Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

I mean, the concept of DU was never going to work. It wanted to be an entirely player-driven sandbox game, and those never work out. I can't think of a single example of that working out. Everything that comes close has a sandbox built on top of actual game content, which DU never bothered to implement and doesn't seem to have any plans to do.

Pretty much - all because JC has never made a game and refused to listen to anyone or look at other games to see how they worked and what made them tick.

Dude literally thought he would be the real world Halliday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
all the most recent changes to the game seemed to be centered around making it literally unplayable, so yeah gently caress it.

hopefully they put an actual game in there somewhere.

Takis
Sep 15, 2005
meh, I'unno.

FileNotFound posted:

JC is no longer listed as the CEO of NQ. He has been replaced by the CEO of the VC that was funding NQ.

Welcome to the real DU end game I suspect.

Holy poo poo. that's what happens AFTER a company dies...

I came to the forum (lol) to see if I should give these people 20 goddamn dollars to try this neat looking thing, and I'm glad I didn't.

If it leaves beta, I'll give them 20 bux.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Well, they shoved the mission system into an actual patch so it exists now.

I don't think anyone is going to go back for that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Guess this is leaving Early Access and heading to steam on sept 27th

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2000270/Dual_Universe/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is it good (yet?)?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Ynglaur posted:

Is it good (yet?)?

We'll soon find out via the most trustworthy gaming review system ever created: Steam reviews.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The problem is there's just no framework for any kind of interesting metagamery, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is still boring unless you really love the building experience. There will be an initial land rush and then people will realize there's not really much to do that doesn't take a loving ton of time to prepare. Then they'll quit and it'll be a ghost town and maybe the game finally dies.

No goons I've seen appear to have any interest and it's less than a month away. You can't really fight over anything, and the fighting you can do is not entertaining. As it's gonna launch, I can't recommend it. I'd hop in if enough others did, but not really based on the game's merits.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They fall into the common problem of "let the players create the content." It never works out for these kinds of games. Ever.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Crowdsourcing needs to be the cherry on top, players can do some impressive stuff but you can't expect them to do everything for you.

A lot of these games just begging people to fill an empty bowl, of course they're going to fail

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 23, 2022

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Is it good (yet?)?

No.

It won't be.

This is entirely a release driven by the new CEO whose entire job was to "just get it out the door" and that is what is happening.

Original CEO/founder failed to deliver the 'vision' and the new venture capitalist assigned CEO is just focused on getting whatever they can out the door.

Most kickstarter claimed features have been cut entirely - I want to call it space minecraft but it's not even that deep.

Mining is gone because they couldn't make it work without crippling lag - now it's just autominers. There is no real content in the game beyond crappy UPS hauling missions.

This release is nothing more than an attempt to recoup the investment. Do not give them a penny. If you don't believe me - just wait a week and watch the reviews pour in.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks! That kind of candor is why I like this dead comedy forum.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

No.

It won't be.

This is entirely a release driven by the new CEO whose entire job was to "just get it out the door" and that is what is happening.

Original CEO/founder failed to deliver the 'vision' and the new venture capitalist assigned CEO is just focused on getting whatever they can out the door.

Most kickstarter claimed features have been cut entirely - I want to call it space minecraft but it's not even that deep.

Mining is gone because they couldn't make it work without crippling lag - now it's just autominers. There is no real content in the game beyond crappy UPS hauling missions.

This release is nothing more than an attempt to recoup the investment. Do not give them a penny. If you don't believe me - just wait a week and watch the reviews pour in.

Wow, mining was like huge chunk of what you even did in that game when I played.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You mean mining as in digging tunnels? Beacuse yeah, that's all I was really doing and was pretty chill.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

https://www.dualuniverse.game/news/...ing%20sessions.

It's a huge change to how mining worked in general - you can now only 'handmine' space asteroids. (Although nobody really does - because why would you? Ore is super cheap and it's more time effective to run one of the tedious NPC hauling missions and just buy the ore from others who automined it than to handmine it from an asteroid - and forget about PvP asteroids - no sane reason to bother with that, not even due to risk, just due to the time investment - not worth it.)

