Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cease to Hope posted:

lost ark is not the only unreleased game they have in development atm, and they've opened a new studio since the wave of bad press about their mismanagement from the start of the year. it's pretty clear that amazon has plenty more money to set on fire here.

if you had something other than "dude, trust me," it might be interesting to see, but this just sounds like hot air.

e: in particular, smedley's game is still unannounced.

well we know Smedley's game is going to suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They poured money into their tv/movie studios until they started getting good. Incidentally it happened around the time they stopped having bezos acolytes run the whole thing and hired people with experience running studios. It would take many more humiliating defeats before they give up on the game studios, and I suspect that since bezos acolytes are running amazon it would be very awkward for them to do so. Bezos can give up on something he decided that isn't working out, but I'm skeptical about whether jassy would be willing to kill off a project started by bezos without some much more extreme humiliation.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

eonwe posted:

that is, if it ever reach release.

Edit: They also put millions into that wheel of time show and it's a huge pile of steaming poo poo.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 5, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

eonwe posted:

yeah but it should be a trainwreck at least as fascinating as new world

Pigbottom posted:

that is, if it ever reach release.

Edit: They also put millions into that wheel of time show and it's a huge pile of steaming poo poo.

idk the ~Goon Consensus~ but it struck me as just okay

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah but it should be a trainwreck at least as fascinating as new world

idk the ~Goon Consensus~ but it struck me as just okay
Yeah i guess is a matter of taste and I have no idea what the goon consensus is but I could not even finish watching the whole thing, so boring to me it was. And I've even watched almost all the shows syfy ever made without a problem.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Boys, and the Expanse, are both really good. Lost Ark as far as games goes, has the advantage of being an already finished game releasing in America in a month with like 4 years worth of content behind it. Amazon is only running the servers, and doing the localization. This is how they should do things, they should just be a publisher for already existing online games. And maybe if we are really lucky and Lost Ark succeeds, they will look into bringing over other MMORPGs from Korea and Japan that never made it here.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Perfect world just closed up shop, ultimately because they never actually bought or founded a studio to produce first party games, except cryptic. Everybody else who worked with them bailed right afterwards. There aren't enough Asian games that need to be imported and it's not really where the money is anyway. Amazon already got the rug pulled out from under them by tencent on a big ip because they weren't willing to upbid a studio purchase at a time where production companies are buying up new developers as fast as they can.

I don't think Amazon will give up anytime soon but I also don't see them succeeding either.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They somehow managed to launch the most successful new MMO in idk how long, so I think there’s hope for them as a developer too. Yeah it’s a poo poo show of headlines but New World sold a loving ton of copies out of the gate and at least so far continues to be highly played.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Anno posted:

They somehow managed to launch the most successful new MMO in idk how long, so I think there’s hope for them as a developer too. Yeah it’s a poo poo show of headlines but New World sold a loving ton of copies out of the gate and at least so far continues to be highly played.

They launched the ONLY Western AAA MMO in ages, no loving wonder it sold well, there was nothing else to buy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RagnarokZ posted:

They launched the ONLY Western AAA MMO in ages, no loving wonder it sold well, there was nothing else to buy.

Its daily player numbers still put it in the top 5 most played Steam games. So it has to be doing at least a little bit right.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I saw this game is available for buying on Steam, but releases on Feb. 11th. for free - but for $15 you can get a month of premium time and a 3 day head start. $15 seems like a low enough investment that I’ll try it for a month - New World wrung about 100 hours out of me in that time.

Looking at the classes, which is closest to a Diablo 3 witch doctor? I saw summoner got swapped out for wizard or something.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

wolfs posted:

I saw this game is available for buying on Steam, but releases on Feb. 11th. for free - but for $15 you can get a month of premium time and a 3 day head start. $15 seems like a low enough investment that I’ll try it for a month - New World wrung about 100 hours out of me in that time.

Looking at the classes, which is closest to a Diablo 3 witch doctor? I saw summoner got swapped out for wizard or something.

Summoner wasn't a pet class anyhow. The game doesn't really have a pet class.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Perfect world just closed up shop...

Wait, is this a different company than Perfect World Entertainment? I thought PWE was a huge company with a couple of games that were big in Asia?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

MH Knights posted:

Wait, is this a different company than Perfect World Entertainment? I thought PWE was a huge company with a couple of games that were big in Asia?

