Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tempus Thales posted:

NEW RECRUIT-A-FRIEND PROGRAM

Aaaand delayed a month. Apparently they never made sure it actually worked with their code redemption system when designing and building it. Amazing. Oh, and it won't be retroactively fixed, so any friends who join the first month won't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The servers are all making GBS threads the bed pretty hard today. It seems like every few hours their official Discord announces another server reset.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

FireWhizzle posted:

Fear not - there will be many more gold-rushes! There is another going on right now. Wrecks returning soon will be a good'n.

What is the current gold rush? I'm poor and need more space bucks.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pigbottom posted:

So, besides the connection problems and expected jank, what's the general opinion on this?

The people who are playing it really enjoy it. But you gotta be the kind of person who enjoys building things as that is largely what the game is about right now. You build up bases, create industrial production lines, pump out products, and build big ships with them.

We ended up claiming the territory on the exact north pole of Alioth Moon 4 and we are going to build Santa's Workshop there, complete with snow men and candy canes. If you stand there your compass spins in circles too so it is pretty funny.

We've built a platform up in space around the Sanctuary moon and we are building a massive industrial base up there. So far everybody's managed to kill themselves trying to land on it at least once as it is still within the planet's gravity.

Some of the goons are trying to script orbital taxis that automatically take you from the sea base to the space base via the in-game Lua scripting. Some people have made ships rise and fall. They just need to get them to move and land on the space base.

You just have to have an interesting idea you want to accomplish, either with scripting or playing with voxels, and the will to accomplish it. There is also PvP, but none of us are really at the point where we are making PvP ships (and that is the same with most of the player base aside from the hardcore closed alpha PvP guilds). There will definitely be more stuff to do in the future, though, but right now it's like old-school Minecraft before the survival mode was added. Sorta.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Tempus Thales posted:

I think the J4G joined to spy our secrets, clearly laid out in code in the forums.

Silmerias has been around for many years. I have no idea why he has an Aug 2020 account. But his criticisms of the game are valid (although the stability concerns are largely resolved as of now). The game honestly needs a lot more work before it is anything but a fancy building sandbox.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

flick3r posted:

What org are you guys in? I used to play back a few months ago but stopped because I didn't think any goons didn't stuff. I'd be down to pilot some poo poo and get blown up.

Wyldy Inappropriate. Discord link is at the end of the OP.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ynglaur posted:

Is DU particularly active? If so, can someone shoot me a referral link? I may try it out this weekend.

It's not active at all. The developers have created a decent foundation for building things, but they have completely balked at actually creating a game around it rather than trying to make what little they already have be more tedious. Like, the only gameplay loop they have right now is mining resources, building an assembly line, and making stuff, and everything they do is focused around placing barriers to that loop to force people to play longer.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

iminers posted:

Wow, cool game/concept but ouch these graphics...

Edit: cant even get through the 20 min tutorial, the game keeps crashing.... is this normal? a feature? what?

Not sure. It's been a while since I played it. IIRC, it does take a lot of virtual memory to run. Did you limit your Windows pagefile size instead of leaving it at automatic?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I mean, the concept of DU was never going to work. It wanted to be an entirely player-driven sandbox game, and those never work out. I can't think of a single example of that working out. Everything that comes close has a sandbox built on top of actual game content, which DU never bothered to implement and doesn't seem to have any plans to do.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
They fall into the common problem of "let the players create the content." It never works out for these kinds of games. Ever.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, there's not much to do and every change during the beta involved trying to slow down your ability to create industry so nobody really cares about DU anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Dual Universe suffers from the problem that many smaller studios run into: they can't afford / don't want to pay to make content, so they design the whole entire game around a 100% sandbox experience and pretend that the players will create all the content for them. You get a little rush at the launch based on the promise, but then people very, very quickly get bored since there is literally nothing to do.

Dual Universe falls into these problems very hard. The only interesting thing to do is to build with a voxel engine. Everquest Next did the same thing and that failed too. People eventually get bored of constructing things with the virtual legos, especially since there isn't much to actually do with those things they create.

Starbase had the same issue.