Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Bad games goons have an org - some of us have been playing for a long time.

e:

The game is absolutely chock full of armchair lawyers, ceos, physicists, you name it that quickly reveal themselves to be idiots that you can blow up easily for fun.

I do highly recommend brushing up on your parabolic and kinematic eqs, or at least watch a youtube video that goes over classic motion, to assist your shipbuilding. Being able to plan your torque from adjustor placement and the ability to do a TWR calc will save you tons of anguish.

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Forgot to mention I've encountered quite a few people that have tried to use EVE goons' name as qualifiers to speak on subjects. There's a few that "know the mitanni" as well, which usually fall in to the category of "idiots that you can blow up easily for fun"

I've heard "the inside scoop" of the bob story from like 5 different people so far

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 19, 2020

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Ad by Khad posted:

Good luck though, seems like this game has actually gotten somewhere after this forum called it vaporware for like three solid years

I lmao'ed pretty hard at the ks in 2015 or whenever but yeah - they made a cool thing. The server tech is really something to behold

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Sachant posted:

So is it any good?

I've been playing for about a year now - and its been very fun. The game scratches everything from minecraft to eve for me and I can choose when I want to do either.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Fear not - there will be many more gold-rushes! There is another going on right now. Wrecks returning soon will be a good'n.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Also, the internet was a mistake:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
that Dodgin guy sounds like a bad apple

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss1cNnkuCvc

come kill idiots with me that can't do basic math and also design starships

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

Are they literally using the wrong materials, or is this another case of efficient borg cubes being the best pvp design?

Most people make their ships from aluminum because its the least used and most excess t1 material, or plastic for colors (neat!). Coincidentally, its also awful armor.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Silmerias posted:

Internal conclusion announcement of these few days of 'beta' testing from the french goon related organization (FrogSwarm) :
---------------------------------------------
As we thought month ago when they announced it, Dual Universe is definitely not a Beta, but an Alpha in disguise for cash grab since they have a very tight budget and have now 2 studios to milk. You even can see in the login page they have still core system to implement... We will deplore a lot of problems in terms of :
- stability
- database design
- backend design
- infrastructure
- OCS
- eve skills worst design
- some unfriendly game design

When they stop the server, the user database is also unreachable, like wtf, leaving in the mouth an aftertaste of amateurism right now. We will have to let this project mature and give them time, for the moment it clearly does not reach your game standard.

Until further notice: Dual Universe declared non-viable
Note: they are doing worse than Star Citizen, loving good achievement!

On the other hand open to test so don't hesitate to get started in the gameplay "wait for the server to reboot because 2 hours of maintenance 4 times a day" you'll see it's super fun :psyboom:

More seriously, some of our industry enthusiasts are testing the production / factory / how to make money101 mechanics. So join them if you have access or beta key. FYI, we will distribute beta keys when we can do it on an already existing account, because yes you understand, our friends at NQ just didn't thought that we would eventually want to give beta keys to existing accounts. 'not having backed yet'... So it currently works only with the creation of a new account with the key ... Wait eh ... Amat .. what did he say? Anyway... :ughh:
---------------------------------------------

That said, the game is promising. However we have some concerns about PvP. Atm even with the most unsafe systems you can only fight a 500km above the surface and not even on the planet. Clearly everything is too early.

Thank you for your constructive post Dual Universe J4G Silmerias. I would have to disagree - the server stability has improved significantly over the last 2.5 weeks imo.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Sadly the industry API is not much more useful than on/off commands. You can use this to restart things to fix the server bugs, which is nice.

You can also check container masses if you know whats in them if its just 1 thing.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

One thing to note though is that I'm pretty sure the LUA code is client side, so you wouldn't be able to just create a script to automate it all and walk away. You'd have to have someone there for the script to run off of.

Wire up a programming board to a state holder like a switch, then have that switch be activated by a detection zone. It will stay loaded as long as someones in render range and be able to change hands.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

Silmerias has been around for many years. I have no idea why he has an Aug 2020 account. But his criticisms of the game are valid (although the stability concerns are largely resolved as of now). The game honestly needs a lot more work before it is anything but a fancy building sandbox.

It's riddled with bugs and sploits - still very alpha. It's a fun game though and a novel thing to poke with a stick.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Silmerias posted:

At least the most rated feature is usable !

They have a crack team of people that they are going to pay CAD/Euro to search for, evaluate, and delete your space dongs. This is reasonable and within any company's budget of course.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Silmerias I think you gave someone a stroke :yarg:

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

So is there any pve at all in this yet. And if not and it's pvp how active is it so far?

No, the game features are:

hit rock
sell rock
build voxel
fly
sometimes pvp (but there are tons of bugs/features to get around this atm so you don't have to)

Unfortunately for the time being, the Devs/Staff seem hell-bent on making the game a very safe place. If you like playing space minecraft though its really fun

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

Official forums and discord would paint a different picture - of PvP being widespread brutal and killing the game and devs enabling griefing or at the very least turning a blind eye to it.

So plenty of salt to be had.

Meanwhile I am struggling to make a hauler capable of actually taking off with a full load of ore and having a blast doing it.

I'm really digging the mix of genres in this game. Factorio style industry, kerbal style flight, eve skills, player made ships and free loot pvp are all very much my thing...

Game still is way more early alpha then beta though - the bulk of the promised content is flat out not there and nobody even knows how it would work.

I know, I'm one of the people out there smashing everyone. The safe mechanics are legit silly atm, but I'm sure it'll get ironed out at some point. The only reason you should get shot up is for being an idiot.

Steps to never lose anything:
1. Install a space radar
2. Install a warp drive
3. Have a few warp cells, 1-5 should do it
4. As you accelerate away from a planet or decelerate towards a planet, have the planet locked with your warp drive.
5. If bad guys show up, just press warp and do your travels later or at another angle from the planet. It will cost you at most 100k to save your millions ship and cargo contents.

This is not a bug, not an exploit. This is how warp drives currently work. You can do this to safely spool up to 29,999km/h where it is pretty unfeasible for humans to get you mid-transit - especially if you burned like 20 off planet before starting.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

All I do is PVP. I PVP so much that I question whether there is actually any voxel building in the game. Pls add PVE content tia

I think they are. They already implemented a wreck-salvaging game loop and there are rumors of actual pve but we'll see :iiam:.

e: on the upside its a great time to safely test things out:

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 21, 2020

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Burt posted:

I am interested in playing this and I have bought a sub but trying to download it and the installer keeps disappearing? Is that normal?

Playing DU itself can be a challenge.. did you try the usual run as admin, install on C drive only, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Pickles posted:

I recall the vision for this game being super hype about some kinda groundbreaking awesum possum netcode they had which would dwarf all other games and achieve peace in our time

Does this still ring true some 3-5 years later, or is the hype gone in the wind? Also someone has to explain to me what was it about that netcode that was so hype

all the voxel data was plaintext json blob served over https via cloudfront lmao.. just an edge node nightmare firehose of accidentally cached data

they also forgot to google redis or memcached i guess for their roles / perms sytem as its still somehow snail slow after years of "dev"