Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
This is a thread for appreciating the unique art style of Japanese HD surrealism. Japanese HD surrealism is a term coined (by me) to describe art styles in Japanese-developed games on HD consoles with certain commonalities such as:

-Painstakingly crafted real-world objects/brands
-Weird boxy architecture
-Seemingly inhuman proportions/scale
-Flat-ish lighting
-Semi open world
-Limited animations - no mo-cap, very simple cutscenes often without lip sync animations
-A strange emptiness like a bad cheap movie set

So what are some examples?

Yakuza Series

Yakuza Series

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (note the strange scale of the walls and doors)

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance (surreal, wide empty streets)

Deadly Premonition Series

Deadly Premonition Series

Bayonetta 2

It's important to note that not every Japanese game has this unique art style. Here are some examples of games that are close but would ultimately be excluded:
-Persona 5 - too stylized, Persona 4 might fit
-MGSV - Kojima graduated to actual realism with this title
-Souls games
-Any Sony first-party game - too detailed and realistic
-Resident Evil 2 - that burger looks too real compared to the horrendous food creations of the other titles

Possible precursors to this style:
While the style didn't hit its stride until the HD era there are some examples of games that most likely precipitated the trend.

Sonic Adventure - the OG

Resident Evil 4 - Later RE games achieved too much fidelity to be included

Please use this thread to share your examples and appreciation for this unique art style. If you're like me, starting a game within this category is like slipping into a warm bath. A glimpse into another reality where the goal of game design is no longer realism, but just the same crappy models and textures from 2 gens ago in HD and characters with really detailed pores.

And with that, I'll leave you with a question for discussion: Does Mario Odyssey's New Donk City fall into this category?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Premonition is a very strong example. The clashing of repetitive animations, often very empty locales that are still bursting with life (like the exterior of the diner versus the interior) and much higher-detail character models than the environments they are in. There is a wide gap in texture quality throughout the game and the lighting is all over the place.

Heck, Deadly Premonition even features a character in a bed with sheets, and that's something you very rarely see in video games (or 3D animation, period) due to the complexities of having characters interact with cloth without it looking terrible. It's not great and the artists hide it by not showing York directly holding anything, but still, it's cool that they tried. He's even wearing pajamas (well, to be precise, he's wearing his suit and shirt combo minus the suit), which is a step above many games where characters go to sleep fully-clothed. It's full of weird little details like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVkLeQChXY&t=2743s

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

That's a very good example right there. You touched on another point which I hadn't thought about until now but I think theatricality is one of the key elements. In that clip, York's room is laid out like a stage with various props (stacks of books treated as a single object, the phone on the desk etc.) shown less to depict a hotel room or bedroom and more to signify one.

It touches on something else I'd noticed in the Yakuza series which is how characters handing objects to one another is depicted. In the games, Kiryu moves his empty hand toward the other person and they receive an object. You are then told what this object was through text or a menu. In all likelihood it's a cost-saving measure but the effect is that the game is making no attempt to convincingly render the object itself and is fine to use some visual shorthand and rely on the player's familiarity with the menus and video games in general to glean that knowledge.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Robot Alchemic Drive is totally like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmnVHIvOQEw

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I can think of no better candidate for these criteria than Ghostwire Tokyo
The screenshots sincerely do not do it justice. It feels like they spent years working on the city and then went "oh poo poo we have to make a game out of this" and... it went okay.
I hope they make a sequel because there is so much potential in the city that the gameplay failed to fulfill.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

Marvelous. Simply marvelous.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
isnt this just the general vibe of most AA games in a realistic setting lol

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

The ancient and mystical Eastern tradition of grand theft auto 3

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Violen posted:

I can't quite put my finger on the language to use to express the difference but i get what the OP is talking about. It's like Elder Scrolls Oblivion vs White Knight Chronicles. Left Alive vs MGS 5. Red Dead Redemption 2 vs Yakuza. Dark Souls is like it too.

OxMan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 11, 2022

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

True connoisseurs recognize and celebrate Japanese HD surrealism. For instance, the poster who bumped this thread 2 years and 1 month after its initial posting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Violen posted:

I think what makes a lot of the games in the aforementioned category stand out is that they create a deliberate tonal clash between relatively mundane modern realism and far more exotic or bizarre elements, like Sonic the Hedgehog running down a normal-rear end street with normal-rear end people. The not-quite-there elements of realism like flat lighting, low polygon background architecture, and restricted playspace combine with that aforementioned clash to create something that feels very dreamlike. I think it's the same kind of "unfamiliar familiarity" that makes something like the modern Backrooms series on Youtube compelling.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Shenmue? Same era as Sonic Adventure but actually trying to be "real world". Precursor to the Yakuza games.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Skrill.exe posted:

-Limited animations - no mo-cap, very simple cutscenes often without lip sync animations

But some of your examples are the most mo-cap cutscene heavy games ever made. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just not sure I understand this qualifier :confused:

Skrill.exe posted:

True connoisseurs recognize and celebrate Japanese HD surrealism. For instance, the poster who bumped this thread 2 years and 1 month after its initial posting.

