Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I am real interested in this game, I hope to play it again at some point (stumbled on an alpha stress test key and it was neat, even though it lacked most of the tutorials)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Sent an invite to elblanco (in theory) if you can confirm you got it. I guess I have 2 more codes left, one is spoken for (just need an e-mail from them) so one more is available.

I'm pretty interested in doin' this game, if you'd be inclined to share with another random goon zxqv8 at the yahoo.com or I'm in the goon discords too

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 28, 2020

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Same story, looks like something they're working on. Thank you though! Hopefully it'll work :shobon:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Alas, looks like mine wasn't one that went through. Just says they were all redeemed.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I believe yours should be sent now!

It sure did, thank you! Now to wait on them to make the rest of their site work :negative:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

I got in and got it going after a little bit of weirdness with their site and everything.

It's a bit rough around the edges but there's a whole game here of building, space engineers style in a persistent universe with a fuckload of space and an economy manipulated by players.

Seems interesting to me.

I'm playing as Splatinum, is there anywhere anyone is like, congregating and poo poo yet?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I went ahead and grabbed one of the south pole hexes on the moon cuz that seemed like a thing to do. It doesn't seem terribly hard to get around so I just chose something I could get that was easy to remember the location of.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

There's actually a little gadget you can craft in game that projects .obj files as a hologram you can then use as a build template. Mastering the current voxel tools is...complex, but once you do you can make a lot of neat poo poo and better tools are planned. It's tricky to work in the limited set of functional elements in game so far, but the voxels come in a reasonable range of textures even this early so there's a lot of flexibility. There is a time cost, but it's not too extreme unless you want to make the most enormous complex poo poo.

Game is pretty enthralling even with only the skeleton in place, and if it survives long enough it's got real potential to be like EVE but with more stuff to do. They just desperately need to get some PVP improvements in place soon or I feel a lot of doubt that they can hold enough attention.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Well, they shoved the mission system into an actual patch so it exists now.

I don't think anyone is going to go back for that.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The problem is there's just no framework for any kind of interesting metagamery, and the moment-to-moment gameplay is still boring unless you really love the building experience. There will be an initial land rush and then people will realize there's not really much to do that doesn't take a loving ton of time to prepare. Then they'll quit and it'll be a ghost town and maybe the game finally dies.

No goons I've seen appear to have any interest and it's less than a month away. You can't really fight over anything, and the fighting you can do is not entertaining. As it's gonna launch, I can't recommend it. I'd hop in if enough others did, but not really based on the game's merits.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

People have made some absolutely mindblowing things with the voxel system (which is among the most detailed you'll find), but all they are is empty husks that can fly around (if you're lucky) and carry useless trash at best. The lack of interesting systems means there will be no purpose toward which you can put those awesome looking constructs.

There are just no gameplay loops to speak of, and there probably never will be. They never added any non-player entities to interact with, because they want *EMERGENT GAMEPLAY* to be everything. There's not enough to do to keep your average player invested, so I figure the population of this game is likely to settle in well under 500 at peak times once the initial rush fades, and then there will just be a long decline while those regulars trickle away as they realize there's nothing to do.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The goodest part of the game by a huge margin is the voxel building system. It offers some insane flexibility as far as making basically whatever shapes you want, so you can create replicas of whatever you can imagine and then actually fly them around. It's pretty loving neat and the flight model is actually pretty nice too so flying around is nice.

There are a few huge problems though:

1. There is an absolutely absurd startup cost in terms of time and effort spent getting the resources necessary to build those things. You will be forced to spend literal days waiting for the material or enough money to buy them in order to start building anything.

2. There's no real sense of progress because you don't advance anything by actually doing. The skill system is just timegating with a fancy coat of paint, so the only way your character improves is by waiting. Also the industry game failed hard because you don't use the products of industry to advance through the tech tree. Instead you have to earn currency and loving buy the higher tech from npc merchants.

3. Once you have made progress and built a ship and all that...there's nothing to do. You can run cargo, or you can go hang out in space with guns hoping to but never seeing anyone to have a fight with because there's zero reason to risk your dozens of hours of grinding by leaving the safe zone. Not least of all because pvp is boring as gently caress.

This game may have some life ahead of it after launch, but unless they get on top of adding things to do that don't require days to weeks of startup time, and some ways/reasons for people to fight over territory, it is just a large scale star wars replica factory.

And they won't, so RIP to this space game.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

yeah it's not impossible that they could add some things and end up with an interesting game, but it seems more likely that they just run out of money first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The fact that this is the only thread where anyone is posting about it should say enough on its own.

This is the two year old beta launch thread. No one cares. No one will.

:smith:

I didn't even want to bump this thread because it doesn't matter and I'm done spending words on this game after this post, but here it is a week after launch:

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 4, 2022