Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Played a couple hours and put it down for now. Combat is fun, but there's just too many gacha currencies and loot box QoL stuff that I'm gonna pass on this, which is a shame after all these years :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Paladin feels great. Was worried it would feel 'low damage' but it hasn't at all, at least in the first 20 levels or so. I guess i'll see later if this holds. From playing on the class tester, Warlord/Gunlancer (wtf :s) ...i don't really like his skills which is a shame.
Really like that wrinkle slider. Was able to make a more older looking warrior (yay represantation?)

I thought i'd be locked in to EU servers but seems i can create characters on US East servers too? Nice...going to try later to see how the latency feels. EU chat is ... EU chat. Turns out wonderful things happen when you have Portuguese, Spanish, German, French, English and Others all on the same chat.

Going to play around on the class tester after i sleep and check out the other classes, interested to see how the Infighter (forget the western name), Summoner and Bard feel like.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

queeb posted:

i grabbed a key now from here:

https://www.mmobomb.com/giveaway/lost-ark-alpha-key-giveaway-steam/

not sure how many are left.

Got it from here, thanks!

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

Pankratos posted:

Got it from here, thanks!

Same. Keys are still available.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The story and presentation is just about as bog-standard as you can get, but the combat is so good. It sounds and looks amazing even just fighting the little mooks at the start of the game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It looks and feels good, but at least for the warrior the gameplay seems to just be slamming all your buttons on cooldown

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Have Amazon said what their monetization plans are? Is it more than just a cosmetic cash shop in other regions?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Bardeh posted:

The story and presentation is just about as bog-standard as you can get, but the combat is so good. It sounds and looks amazing even just fighting the little mooks at the start of the game.

This is sort of my experience too. It just feels like a very fluid version of every other ARPG i've played. I'm kind of worried that despite the combat feeling pretty good, it isn't distinctive enough to hold me long term, but on the other hand i'm only in the first couple of levels post-prologue so maybe it gets more interesting.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

By the way, here's Saintone's LA guide ... it has lots of great info : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oci4R6IkwiQoVhGH8IHwFIS33dVS7hQv2Z-sljRrmcE/edit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chalks posted:

Have Amazon said what their monetization plans are? Is it more than just a cosmetic cash shop in other regions?

They are being mostly quiet about it and not specific for now.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Played through a bit more and i'm seeing the specific appeal. Hard dungeons are generally just hard enough to make things interesting, though no moreso than that. Dealing with my usual problem of screwing around too much to just get to the point, though fighting Rudric (early graveyard World Boss) was fun just to see what things look like in a maximum chaos situation.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 12, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Steam users are being extremely positive on this game, which is a huge surprise to me, and a good sign that things are heading in the right direction. Although that will change quickly depending on what happens with the cash shop.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i was gonna do artillerist but deadeye is cool as gently caress swapping guns around and poo poo.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lmao berzerker and paladin are both amazing.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Saintone's opinion of the founder packs items : https://pastebin.com/njqzeJL4

quote:

1. 3 day headstart - This is an issue if it happens before weekly reset and a big advantage (Wednesday 6 AM local server time). This is not an issue if the headstart occurs after that because of the weekly lockout on high end raid.

2. 7000 Royal Crystal - hard to comment on this, don't know what will be in their shops yet. But there is a Royal Crystal to gold exchange between players, and as I mentioned this is the worst form of P2W Lost Ark has to offer (b/c upgrades are only limited by your gold income)

3. Pet - Not important, you can buy a pet for like nothing with gold.

4. 30 Day Crystalline Aura
- Triport Cost Waiver: useless, the cost to teleport is negligible entirely
- Liner 50% discount: I know few people who actually use this over setting up teleports with the Bifrost and Song of Memories, or just sail
- Daily NPC Affinity Interaction: Kind of useful for completionists actually, normally you get 5 per day. Raising affinity is for collectibles and minor rewards.
- Work Energy Recovery 10%: Nice if you life skill to make money, otherwise negligible. It's OK.
- Bifrost Slot +2: Easily the best thing. You normally can get 3 teleport points, this raises it to 5 (an excessive amount). It lets you save a spot anywhere in the world and teleport back to it instantly, 2 hour cooldown
- Song of Return Cooldown -50%: Not useful, normally 2 hour cooldown, I don't use it often.
- Stronghold Research Time: The estate is not that useful.
- Stronghold Craft Time: Same as above.
- Stronghold Dispatch Time: Worthless. Dispatching is a waste of materials.
- Stronghold Action Energy Recovery: Really hard to spend it faster than you regenerate it.
- Free Ultimate Stress Buster: Super cool later to help raise alts from 50-59. But you can't use it unless you're level 50 and the level cap is higher than 50. The level cap won't be higher than 50, so this is just a future useful feature.
- Crystal Benefactor Title: Titles don't give stats

