Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've taken a step back from the hype for a few weeks. Have they mentioned how long phase 1 will last for us? That's the real danger I see with release is us getting stuck on phase 1 or 2 too long and players leaving. I know at LAO they mentioned the delay for NA/EU was translating the phase 3 content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its an accelerated release schedule, if anything people are worried that tiers will go by too quickly.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I read somewhere this game actually has proper support classes, is that true? My interest is piqued by the possibility of playing a non DPS class

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Just ponied up for the Gold Founder's package. Now just to decide between Bard and Paladin!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I read somewhere this game actually has proper support classes, is that true? My interest is piqued by the possibility of playing a non DPS class

Yes, paladin and bard are both "Support" in that almost every end game party will one of the two in their groups for more difficult content.

You will still be dpsing though, everyone has to dps.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

It depends on what you mean by 'proper support', but from the way I read this, the answer is hugely 'no'. Some kits have access to important support utility (mostly healing), but is otherwise a DPS kit that has some support buttons attached to it where the opportunity cost is damage.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is there a good summary anywhere of all the current classes that are expected to launch in NA and their playstyle/feel at endgame? I've seen a couple threads on Reddit but they haven't been terribly helpful, and I'm paralyzed by class choice atm.

Also, are there any bad classes that are just massively undertuned compared to everyone else and/or not wanted/welcome in parties?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

One more month to go!

are you still planning to do a new thread for the new release? the OP is pretty outdated for what’s coming up for EU/NA release. we can keep this one around for people who still plan to play via VPN on the older releases.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!

Aerox posted:

Is there a good summary anywhere of all the current classes that are expected to launch in NA and their playstyle/feel at endgame? I've seen a couple threads on Reddit but they haven't been terribly helpful, and I'm paralyzed by class choice atm.

Also, are there any bad classes that are just massively undertuned compared to everyone else and/or not wanted/welcome in parties?

Try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCroBRFN-eg

It is by Arekkz, who put out a lot of Monster Hunter World info videos, and he has a good rundown of all the classes and how they play.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Wyrmthang posted:

Try this one:

Awesome, thank you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

are you still planning to do a new thread for the new release? the OP is pretty outdated for what’s coming up for EU/NA release. we can keep this one around for people who still plan to play via VPN on the older releases.

Yeah! It was my plan to do a new thread really soon here. It's been on my mind this week. I should probably create that pretty soon now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

It depends on what you mean by 'proper support', but from the way I read this, the answer is hugely 'no'. Some kits have access to important support utility (mostly healing), but is otherwise a DPS kit that has some support buttons attached to it where the opportunity cost is damage.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yes, paladin and bard are both "Support" in that almost every end game party will one of the two in their groups for more difficult content.

You will still be dpsing though, everyone has to dps.

Oh bummer, I guess I interpreted that as something like EQ or FFXI bard and less like a support spec in Diablo 2. Oh well

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Wyrmthang posted:

Try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCroBRFN-eg

It is by Arekkz, who put out a lot of Monster Hunter World info videos, and he has a good rundown of all the classes and how they play.

This wasn't too informative. Their description of striker was

It attacks enemies like a strong wind.

I have no idea how that plays. It's just loose, vague descriptions that doesn't talk about the mechanics at all and sounds like "Sponsored Content". Is it a charge character? Does it use rotating auras to inflict damage?

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

This is by Stoopzz and Saintone and it is really detailed. Saintone is an awesome Lost Ark content creator. https://youtu.be/0UjYdMoNWzA

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

DropTheAnvil posted:

This wasn't too informative. Their description of striker was

It attacks enemies like a strong wind.

I have no idea how that plays. It's just loose, vague descriptions that doesn't talk about the mechanics at all and sounds like "Sponsored Content". Is it a charge character? Does it use rotating auras to inflict damage?

It might not be what you want to hear if you're trying to make plans, but when you actually start the game the literal first thing it does is put you in a testing chamber and let you freely try the different subclass kits of the main class you picked, which is really helpful for getting an overall taste of how the class feels and its visual flavor.

Also, regarding the original question of if there are any classes so loathed that you won't even be welcome in parties, the streamer consensus seems to be "no"; play what you like first and foremost.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Yeah! It was my plan to do a new thread really soon here. It's been on my mind this week. I should probably create that pretty soon now.

sweet! thanks!

i am so excited for feb 8!

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay made new thread to talk about the global release https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3990778 we'll keep this one around to talk about the Korean/Russian releases, because there are goons still playing those versions. They are still being updated with new classes, story content, and raids, and are ahead of the global release in content.