Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

rocketrobot posted:

Are there any redeeming features to the new DLC

1) From a story/lore perspective, there's a potential alternative power source for Colorado Springs instead of the Gipper's oil--which is really interesting and I wonder how that ties into siding with the Machine Commune and earning the November Reigns ending--but the crappy new combat mechanics makes it so I can't actually progress in the DLC to experience the narrative.

2) The new location and areas are really pretty to look at and much more interesting than Steeltown.

Other than that, there's nothing here. The new gear is nothing special, the new enemies are essentially just variations of already existing enemies, they reuse old songs for major encounters, and what should've just been a short scenario has been padded out with tedious, time-sucking combat. I haven't looked into new crafting recipes or seen if there's any high end gear that pops up but initial offerings are nothing to write home about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i just got this game on sale and im having the fallout dilemma at character creation of not really knowing which stuff unlocks super fun content later.

im also not sure which weapons are the most fun and satisfying to use

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's extremely subjective, but I feel like Wasteland 3 does a better job than most Fallouts of giving you something fun or good for everything that you'd invest in.

Some standouts, speaking personally:

• Lockpicking comes up a lot. Like just so, so much. If you want to loot, you'll want lockpick, and you'll want it high. In my solo and co-op runs it was probably the first skill that got capped. There's plenty of unlocked loot, but there is so much that is locked up.
  • Toaster Repair has a really good perk for fire damage (so it can pair well with big guns and weird science) and unlocks a special area with some busted good gear. My flamethrower character was an absolute monster.
  • Hard rear end and Kiss rear end are nice to have. Even if a fight is required, a Hard rear end option will usually debuff the enemy. There are probably more +1 Hardass items you can stack then any other skill, so you may not need to invest in that super hard to still get good results if you find the gear.
  • Small Arms is surprisingly versatile, especially shotguns, but the early weapons are crap. Heavy Weapons start strong, are pretty eh mid game, and become beasts in the late game. Sniper Rifles really benefit from a dedicated build, and pair well with Sneaky poo poo for opening combat with a massive crit. Assault Rifles and SMGs are also good for most of the game and have some fantastic late game weapons you can find early.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i just got this game on sale and im having the fallout dilemma at character creation of not really knowing which stuff unlocks super fun content later.

You want to specialize each Ranger and synergize their skills and gear as much as possible. You can have 2 of the same weapon type in a squad but beyond that and you'll start running into ammo shortages pretty consistently. I recommend maxing Coordination on everybody ASAP to get that AP. Beyond that, unless you're playing on Supreme Jerk, the game is pretty laid back and you needn't sweat it too much. Take advantage of consumables and deployabals as much as you can, they make all the difference.

e: Some more:

Leadership is really nice, you can buff your rangers with more AP and damage enemy accuracy with abilities.
Pistols are beastly if you get a Ranger with a lot of AP. I can consistently squeeze off four attacks per turn and with my high luck sometimes I'll get streaks of 7+ attacks.
Try to get your Penetration up on all your Rangers, it lets you punch through enemy armor which will scale up pretty quickly.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 11, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
protip for pistols: build enough Strike Rate (through charisma, talents, Lucia's passive etc) to get to the break-even points of 20, 25, 34 where you'll get a special attack every 5/4/3 shots

Shotguns have a better special than pistols. So pistol to charge a special attack, swap to shotgun for a big cone AoE.

I did a post a while back with more details if you hit the ? under my avatar

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Assault rifles are more viable late game, didn't realize they were bad late game, because they buffed them in a patch recently.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
tbh I haven't kept up much in the last two months or so

The advantage to assault rifles is range + penetration over SMGs. I'd have to look at the patch notes but previously you can just slap range and energy damage mods on an SMG and it does way more damage per AP than assault rifles

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I haven't played since they buffed ARs but for a while it seemed like you used ARs early early game because they started stronger, then moved into SMGs by the time your skill level 4 or 5 because the SMGs would just outpace them any day of the week.