5. Founder's Platinum Title: Titles don't give stats.

6. Platinum Supply Crate:
- 60 Resurrection Feathres: You can't use these in endgame raids. You can resurrect without them too, they just let you res on the spot in normal dailies.
- 50,000 shillings: Negligible amount long term, but nice early on
- 5 Adventurer's Equipment Crates: worth nothing, 1 time battle items. Don't make you stronger
- Gatherer's Tool Chest: Nice I guess? You get a set of blue tools for free in-game though
- Hero's Ascent Chest (Level 20-50): This is nice actually. A lot of potions and silver. That amount helps a lot early on. Silver is used to a lot of misc. stuff like upgrading your items. But you can't use it to buy stuff from the auction house, that's what gold is for. The potions are the best part of these, they just save you some money if you use potions a lot.

7. Founder's Avatar: You can just buy a costume for gold, gives the same stats

8. Character Expansion Slot: Nice if you run out of character spots, worth $10 in other servers

9. Founder's Mount: You can just buy a mount for gold, same rarity-mounts have the same speed

10. Platinum Welcome Crate:
- Wallpaper: This is a wallpaper for your character select
- Structure: A nice decoration for your private home, no bonus.
- Legendary Affinity Gift Selection: Saves you 1 day on raising affinity with an NPC. Kinda cool I guess?
- Card Pack: A basic card set, gives you minor defensive traits that won't be the difference between life and death

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Jossar posted:

Played through a bit more and i'm seeing the specific appeal. Hard dungeons are generally just hard enough to make things interesting, though no moreso than that.

I think the biggest problem is the dumb leveling chests with the overpowered weapons. They put these into the game in Korea / Russia after the game had been out a while to help people level their alts quicker. It makes your character op compared to the content because you do so much damage. If you use the weapons that they give you from quests the game is actually a bit more difficult, and hard dungeons you have to pay attention and use a lot of potions.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Frustrated posted:

I think the biggest problem is the dumb leveling chests with the overpowered weapons. They put these into the game in Korea / Russia after the game had been out a while to help people level their alts quicker. It makes your character op compared to the content because you do so much damage. If you use the weapons that they give you from quests the game is actually a bit more difficult, and hard dungeons you have to pay attention and use a lot of potions.

I feel like even with the leveling chests I'm hitting this point at around level 19-20 or so anyway. Or maybe I just went through a really nasty end of act dungeon which sort of served as a rude awakening.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Jossar posted:

I feel like even with the leveling chests I'm hitting this point at around level 19-20 or so anyway. Or maybe I just went through a really nasty end of act dungeon which sort of served as a rude awakening.

Did you do the Aztec style dungeon? That was the first one I remember being even remotely difficult when playing on the RU server. It was the first one bosses had real mechanics and could burst you down.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
gunslinger seems op it kills everything including bosses and rares in like 2 skills

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

At level 30 we unlock a better training room (like the one where we test specs at start) where we can use all skillpoints and poo poo. Pretty good to see how classes will really feel.

edit: currently leveling a Bard. She feels loving amazing to play. Funny how both 'support' classes are the ones that seem to flow better for me.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

madstrike posted:

At level 30 we unlock a better training room (like the one where we test specs at start) where we can use all skillpoints and poo poo. Pretty good to see how classes will really feel.

edit: currently leveling a Bard. She feels loving amazing to play. Funny how both 'support' classes are the ones that seem to flow better for me.

what is the other support class?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

paladin

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

queeb posted:

paladin

ah ok

also just killed some world boss. boy that took forever, people kept running when they had aggro and resetting it.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Do any of the other classes have as much burst as gunslinger? I wanna try another one but I’m spoiled

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Tabletops posted:

Do any of the other classes have as much burst as gunslinger? I wanna try another one but I’m spoiled

The Artillerist is a delayed burst class, since you can do a lot of damage but it requires a bunch of setup from the majority of your other skills to pull off. Also an inherent time delay on some of the biggest hitters.

I've been pretty happy with it in isolation, but I also can't help but feel like i'm somehow very middle of the road for performance whenever I see somebody else.

