Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

How can so many different companies all make terrible space games?

Surely at some point someone will realise how to make one that doesn't suck rear end or quickly fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Surely someone likes this game, right? It can't be all bad, there has to be something that's good about it, I mean it's releasing soon, someone tell me something good about it so I can be excited about a new game for once...

Is the asteroid mining good? I do like me some asteroid mining. What about... I dunno, base building. There's no way it can be all bad.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

They added something! The game is saved!

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

FileNotFound posted:

They're basically out of money - that's why they are releasing, and raising the sub price.

The headcount on NQ on LinkedIn is down 25% from 2 years ago.

I except the game to go on life support the second it's released and shut down the moment the server costs exceed the revenue - which could be within the first year.

A game releasing with a monthly sub I'm 2022 is probably a red flag. I mean come on guys, it's the age of dumb cosmetic poo poo and microtransactions, we know you don't need to milk us for more money...

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

FileNotFound posted:

It was always going to be a sub game with the "EVE" model of "Buy your sub with in-game currency from fat whales who buy it for $$$!"

Which all in all isn't a terrible idea - after all it works great for EVE, Black Desert Online and probably other MMOs I had the metal fortitude to stay the gently caress away from.

The price hike though isn't a good sign. My personal take on it is that they are seeing very little "wish listing" activity on Steam and are expecting a minimal number of new subs so they are trying to milk the few fans the game has and the few new joiners as much as possible.

I'm seeing this as Hellgate: London selling the "Lifetime Subscription" for $150 in 2007 just to announce the shutdown in 2008.

Sounds similar to eve actually, squeezing money out of the ever smaller player base with a price hike.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Logic posted:

but one thing that surprises me is the lack of players.

That... doesn't sound very surprising after the things I've heard about in this thread.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

I think there's probably a couple people playing, but don't be hopeful of some huge active goon community.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

zxqv8 posted:

The fact that this is the only thread where anyone is posting about it should say enough on its own.

This is the two year old beta launch thread. No one cares. No one will.

:smith:

I didn't even want to bump this thread because it doesn't matter and I'm done spending words on this game after this post, but here it is a week after launch:

Rip.... I wish it had a chance, but I guess it did and the devs lost it.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Video game reviewers don't know how to play games, (this was proven with far cry 6) so I suggest not believing them and just playing it. Worst case you regret buying it for a couple weeks.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

30.5 Days posted:

I tried to play the demo but the seat of my vehicle didn't work so I couldn't continue the tutorial.

Don't worry it'll be just like no mans sky, in about 4 years it will be fixed and people will love it.

Nvm they'll have ran out of money by then lol.