They recently sold off their international ventures.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Cease to Hope posted:

Summoner wasn't a pet class anyhow. The game doesn't really have a pet class.

You could play a bard and pretend your three party members are pets...

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's the finance model of this? Monthly subscription (FFXIV), buy once then it's free (Guild Wars 2), fremium with content behind paywalls (D&D online), fremium with cosmetics only, or something else?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's the finance model of this? Monthly subscription (FFXIV), buy once then it's free (Guild Wars 2), fremium with content behind paywalls (D&D online), fremium with cosmetics only, or something else?

free with grind boosters that buy past daily/weekly grind caps. there's a subscription package for the grind booster and it looks like the NA version is packing more into that as the main monetization

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

wolfs posted:

Whoops I didn't realize it was free and gifted it to a friend today :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The founder packs give you early access. :toot: The gold founder pack is regarded as the best value.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

ninjoatse.cx posted:

There has been a some contention about the monetization within the game's global community as people twiddle their thumbs waiting for release, but here are the cliffnotes

-Free to Play
-Paid costumes, pet and mount skins
-Premium subscription booster service that adds some minor convenience options and accelerates endgame farm
-Exchange market that allows free players to buy premium currency with earnable game currency, and vice versa
-An auction house that runs on earnable currency in which players can sell, among other things, items needed for endgame gear progression (paying players can buy faster progression from free players)
-Stats are totally normalized in PvP and the highest difficulty of PvE content, so no amount of whaling will help you beat other players in direct competition or pinnacle content.

My takeaway is basically that paying players will be able to ram into equipment ilvl softcaps faster than free players, but I also don't really care because the game has normalized PvP and it's hard to imagine any scenario in which I am harmed by other players whaling out in PvE. Crucially, there doesn't appear to be any "irritation" based monetization(like tiny inventory that can be expanded with $), or locking free players entirely out of systems or content (PSO2 market).

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 6, 2022

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Scoss posted:

-Premium subscription booster service that adds some minor convenience options and accelerates endgame farm

quote:

30 Day Crystalline Aura

Triport Cost Waiver
Reduce your travel costs with free Triport trips

Liner 50% Discount
Travel the seas with ease thanks to half-priced ship tickets

Daily NPC Affinity Interaction +1
Increases the number of times you can increase your affinity with an NPC every day

Life Energy Recovery +10%
Recover life energy-used for skills like hunting, logging, and excavating-more quickly.

Bifrost Slot +2
Two additional Bifrost slots, which will help you return quickly to places you've visited

Song of Return Cooldown -50%
Make more frequent trips back home with half cooldown on your song of return

Stronghold Research Time -10%
Reduces the research times for projects on your island stronghold

Stronghold Craft Time -10%
Reduce the crafting time for projects on your island stronghold

Stronghold Dispatch Time -10%
Reduce the dispatch timer when sending followers out from your island stronghold

Stronghold Action Energy Recovery Speed +10%
Replenish your energy for doing projects for your island stronghold more quickly

Free Ultimate Stress Buster in Stronghold
Install a special scarecrow on your island stronghold to increase your leveling speed

Crystal Benefactor Title
Enjoy the Crystalline Aura's exclusive title, Crystal Benefactor

the paid "subscription" seems so minor it doesn't seem worth it at all

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mjolnerd posted:

the paid "subscription" seems so minor it doesn't seem worth it at all

they're a bunch of nips and tucks that speed up farming, especially the bifrost slots

i was under the impression that amazon was going to gently caress with crystalline aura some more but maybe i was mistaken?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

My takeaway is basically that paying players will be able to ram into equipment ilvl softcaps faster than free players, but I also don't really care because the game has normalized PvP and it's hard to imagine any scenario in which I am harmed by other players whaling out in PvE. Crucially, there doesn't appear to be any "irritation" based monetization(like tiny inventory that can be expanded with $), or locking free players entirely out of systems or content (PSO2 market).

There is some, but not much irritation-based monetization. Loadout slots need to be purchased for gear and 'spec'. You get 2 for free, but if you want more, you have to unlock them with bux. 'Auto Pickup' is attached to a pet service.

On end-game: If you want to do PvP, there are few strings attached and you can do the F2P thing pretty easily. I know little about the details of the PvP side of things, so there might be some nuance I'm missing here.

