Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
I decided to jump in and check it out, as I am an original backer. Last time I played was Alpha like 2 years ago. I like the changes they've made to the early game. I have not played more than maybe 3 hours right now, but one thing that surprises me is the lack of players. Tons of room still on this planet, not a lot of chat. I know you can leave your claim and move to other planets, but it still seems sparse as hell for the first days of an MMORPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, there's not much to do and every change during the beta involved trying to slow down your ability to create industry so nobody really cares about DU anymore.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Logic posted:

but one thing that surprises me is the lack of players.

That... doesn't sound very surprising after the things I've heard about in this thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The goon discord link is expired. Is anyone playing this now it's released?

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

I think there's probably a couple people playing, but don't be hopeful of some huge active goon community.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
The fact that this is the only thread where anyone is posting about it should say enough on its own.

This is the two year old beta launch thread. No one cares. No one will.

:smith:

I didn't even want to bump this thread because it doesn't matter and I'm done spending words on this game after this post, but here it is a week after launch:

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 4, 2022

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

zxqv8 posted:

The fact that this is the only thread where anyone is posting about it should say enough on its own.

This is the two year old beta launch thread. No one cares. No one will.

:smith:

I didn't even want to bump this thread because it doesn't matter and I'm done spending words on this game after this post, but here it is a week after launch:

Rip.... I wish it had a chance, but I guess it did and the devs lost it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

So who wants to place bets on shutdown date?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

FileNotFound posted:

Normally I give a year, but if this thing makes 90 days Ill be a Ham Sandwich

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
*runs into thread, breathless*

I got here after reading the new PC gamer review and it sounds incredible??

https://www.pcgamer.com/dual-universe-review/

Yeah, they only give it a 60, but putting on my critical thinking cap I think I'd like the game much more than the reviewer: I LIKE games with "friction", with long travel time and immersive systems that delay gratification.

My friends and I are immediately interested in playing this, we like Ark, Valhiem, Eve, Eq, etc, so we may enjoy a big, slow, deep game more than the reviewer.

So, I've just read the review, I'm at work, i haven't seen gameplay footage - what's up with this game??

Is it buggy?

Is it poorly optimized?

Do roving bands of pvp streamers descend on vulnerable players the second they leave the newbie planet?

Are major systems broken or missing?

Honestly, tell me what's bad about this because frankly I'm interested as hell and will probably try it this weekend?

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Video game reviewers don't know how to play games, (this was proven with far cry 6) so I suggest not believing them and just playing it. Worst case you regret buying it for a couple weeks.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just play the free version and see what ya think.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I’m interested in this game, even if it is jank, but I think I’ll give it a few weeks to see if its still around.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

*runs into thread, breathless*

I got here after reading the new PC gamer review and it sounds incredible??

https://www.pcgamer.com/dual-universe-review/

Yeah, they only give it a 60, but putting on my critical thinking cap I think I'd like the game much more than the reviewer: I LIKE games with "friction", with long travel time and immersive systems that delay gratification.

My friends and I are immediately interested in playing this, we like Ark, Valhiem, Eve, Eq, etc, so we may enjoy a big, slow, deep game more than the reviewer.

So, I've just read the review, I'm at work, i haven't seen gameplay footage - what's up with this game??

Is it buggy?

Is it poorly optimized?

Do roving bands of pvp streamers descend on vulnerable players the second they leave the newbie planet?

Are major systems broken or missing?

Honestly, tell me what's bad about this because frankly I'm interested as hell and will probably try it this weekend?

Play the demo before you dump $ into it - there is a substantial chance that you won't even get through the tutorial before you go "Nope. Nope Nope...NOPE!" and uninstall.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I read the entire thread after my post and I'll just say I have tempered expectations and yes I'll try the free version, thank you for the suggestion.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

floppyspud posted:

Video game reviewers don't know how to play games, (this was proven with far cry 6) so I suggest not believing them and just playing it. Worst case you regret buying it for a couple weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8&t=210s

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Dual Universe suffers from the problem that many smaller studios run into: they can't afford / don't want to pay to make content, so they design the whole entire game around a 100% sandbox experience and pretend that the players will create all the content for them. You get a little rush at the launch based on the promise, but then people very, very quickly get bored since there is literally nothing to do.

Dual Universe falls into these problems very hard. The only interesting thing to do is to build with a voxel engine. Everquest Next did the same thing and that failed too. People eventually get bored of constructing things with the virtual legos, especially since there isn't much to actually do with those things they create.

Starbase had the same issue.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Nalin posted:

Dual Universe suffers from the problem that many smaller studios run into: they can't afford / don't want to pay to make content, so they design the whole entire game around a 100% sandbox experience and pretend that the players will create all the content for them. You get a little rush at the launch based on the promise, but then people very, very quickly get bored since there is literally nothing to do.

Dual Universe falls into these problems very hard. The only interesting thing to do is to build with a voxel engine. Everquest Next did the same thing and that failed too. People eventually get bored of constructing things with the virtual legos, especially since there isn't much to actually do with those things they create.

Starbase had the same issue.

It's not even just that - DU has progressively made it harder and harder and harder to get the lego pieces you need to build the things you want.

T2 ore distribution post release is much worse than it was in beta thus creating yet another speed bump.

In short NQ has consistently increased the grind to access the only unique part of the game.

Everything besides the voxel building system is done better by other games.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

Mid 2023. June specifically

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Perfect

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together
Just to give a counter argument...

This game is janky and I'm sure everyone who is negative on it probably has a whole lot more time in it than I do and I'm absolutely sure at some point I will get bored.

Coming into launch fresh though (I had not played before at all). I have very much enjoyed it.

It's certainly not a game for everyone but I've found it fun.

If the thought of setting up production lines, making dumb ships, flying in space, crashing into planets, living out the plot of the mandalorian season 1 to get off a moon, getting you're ship stuck juuuuuust outside of fetch range 5km in the air and having to figure out a way to build a ship from nothing in order to attempt to get your old ship back, etc etc etc seems cool then maybe you'll like it.

I'm sure I'll get sick of it, but at this point I've got like 200 hrs listed in this game and though a huge portion of that is me just leaving myself logged in to queue some long crafting queue while the machines work, I have to say I've played quite a bit.

I prob won't subscribe for long but 15 bucks has been a deal IMO for the amount of time I've spent.

tldr; game is enjoyable (for now) on ADD meds.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I tried to play the demo but the seat of my vehicle didn't work so I couldn't continue the tutorial.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

30.5 Days posted:

I tried to play the demo but the seat of my vehicle didn't work so I couldn't continue the tutorial.

Don't worry it'll be just like no mans sky, in about 4 years it will be fixed and people will love it.

Nvm they'll have ran out of money by then lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Started playing about a week ago, still having fun but i've basically been playing it as factory simulator. Some people have made some really impressive stuff but I have serious doubts about feasibility of the game to scale to more players if it ever does become popular.