:coffee:

man this is not the smiley I wanted but I spent too long trying to find the right one

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 12, 2022

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack

From vicious giant insects who have once again come back

We'll unleash all our forces

We won't cut them any slack

The E.D.F deploys!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Disaster Report, DR2/Raw Danger in particular

oh, and Boku no Natsuyasumi

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Disaster Report, DR2/Raw Danger in particular

oh, and Boku no Natsuyasumi

Disaster Report 4 is a good example of the worst of this trope because there's obviously a lot of work that's gone into the cityscape and all the canned building destruction animations but they forgot to actually make it playable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Disaster Report 4 owns.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You put sonic adventure in the op, but Sonic 06 is the platonic ideal. Tried to make an HD version of Adventure with half the time and resources, so you end up with a huge empty city made of mismatched stock textures populated by a handful of npcs that all use the exact same animations

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

So probably not L.S.D. - Lovely Sweet Dream.

I put forward all of the first two levels of Hakaioh - King of Crusher.

Dude gets bitten by a bug. Shows up to his crap job and begins the journey to becomming a kaiju by raging out on the copy machine and poo poo. He moves so loving slowly. The game is not actually very fun but it's one of my favorite PSX curios.

Gameplay is about 6 minutes into this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqC7bC_rTw

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think City of Heroes is a pretty strong western example, in particular the office/warehouse interior levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX__vwEGjeo

(hard as hell to find examples in 2022)

I think it's a combination of wanting a setting that can accommodate fights with groups of 20 gangsters with a variety of superpowers that also looks somewhat realistic. And on a budget, of course. A lot of MMOs would probably qualify except modern day settings are so rare.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

You put sonic adventure in the op, but Sonic 06 is the platonic ideal.

That was purely a historical example. To understand the Dutch Masters one must first start with the Lascaux Cave Paintings.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I dig the weird dollhouse vibe that the entire MegaTen series gives off at this point

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I remember turning the HUD off in Yakuza Kiwami 2 and walking around in first person slowly and just pretending I was Rambalac, the guy who posts 4 hour long videos of him walking around Tokyo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

thiccabod posted:

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack

From vicious giant insects who have once again come back

We'll unleash all our forces

We won't cut them any slack

The E.D.F deploys!

giant insects

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

buglord posted:

giant insects

giant INsects

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
EDF!
6 is out and owns. Play 4 and 5 on pc, or any console you own.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

I think City of Heroes is a pretty strong western example, in particular the office/warehouse interior levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX__vwEGjeo

(hard as hell to find examples in 2022)

I think it's a combination of wanting a setting that can accommodate fights with groups of 20 gangsters with a variety of superpowers that also looks somewhat realistic. And on a budget, of course. A lot of MMOs would probably qualify except modern day settings are so rare.

Dang, good call. The office maps in particular stand out because the architecture is insane. They sometimes tried to make them semi-non-linear, but generally you have to go up one elevator to the next floor, traverse the entire floor to its conclusion, wherein you'll find another elevator that only goes up. And tons of quirky rooms that feel more like the artists were just fooling around making stuff that looked cool, because so many of them have nooks and crannies that serve zero purpose outside of the rare mission objective tucked away in an obscure corner of the map. They'd be hell to actually work in if they were real spaces.

I'll try to remember to grab some screenshots next time I happen across some of the real doozies.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I think I get what the op means, something like Binary Domain perhaps:

I feel like washed out grey is a key component of the whole esthetic somehow...

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

It's an American production, but looking at the examples, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed seems to quality. Weird washed out color palette, bizarre level layouts, interiors which are way too large for the characters inside them...

And then there's bits like the default walking animation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPB9A7733LM&t=143s

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm glad this thread exists, because it gives focus to the feeling of unease I get wandering around certain worlds in vrchat, almost always ones lifted directly from video games

I rarely noticed these things in the original games, but when you're physically walking around the maps, it's stark

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

I'm glad this thread exists, because it gives focus to the feeling of unease I get wandering around certain worlds in vrchat, almost always ones lifted directly from video games

I rarely noticed these things in the original games, but when you're physically walking around the maps, it's stark

You're not alone in this feeling - there was a video that popped up in my feed a while back that remarked on how Source maps often have this strange sense of unease to them, and they're in the same sort of Japanese HD wheelhouse of being large, empty spaces with unrealistic proportions and not-quite-there lighting.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can give some insight into this. In the distant past one of my coworkers and leads was a WoW Art Director and he explained level design in the following way: In TPS or FPS games, the camera needs to be adjusted to the proportion of the player, not the character. The idea is that, due to the small size of the monitor, a real life sized room would occupy a tiny fraction of your field of view especially if you're sitting far from the screen. Unlike VR where the image is stretched to the entirety of your FOV, a regular game is a compressed version of reality, but still seen from you in first person as a person and first person as a character.