For PvE it's a bit more complex. Equalized (normalized) raids are universally available for all the 8 man content, with some 4 man equalized content. This is changing somewhat rapidly, but as it is right now, a lot of the 4-man content is NOT equalized, it is Harmonized, and it's on a rotation and cannot be arbitrarily queued into.

Equalized: You literally just pick your stats and spec from a builder with a pool of points. Absolutely no P2W is here.
Harmonized: Your current gear is just set to a specific item level.

With both Equalized and Harmonized content, you *still* need to cross an iLevel threshold to even queue. Furthermore, Equalized content doesn't drop gear, so it's not an avenue to acquire gear to cross that threshold - you will have to engage with the standard game. How much is TBD.

If your intent here is to play just the Equalized PvE side of things, you are still signing up for some amount of grinding. How much is anyone's guess, but I'd very much wait and see what shows up on NA. Could be dozens of hours a week. Could be a much more trivial amount of time. Regardless, you will not have arbitrary Equalized/Harmonized access to all PvE content, especially 4-man content, so there is some substantial fine print there as well.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 7, 2022

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

'Auto Pickup' is attached to a pet service.

the pet service is for the two buffs each pet randomly has, the auto-pickup is always on feature that isn't attached to any monetization.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Roughly how many alts are you expected to have to play the game moderately seriously (like, in between casual and poopsock, I guess)?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Aerox posted:

Roughly how many alts are you expected to have to play the game moderately seriously (like, in between casual and poopsock, I guess)?

It depends a lot on your goals. It's also a problem that everyone has a different idea of 'moderately seriously'.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if the average player is running 3 characters in like 6 months.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thank you for the write ups!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m ready for another “Amazon” mmo

I definitely have more faith in this one though.

How do guilds work? Do they have a stupid low number like NW?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’m ready for another “Amazon” mmo

I definitely have more faith in this one though.

How do guilds work? Do they have a stupid low number like NW?

Yea unfortunately. It’s even stupidly lower than NW.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ochowie posted:

Yea unfortunately. It’s even stupidly lower than NW.

God drat lol why do they keep doing this?

Besides organizing for raids are there any super benefits for being in a guild?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

God drat lol why do they keep doing this?

Besides organizing for raids are there any super benefits for being in a guild?

Actually organizing for raids isn’t that much a function of the guild since raid sizes generally max out at 8. There is GvG but I’m not sure how important that is overall. The big part of being in a guild is getting extra mats. You contribute to the guild on a daily basis both in silver or gold (or a cash shop token) and at the end of the week you are paid out based on your contribution in a currency that can be used to buy mats. Generally guilds aren’t hugely important but you definitely want to be in a guild.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guild sizes are a bring over from the Korean version. Something that isn't an Amazon decision, but the original devs decision. Its probably something that can't be easily adjusted or changed. Anything that has to do with balance, mechanics, gameplay, is on the SmileGate side of things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Guild sizes are a bring over from the Korean version. Something that isn't an Amazon decision, but the original devs decision. Its probably something that can't be easily adjusted or changed. Anything that has to do with balance, mechanics, gameplay, is on the SmileGate side of things.

Ah ok fair enough.

I see that it has partial controller support has anyone tried it with one? I'd love it if it were like FFXIV.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Looks like I am playing Bard and lord i pray leveling won’t be too painful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leveling on the Russian server was really fast.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

MH Knights posted:

PWE was the international subsidiary of Perfect World. PW just sold PWE to the embracer group, which is a video game vc whose biggest investor is gearbox software.

PWE owned Cryptic and the old runic catalog (but they shut down runic like right when they finished torchlight 3). They also own a few other assorted games but I don't believe they own the ips associated with those games since at least one developer was able to walk away and make the next game in the series with THQ. They also sold off some sort of subsidiary for doing movies and tv shows for their original ips, but I couldn't tell you what the gently caress that subsidiary was up to. Were they working on a torchlight movie? After killing off the studio making torchlight?

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Gave the Russian client a go, really enjoyed putting a few hours in.

Looking forward to the EU launch, gutted the gravity hammer advanced class won't be in but I'm probably going to settle for a Paladin. Game is good!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One more month to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I spent $15 for this game so I can play early.

I’m ready.