOs and other online games.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The problem is that they thought they could just make games to hawk their lovely engine that no one wants to use to rope them into using AWS for their online structure. Well you really shouldnt try to make a large scale MMO if you dont have experience making MMOs and as a publisher you really shouldn't listen to people that are stuck with design mentality from a decade and a half ago.

Lost Ark presents incredible challenges but they are all related to monetizing the game. The games mechanics and content are fine, they just need find a way for it to make money that doesnt cause a feedback loop that eventually kills it.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lost Ark presents incredible challenges but they are all related to monetizing the game. The games mechanics and content are fine, they just need find a way for it to make money that doesnt cause a feedback loop that eventually kills it.

My dream monetization for the game would be $30~ / month convenience 'premium' sub. Sell me cosmetics and mounts and pets. Sell me extra slots to save loadouts. Sell me character slots and boosts to max level. Charge me $60 for the box. I would hand you all my money Bezos.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Might take a while for us to get scouter though, its not a release class but who knows, Sorceress was the last advance class added in korea and rumors are that it might hit western launch.

what’s the deal with different regions not having access to all the released classes? like, i get that in some sense the classes are the content, but also i’ve been playing scouter on ru and it’s fun as gently caress and now i’m annoyed. are they gating them on purpose are is there some technical nonsense between the different clients?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
So is there an english prerelease? If I buy this game on steam, I just get founder's content, but can't actually play it until release?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

After the constant delays with New World, their game engine not working out, canceling Lord of the Rings MMO, and canceling that other game I already forgot the name of, AGS leadership was likely called into Amazon HQ to have a talk. The devs of Lost Ark were already shopping around for a publisher in the west, and AGS realizing they don't have the ability to make a successful game, picked up Lost Ark. This is almost for sure their last chance at success.

If anything, I think we'll see AGS just shift focus away from making their own games, and becoming a publisher of MMOs and other online games.

They cancelled two other games: they cancelled crucible after release, but they also cancelled the other thing I can't remember the name of before release. The blitz ball kinda game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Good Dumplings posted:

yeah but then projecting 'they'll definitely keep putting it into the burnpile for years and multiple projects that don't show ROI individually' is just... not paying attention to the last million times a bad pre-launch led to a bad launch

the point was that someone was saying that lost ark was a last gasp, and nah, that's silly. it's not even the last MMO they have in the pipe. AGS is either going to figure this out or stop setting money on fire, but if they decide to stop setting money on fire, they'll need to first stop staffing up and opening new studios. they're still doing that. it's possible that lost ark failing might cause AGS to change strategy, but if this were a last gasp, they'd be closing the other two studios that aren't working on lost ark or new world. (one of those studios is jsmed's studio, working on yet another MMO!)

I said come in! posted:

the LOTR MMO was in development at leyou, and the licensing agreement fell apart when tencent bought out leyou and didn't want to work with AGS. it wasn't a matter of AGS "realizing they don't have the ability to make a successful game," whatever that means. i don't think the lost ark acquisition is a replacement for the LOTR game anyway, despite the timing; the LOTR game had to have needed much more time in the oven than a localization project of an existing game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You can absolutely keep staffing up studios until the moment you close them and there have been plenty of examples of that fact in recent years. A company can be wavering between a strategy of building out a massive game company and the strategy of... not doing that, without pursuing some middle-of-the-road strategy between those two points.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Looks like Sorceress is confirmed in for release, but Summoner is being taken out (apparently because of being reworked as a class)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hefty posted:

what’s the deal with different regions not having access to all the released classes? like, i get that in some sense the classes are the content, but also i’ve been playing scouter on ru and it’s fun as gently caress and now i’m annoyed. are they gating them on purpose are is there some technical nonsense between the different clients?

Its just content gating so that they have things to release in the months after launch. The client already has a lot of things that were released after those classes launched and I dont think translating abilities would be that much of an issue with the delays.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been looking at the Martial Artist classes, mainly the Scrapper, and they all look super fun. I already know the answer but I wouldn't mind being surprised: do any of the glamours or whatever they're called give the women a pair of flats to wear or is it all high heels?

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 4, 2021

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jimbot posted:

I've been looking at the Martial Artist classes, mainly the Scrapper, and they all look super fun. I already know the answer but I wouldn't mind being surprised: do any of the glamours or whatever they're called give the women a pair of flats to wear or is it all high heels?

heels are basically modelled into the characters, the closest thing ive seen are some very high wedges, its embarrassing in 2021 but here we are

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmao so basically the standard kmmo look then

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

A non-zero amount of outfits seem to have pants which is already an improvement compared to some MMOs I've played.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Announcement tomorrow at The game awards. Probably release date

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
There was a "leak" that it will be Jan 20th launch. So 17th for the founder's pack people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFhDUaGghKc

Latest dress up from the Korean side

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

January 20th would be very :toot: Even better would be "available now!" but that won't happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Officially confirmed for February 11th

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Game Awards just said game is F2P Feb 11th.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

:woop:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

I’ll take it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good, long after FFXIV raid comes out.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I guess there was a big event for the game today looking ahead to 2022. Idk how much of this will apply immediately to NA/EU, but it’s a look into the future I guess. A KR-server redditor did six pretty solid effort posts summarizing everything.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Also a video preview of the new class launching in KR early next year. Cool combat aesthetics.

The Artist

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anno posted:

Also a video preview of the new class launching in KR early next year. Cool combat aesthetics.

The Artist

PLEASE NO LONG WAIT FOR NA/EU TO GET THIS CLASS :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I was looking at playing Soul Fist and came across this video (won't embed):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfDavcQJQq0
It links to a Google doc showing the guessed math behind skills for Soul Fist:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_lzX_P_wbBsZ2KiHNJttMOhPbT3K373g2z5pH2-sC2o/edit?usp=sharing
This calculates only skill damage, so some conclusions are perhaps to be taken with a grain of salt; raw dps under ideal circumstances does not consider downtime for resource or dodging or buff/debuff skills.
Takeaways:
-Each skill has a multiplier for average damage
-Stat attack increases to damage are linear
-Skills have a damage spread of less than +/- 5% from average
-Point increases to damage are nonlinear and identical for all skills
--2 pts = ~10%
--3 pts = <5%
--4 pts = >3%
--5 pts = <3%
--6 pts to 10 = 2 to 1% (combined about 30% bonus at 10)
--11 pts = ~9%
--12 pts = ~5%
-Mob resists are quite high at endgame (50%+)
It is likely that much of this is applicable to other class skills.
e: Much of the Soul Fist specific stuff is based on Tripods so I think that won't be for awhile. Also apparently once those are in and can be leveled it's about 5% increase per Tripod level.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 4, 2022