It's also a fundamental change to what the game is as it introduces infinite resources and removes all need for competition for resources. You claim your tiles, setup autominers and recal them daily. Besides the initial rush to get the tile there is nothing.

There is no ability to fight over land tiles.

It's arguably very much p2w as taxes on tiles and autominer limits are tied to paid accounts - so you could just pay $7 a month to double your daily minerals....

There are sooo many other dumb changes that I can't be bothered to type them out - so here's a video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myRY37NWCfQ

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 24, 2022

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
They ever fix combat so the best ship wasnt borg cube nonsense? Or make it not look like total boring poo poo?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Draynar posted:

They ever fix combat so the best ship wasnt borg cube nonsense? Or make it not look like total boring poo poo?

Sort of but it's not any less boring.

There is still no reason to PvP and PvP fights are basically getting arranged - in part because low pop and because no real reason for it or for anyone to venture into PvP space.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

How can so many different companies all make terrible space games?

Surely at some point someone will realise how to make one that doesn't suck rear end or quickly fail.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

floppyspud posted:

How can so many different companies all make terrible space games?

Surely at some point someone will realise how to make one that doesn't suck rear end or quickly fail.

Personally I think because they try to go to Sim heavy. Arcadey bullshit like wing commander is what we were raised on and enjoyed doing stuff in, actual space unless you start doing fantasy level science is kinda dull. (also they keep trying to make it loving mine craft in space for way over reach)

I kinda think wildstar was close when they actually did space themed stuff instead of re-skined WOW Barrens zones. Starwars on rails shooter stuff was entertaining as well but really, give me wildstar/star wars or better combat with some loving starfox Arena pvp level ship combat and we'd prolly be happy. Don't need to know the drag co-efficient of my loving wings or whatever.

Draynar fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 31, 2022

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I recall the vision for this game being super hype about some kinda groundbreaking awesum possum netcode they had which would dwarf all other games and achieve peace in our time

Does this still ring true some 3-5 years later, or is the hype gone in the wind? Also someone has to explain to me what was it about that netcode that was so hype

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Mr. Pickles posted:

I recall the vision for this game being super hype about some kinda groundbreaking awesum possum netcode they had which would dwarf all other games and achieve peace in our time

Does this still ring true some 3-5 years later, or is the hype gone in the wind? Also someone has to explain to me what was it about that netcode that was so hype

quote:

The world of Dual Universe is a single-shard, seamless universe. That means that there is only one server and one reality shared between all players, where people are free to move, gather, and fight as they see fit.

Not like there will ever be enough players for that to matter anyway.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Harminoff posted:

Not like there will ever be enough players for that to matter anyway.

Yeah. They should have gone full-on Planetside copycat with their game rather than try space engineers in a seamless universe

There are literally 0 pleople who want to play space engineers and those who do are likely also DCS players (ew)

Like, a single shard game where world pvp is a thing means: goons will come and utilize machiavelian doctrines to systematically drive the pubbies away and make the game crash and burn

Although it has also been argued that the game in itself was made just to accomodate the netcode which is infact the *real* product they intend to sell to like, other studios.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 31, 2022

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah. They should have gone full-on Planetside copycat with their game rather than try space engineers in a seamless universe

There are literally 0 pleople who want to play space engineers and those who do are likely also DCS players (ew)

Like, a single shard game where world pvp is a thing means: goons will come and utilize machiavelian doctrines to systematically drive the pubbies away and make the game crash and burn

Although it has also been argued that the game in itself was made just to accomodate the netcode which is infact the *real* product they intend to sell to like, other studios.

I don't recall netcode being great, lotta lag related to mining and people putting stuff in the towns which were really empty by design anyways. with a real game playerbase I don't see how it wouldn't have caught on fire.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

In short. Not in a meaningful way.

You're probably thinking of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZtqoydXpc

And yes - that tech is impressive and that tech is in the game.

If you watched the server tech demo you may notice something a bit different from how DU actually is in real life - the issue isn't DU 'players' walking around - it's constructs.