So I guess my answer is "I'm not sure if anything has quite as much burst as the Gunslinger, which is designed to be among the highest in that regard at the cost of a high skill ceiling, but Artillerist gets the job done, if you can get used to the playstyle."

Also, hit level 30 and I don't see that the training room got any better? Might be locked behind 50, unless i'm reading the buttons wrong.

EDIT: Turns out the special training ground does exist, you just have to keep following the plot for it.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 13, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The alpha feels insanely polished so far, I'm having a blast.

Orv
May 4, 2011

fadam posted:

The alpha feels insanely polished so far, I'm having a blast.

Well, it is a game that's been out for a few years. :v:

But yeah this probably has the most satisfying ARPG combat since D3 and maybe even surpasses it on a handful of classes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Well, it is a game that's been out for a few years. :v:

But yeah this probably has the most satisfying ARPG combat since D3 and maybe even surpasses it on a handful of classes.

Fair! But I was expecting tons of unplayable lag, and that didn't happen at all. The people at Amazon Game Studio that are managing this release, seem to really care about Lost Ark and making sure it has a smooth launch. Their community manager on the Steam forums is very dedicated to answering posts.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Fair! But I was expecting tons of unplayable lag, and that didn't happen at all. The people at Amazon Game Studio that are managing this release, seem to really care about Lost Ark and making sure it has a smooth launch. Their community manager on the Steam forums is very dedicated to answering posts.

They probably like it a lot better than their last job of defending amazon's bathroom policy on twitter.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't understand why we need to wait for so long for the actual release. The only issue I have is that the subtitles very rarely match the voice acting, which is quite odd. Apart from that I can't see why it's not ready to go right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bardeh posted:

I don't understand why we need to wait for so long for the actual release. The only issue I have is that the subtitles very rarely match the voice acting, which is quite odd. Apart from that I can't see why it's not ready to go right now.

Yeah, if it was like 1 or 2 months wait, I can understand that, but i'm scratching my head why we are waiting until this fall. I guess they don't want it to interfere with New World.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

I have done a 180 on the warlord/gunlancer and i'm enjoying it now. Doing more damage than the supports helps a lot too, i guess.

edit: not having a nice movement skill ability while leveling loving sucks tho.

madstrike fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 13, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, if it was like 1 or 2 months wait, I can understand that, but i'm scratching my head why we are waiting until this fall. I guess they don't want it to interfere with New World.

2 months would put it in august, which is basically there.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

I said come in! posted:

This summer is already packed with major/not so major MMO releases.

Burning Crusade Classic: Just Released
ESO Expansion: Just Released
Crowfall (lol?): July 7
WoW Retail Content Patch: Somewhere in here? (would guess it will be used to boost retention for the TBC Classic post-launch lull or hit a couple weeks before New World to compete with them)
New World: August 31
FFXIV Expansion: November

End of September just seems like the earliest logical time. (And as an aside, ESO trying to compete with TBC classic seems insane to me, if you remember what Path of Exile's numbers looked like when they did a league on top of WoW Classic's release.)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

GW2 expac as well probably in the fall.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

2 months would put it in august, which is basically there.

ooh sheesh this year has gone by fast.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

You can only delete 1 character per day, whoops. Good thing we can play on 2 regions this alpha, been testing all these classes so i got almost all slots filled.

Despite saying i was going to skip the alpha, i've been playing it a lot and seeing how i like the classes i wanted to try.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Opposite approach here, trying to take one class as far as I can go, so when the actual game comes out I can just bum rush everything in the most optimal manner possible without worrying about actually reading the story and the like. Just hit level 50 and thinking that since this is the point where i'd usually settle down and build the character's strength, i'll instead go and try out some other classes after finishing the current story arc.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I'm...kind of disappointed so far? I've been following this from the beginning but now that I'm playing it just seems like...an extremely linear and not-very-strategic game. Other than the level of polish it absolutely nails, it feels no different than any other top-down eastern MMO.

I don't want to poo poo on it because clearly it's hitting a sweet spot for many; maybe I need to try out multiplayer to really 'get it'? I was so excited and it just doesn't feel that..interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

To be honest, I can't really say it does anything different. It's just as someone who likes ARPGs and KMMOs, everything it does is done very competently in a way that's just complex enough to be interesting but not enough so to be frustrating.

I guess the counter examples that most immediately pop up in my head are Black Desert Online and Path of Exile, which are very good at what they do, but I kept bouncing off of because they either didn't hit quite the same levers or seemed like their endgame was going to be too intimidating.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 15, 2021