However, the crossbows also counts as ARs and the Meat Maker is a fun gun that helped carry me through most of the game. Slap that on Kwon and things will mostly work out.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

ARs are really good now. I'm getting way more use out of them since they buffed them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got into this recently and I've been having a lot of fun. I'm about to sidewith the Monster Army against Charley, I think.

Got a radio call from Angela Deth that the Patriarch is a tyrant (which is super obvious) so I'm guessing I'll have to side with her or the Patriarch near the end of the game and she is a character from the previous two games with a cool dumb name...

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got into this recently and I've been having a lot of fun. I'm about to sidewith the Monster Army against Charley, I think.

Got a radio call from Angela Deth that the Patriarch is a tyrant (which is super obvious) so I'm guessing I'll have to side with her or the Patriarch near the end of the game and she is a character from the previous two games with a cool dumb name...

I wouldn't give Angela much credit. Without going into details her plan is at best batshit insanity. Turns out losing everyone at the end of Wasteland 2 really hosed her up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

I wouldn't give Angela much credit. Without going into details her plan is at best batshit insanity. Turns out losing everyone at the end of Wasteland 2 really hosed her up.

My team aren't exactly smart either XD. I've been winging it so far and I guess I'll wing it when I to it.

I'll finish Wasteland 2 one of these days. Got it on my switch, just finished the first choice between the AG Center and the town (I went to the AG Center and recruited Rose).

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

true but the best ending also requires siding with her

E: really wish I could get wl2 to work. I've tried everything and it just crashes on start up. I haven't played it since release.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think my favourite part of Wastlenad 3 is how smooth the gameplay is. I'd love to see a Wasteland 4 or any other game in the same engine.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think my favourite part of Wastlenad 3 is how smooth the gameplay is. I'd love to see a Wasteland 4 or any other game in the same engine.

Fallout 5? Or more likely a Fallout 1 and/or Fallout 2 Remake?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MH Knights posted:

Fallout 5? Or more likely a Fallout 1 and/or Fallout 2 Remake?

Yeah! That would be great.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Saw the Expansion Pass is on sale and I'm thinking of picking it up. How is the first one? Is the second one likely to be fixed/modded?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Saw the Expansion Pass is on sale and I'm thinking of picking it up. How is the first one? Is the second one likely to be fixed/modded?

Steeltown is pretty good all things considered and worth picking up. The second might get patched yet, Inxile has said one more patch is forthcoming so it remains to be seen whether they take any feedback into account regarding Holy Detonation. That said I'm not completely ready to write it off yet until I see what the patch contains. They have patched Steeltown in the past so it's not outside the realm of possibility they patch HD too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And when they patched Steeltown they made a lot of things much less difficult and/or stupid, so if they hear the complaints about the apparently infinite enemy spawners, that may get toned down considerably.

My answer for the spawners in the Steeltown boss fight was to have a melee and a brawler just run up with their bullshit good speed and disable them round 1 while the rest of the squad took out anything in the way or that could be a threat. It sounds like the sheer density of them in Holy Detonation makes that less reasonable a tactic.

I'm also curious how much the Cult of Holy Detonation differs from the M.A.D. Monks, but I'm probably going to wait on the patch.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

One area in particular has four enemy spawners spitting them out every turn, plus another mini-boss enemy that spawns multiple enemies every turn all in addition to the ridiculously high number of enemies to begin with. Its not like you're starting out facing off against 2 or 3 and its ramps up, no, you're facing off 15 to begin with and they begin flooding in almost immediately. This isn't the final fight in the DLC, it's literally the first combat area in the first quest I was given.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is it normal for the Dorseys at the homestead to absolutely tear you a new rear end in a top hat when you fight them really early on in the game? Either my tactics suck or they're a REALLY tough fight for a bunch of Level 3 characters.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm also curious how much the Cult of Holy Detonation differs from the M.A.D. Monks, but I'm probably going to wait on the patch.