The DU tech falls flat on it's face even if it's just you alone in an area heavily populated by constructs. Just flying your ship up to a heavily built up area would cause significant stuttering as your client was fed data about the game world you were entering and then struggled to render it. There are actually multiple bottlenecks in play in that case - one is the ability of the server to pump data to the client and the other is the ability to turn that data into actually renderable poo poo for the GPU - and it's actually core count limited. Intel even used that difference in a marketing video:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/intel-core-i9-processors-reduce-open-world-load-times.html

Once again the video is an empty game world but already shows that on thread limited machines trees appear late. (Trees by the way used to be collidable objects, but that was changed exactly due to this issue.) The same is true for constructs - and it's much worse. You can be flying your ship through what you see as empty space - only to have a space elevator appear right in front of you with no ability for you to evade - because it just finally got downloaded, processed, and rendered - and now you are dead.

The whole mess of world changing data is why mining got taken out. Players digging up the world just created too much data. As is, the game ships with the base terrain and your client is fed updates about player made modifications to the terrain which the game client stores as cache. With players being able to basically dig up the entire planet, that was just too much deviation for them to handle the data. So that's why they scrapped the whole thing and just made temporary spawnable asteroids minable, so that the modified world state for those can just be reset weekly.

Finally even more performance issues came from how the game handled player run lua code and your client could freeze just by being in proximity of a poorly scripted screen - so you could be flying your ship to the market, pass by a parked ship that contains an active lua script and have your game freeze. I have not touched the game in years and many if not all of the lua issues maybe fixed by now, but it used to be an absolute minefield.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 31, 2022

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Thanks for the thorough response

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I must say I was very impressed with the various construction projects of some people, and it was a nice touch that they had a separate museum planet to showcase some of it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

People have made some absolutely mindblowing things with the voxel system (which is among the most detailed you'll find), but all they are is empty husks that can fly around (if you're lucky) and carry useless trash at best. The lack of interesting systems means there will be no purpose toward which you can put those awesome looking constructs.

There are just no gameplay loops to speak of, and there probably never will be. They never added any non-player entities to interact with, because they want *EMERGENT GAMEPLAY* to be everything. There's not enough to do to keep your average player invested, so I figure the population of this game is likely to settle in well under 500 at peak times once the initial rush fades, and then there will just be a long decline while those regulars trickle away as they realize there's nothing to do.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

all the voxel data was plaintext json blob served over https via cloudfront lmao.. just an edge node nightmare firehose of accidentally cached data

they also forgot to google redis or memcached i guess for their roles / perms sytem as its still somehow snail slow after years of "dev"

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Surely someone likes this game, right? It can't be all bad, there has to be something that's good about it, I mean it's releasing soon, someone tell me something good about it so I can be excited about a new game for once...

Is the asteroid mining good? I do like me some asteroid mining. What about... I dunno, base building. There's no way it can be all bad.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I haven't played it since beta release, but building your base was pretty fun. I realized though it was impossible to solo, so bailed. Well I built my spaceship, blasted off to another planet, crashed and logged off.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The goodest part of the game by a huge margin is the voxel building system. It offers some insane flexibility as far as making basically whatever shapes you want, so you can create replicas of whatever you can imagine and then actually fly them around. It's pretty loving neat and the flight model is actually pretty nice too so flying around is nice.

There are a few huge problems though:

1. There is an absolutely absurd startup cost in terms of time and effort spent getting the resources necessary to build those things. You will be forced to spend literal days waiting for the material or enough money to buy them in order to start building anything.

2. There's no real sense of progress because you don't advance anything by actually doing. The skill system is just timegating with a fancy coat of paint, so the only way your character improves is by waiting. Also the industry game failed hard because you don't use the products of industry to advance through the tech tree. Instead you have to earn currency and loving buy the higher tech from npc merchants.

3. Once you have made progress and built a ship and all that...there's nothing to do. You can run cargo, or you can go hang out in space with guns hoping to but never seeing anyone to have a fight with because there's zero reason to risk your dozens of hours of grinding by leaving the safe zone. Not least of all because pvp is boring as gently caress.

This game may have some life ahead of it after launch, but unless they get on top of adding things to do that don't require days to weeks of startup time, and some ways/reasons for people to fight over territory, it is just a large scale star wars replica factory.