Later on I worked with someone with a very good resume and I had worked at SWTOR at the time and said those were the same level design philosophies applied there so those are two big western games with that ideal that I know did those things on purpose.

I don't know where it came from or who came up with it but it seems to be pretty standard. You overdesign a street because a real life sized street would look strangely small to the pov of your 1:2 to 1:6 scale character. So you design the streets to be very big, the roads to be huge, the corridors to be equivalent to what you'd be seeing if you were there through the small screen so scaled up, and the doors to look as how they'd look like at that distance from you, given an average monitor size of 21'. There's actually math that goes into this in the extremely high end studios; but it's mostly been solved so art directors with that kind of experience just pass down a scale to the level designers and let them work with it.

Hope this gives you some insight on this kind of phenomena.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021

Vermain posted:

You're not alone in this feeling - there was a video that popped up in my feed a while back that remarked on how Source maps often have this strange sense of unease to them, and they're in the same sort of Japanese HD wheelhouse of being large, empty spaces with unrealistic proportions and not-quite-there lighting.

I recall some dev diary for the Left4Dead games which pointed out that your standard residential hallway isn't wide enough to fit four people with guns, and wide hallways were a necessary gameplay accommodation that was partially masked by FoV of the player

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I think I get what the op means, something like Binary Domain perhaps:

I feel like washed out grey is a key component of the whole esthetic somehow...

Binary Domain is the first game that sprang to mind for me. That and maybe Vanquish.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Elentor posted:

I can give some insight into this. In the distant past one of my coworkers and leads was a WoW Art Director and he explained level design in the following way: In TPS or FPS games, the camera needs to be adjusted to the proportion of the player, not the character. The idea is that, due to the small size of the monitor, a real life sized room would occupy a tiny fraction of your field of view especially if you're sitting far from the screen. Unlike VR where the image is stretched to the entirety of your FOV, a regular game is a compressed version of reality, but still seen from you in first person as a person and first person as a character.

Later on I worked with someone with a very good resume and I had worked at SWTOR at the time and said those were the same level design philosophies applied there so those are two big western games with that ideal that I know did those things on purpose.

I don't know where it came from or who came up with it but it seems to be pretty standard. You overdesign a street because a real life sized street would look strangely small to the pov of your 1:2 to 1:6 scale character. So you design the streets to be very big, the roads to be huge, the corridors to be equivalent to what you'd be seeing if you were there through the small screen so scaled up, and the doors to look as how they'd look like at that distance from you, given an average monitor size of 21'. There's actually math that goes into this in the extremely high end studios; but it's mostly been solved so art directors with that kind of experience just pass down a scale to the level designers and let them work with it.

Hope this gives you some insight on this kind of phenomena.

Good post. It's not quite the same but you can sometimes see this strange disconnect in proportions when walking up to things in an FPS - for example, your gun will be comically small next to someone's face because the game let's you get way too close to them without having a boundary or clipping, due to the forced gun perspective/camera.

Vermain posted:

Many of the urban textures that shipped with Source, including the ones used in the Gmod map the video highlights, are weathered and old. Half-Life 2's art direction had lots of aging, decaying cityscapes and it all adds to that effect. However, this only addresses the visual aspect of it.

Speaking of Source games, INFRA is a non-violent game about civil engineering and exploring abandoned spaces. Sometimes there will be old and trashed factories that nobody has set foot in for years, other times you'll happen upon office spaces where the presence of people still lingers because everything is pretty clean - or they're just out of sight. But one important part is that you almost never see other people, only the spaces that people would inhabit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWTAenqeyVQ

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Thorhighheels has a great video on this era. He dubs this aesthetic “the sophisifuture.”

https://youtu.be/aWLKc9LJ__A

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thorhighheels has a great video on this era. He dubs this aesthetic “the sophisifuture.”

Highly recommend this whole channel. Very vibes.

They also did music for Umurangi Generation which is a very cool little game that kinda fits the theme as well.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thor is the first person I think of as far as editorializing about / celebrating this whole aesthetic. there be SKUNG here.

I wonder if Uchikoshi counts? I'd say so, but as much as his games are inarguably Japanese HD Surrealism, they're also extremely specifically Uchikoshi at the same time.

I just finished Ryuki's branch in AI Somnium 2 and I can't decide if it's the pinnacle of this aesthetic, more like a tribute, or just What Uchikoshi Does.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Looked at some gameplay from Street Fighter 6 and I thought of this thread. Not the Streetfighters themselves of course, but the backgrounds and the background characters especially got a certain look to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuPt2JHpp5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The Dragonball Xenoverse games, despite their stylized look, definitely fall into this.

Binary Domain is another good example e: that was already mentioned

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 16, 2022