Wasteland 1 also had the church of the mushroom cloud, seems that every wasteland game has had some freaks obsessed with nuclear detonation

I guess it makes sense that a cataclysm that remade the world would have multiple psychotic religious traditions spring forth from it though

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Breetai posted:

Is it normal for the Dorseys at the homestead to absolutely tear you a new rear end in a top hat when you fight them really early on in the game? Either my tactics suck or they're a REALLY tough fight for a bunch of Level 3 characters.

I didn't have a problem fighting the Dorseys attacking the Hoons, but I'm playing on Normal.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Breetai posted:

Your characters might be underleveled. I can't say for sure but being lvl 3 at that fight seems low. I feel like I was at least 5 by the time I left Colorado Springs. Did you not do any side things and left Colorado Springs as fast as possible?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Big patch just dropped.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

limp_cheese posted:

Your characters might be underleveled. I can't say for sure but being lvl 3 at that fight seems low. I feel like I was at least 5 by the time I left Colorado Springs. Did you not do any side things and left Colorado Springs as fast as possible?

As soon as I turned the base computer on and explored the whole area I got into the tank and was immediately hit with the emergency calls.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Breetai posted:

As soon as I turned the base computer on and explored the whole area I got into the tank and was immediately hit with the emergency calls.

you didn't go into town to handle sherrif daisy's problem first?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Seems to mostly be bug fixes. I hope they put out a proper balance tweak patch.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mr. Lobe posted:

you didn't go into town to handle sherrif daisy's problem first?

Oh.

I thought that getting in the tank was the way to get there.

Are those little round on-foot icons area transitions between different maps within the same overworld location? And I should have followed one?

I was wondering why I was facing what seemed essentially like a mini boss battle before even getting my first perk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I made the same mistake, the game isn't great at telling you that.

I quickly realized my mistake.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Breetai posted:

There's your problem. You should have went into Colorado Springs first to do a bunch of quests and get another party member. You probably didn't go to the shops either which might explain why your weapons and armor are bad.

If I were you I would load an earlier save.

Or keep this save, ignore those quests (its a timed mission and you can fail both of them), and keep on trucking since that is something the game lets you do. This game gives you more options than you realize, That's especially true when you meet Victory. Victory sure is a character.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Breetai posted:

I juuuuuuuust finished the hoon homestead fight. i used hardass to get the head dorsey to leave when his other dorsey fighters refused to fight for him. it was the first time i left Colorado Springs so im still fairly early. Another caviat to say I'm playing on normal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I almost always play on normal first time on a game, as often Hard difficulties are just painful.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Managed to beat them anyway without a total party wipe thanks to going around the side and demoralising them and am now killing bears in the other location. I'll go to town after that and probably be able to buy out half the shop. :-)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

What the hell, I wanted to arrest Valor but the game just skipped to combat again!? Guess I have to kill him now.

Edit: Apparently my latest quick save did not actually save so I quick loaded just before the Nancy fight anyway. I guess Valor is saved.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 14, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I thought he wasn't a combatant if you try to arrest him. You just have to kill everyone else

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Just chiming in to point out that Wasteland 2/3 kind of need a character with a high movement range, first aid ability, and leadership (that's just one character for all 3). After that, go nuts.

Building a character who can use rockets is the best thing because a game like this really deserves to be decided by a a climatic nuclear strike

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

I thought he wasn't a combatant if you try to arrest him. You just have to kill everyone else

Yeah, but then you get a choice to arrest or kill and somehow the game clicked for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Man the Gipper gauntlet was pretty hard. And now I gotta go back and defeat the Godfishers without having had time to rest up and restock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Is there a way to get more Slicer-Dicers or even a Scorpitron? I wasted the one Slicer-Dicer you get at the base on a fight that looked way harder than it was.