And they won't, so RIP to this space game.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

3. Once you have made progress and built a ship and all that...there's nothing to do. You can run cargo, or you can go hang out in space with guns hoping to but never seeing anyone to have a fight with because there's zero reason to risk your dozens of hours of grinding by leaving the safe zone. Not least of all because pvp is boring as gently caress.

Supposedly they added alien cores that give plasma that is a 'big deal' and they spawn in PvP space:

https://dualuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Core

I expect some mega org to own all the cores a few weeks in.

There are of course also space asteroids in pvp space that can be mined if you so choose - although for the most part the ROI just isn't there.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

They added something! The game is saved!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

yeah it's not impossible that they could add some things and end up with an interesting game, but it seems more likely that they just run out of money first

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

zxqv8 posted:

yeah it's not impossible that they could add some things and end up with an interesting game, but it seems more likely that they just run out of money first

They're basically out of money - that's why they are releasing, and raising the sub price.

The headcount on NQ on LinkedIn is down 25% from 2 years ago.

I except the game to go on life support the second it's released and shut down the moment the server costs exceed the revenue - which could be within the first year.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

FileNotFound posted:

They're basically out of money - that's why they are releasing, and raising the sub price.

The headcount on NQ on LinkedIn is down 25% from 2 years ago.

I except the game to go on life support the second it's released and shut down the moment the server costs exceed the revenue - which could be within the first year.

A game releasing with a monthly sub I'm 2022 is probably a red flag. I mean come on guys, it's the age of dumb cosmetic poo poo and microtransactions, we know you don't need to milk us for more money...

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

floppyspud posted:

A game releasing with a monthly sub I'm 2022 is probably a red flag. I mean come on guys, it's the age of dumb cosmetic poo poo and microtransactions, we know you don't need to milk us for more money...

It was always going to be a sub game with the "EVE" model of "Buy your sub with in-game currency from fat whales who buy it for $$$!"

Which all in all isn't a terrible idea - after all it works great for EVE, Black Desert Online and probably other MMOs I had the metal fortitude to stay the gently caress away from.

The price hike though isn't a good sign. My personal take on it is that they are seeing very little "wish listing" activity on Steam and are expecting a minimal number of new subs so they are trying to milk the few fans the game has and the few new joiners as much as possible.

I'm seeing this as Hellgate: London selling the "Lifetime Subscription" for $150 in 2007 just to announce the shutdown in 2008.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

FileNotFound posted:

It was always going to be a sub game with the "EVE" model of "Buy your sub with in-game currency from fat whales who buy it for $$$!"

Which all in all isn't a terrible idea - after all it works great for EVE, Black Desert Online and probably other MMOs I had the metal fortitude to stay the gently caress away from.

The price hike though isn't a good sign. My personal take on it is that they are seeing very little "wish listing" activity on Steam and are expecting a minimal number of new subs so they are trying to milk the few fans the game has and the few new joiners as much as possible.

I'm seeing this as Hellgate: London selling the "Lifetime Subscription" for $150 in 2007 just to announce the shutdown in 2008.

Sounds similar to eve actually, squeezing money out of the ever smaller player base with a price hike.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The "Free" version is up on steam which seems kind of interesting as it's not timed/capped at all but just a different server.

quote:

Gameplay is accelerated, meaning that the markets are seeded with useful items at greatly reduced prices. You’ll still need to make money on your own, but you should be able to afford the elements you’ll need to easily try any game aspect.
The Free Trial Server is regularly reset. This means that all accounts are deleted, and the server restarts completely from scratch periodically. You’ll receive a notice on logging in at least one week prior to the next reset date. The frequency of these server resets is yet to be finalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamontjb
Mar 31, 2013

floppyspud posted:

Surely someone likes this game, right? It can't be all bad, there has to be something that's good about it, I mean it's releasing soon, someone tell me something good about it so I can be excited about a new game for once...

I like the game, and I am not an orginal backer since I recently heard of the game. I like being able to build a ship since you can pretty much make any shape you want with the voxel precision tool. I ended up spending 60 hours making a ship that looks like a yatch and it flies really well too. As the owner of that ship, I can keep the blueprint, make copies, sell copies, and manage the rights of that blueprint to make sure people can't copy and paste elements. People can still reverse engineer it, but its still cool.

I have not yet experienced pvp, but plan to after launch.