Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
So, besides the connection problems and expected jank, what's the general opinion on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Nalin posted:

The people who are playing it really enjoy it. But you gotta be the kind of person who enjoys building things as that is largely what the game is about right now. You build up bases, create industrial production lines, pump out products, and build big ships with them.

We ended up claiming the territory on the exact north pole of Alioth Moon 4 and we are going to build Santa's Workshop there, complete with snow men and candy canes. If you stand there your compass spins in circles too so it is pretty funny.

We've built a platform up in space around the Sanctuary moon and we are building a massive industrial base up there. So far everybody's managed to kill themselves trying to land on it at least once as it is still within the planet's gravity.

Some of the goons are trying to script orbital taxis that automatically take you from the sea base to the space base via the in-game Lua scripting. Some people have made ships rise and fall. They just need to get them to move and land on the space base.

You just have to have an interesting idea you want to accomplish, either with scripting or playing with voxels, and the will to accomplish it. There is also PvP, but none of us are really at the point where we are making PvP ships (and that is the same with most of the player base aside from the hardcore closed alpha PvP guilds). There will definitely be more stuff to do in the future, though, but right now it's like old-school Minecraft before the survival mode was added. Sorta.

That actually sounds much better than I was expecting! Count me in!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Trip report so far.

I finished the basic tutorial and did some mining only, so those are just some first impressions:

- It's still very buggy of course, but the game is way better designed and the ui is in a much better state than I thought it would be.

- Mining is lacking something. I think maybe the whole digging and mining animation or sound need a little bit more oompf. No man's sky has a similar system but it feels much better.

- I really hope they add support for joysticks soon, that's a pretty big oversight for a game based on spaceships.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I've been trying to sell some ore for two days but there always a bunch of assholes that keep undercutting the prices by half with 100 litter orders. Really annoying.