Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't realize the DPS check in the Sapphire Weapon was a DPS check so I died but hey I got some screenshots.

That little solo quest rocked but I wonder if they're actually gonna do anything more with G-Warrior or if it was a one-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rand Brittain posted:

There is absolutely no way they would ever get their growth spurt without telling everybody in Eorzea.

Alphinaud would tell everyone. Alisae would just make sure everyone noticed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

That little solo quest rocked but I wonder if they're actually gonna do anything more with G-Warrior or if it was a one-off

They talk about it getting upgrades later on so I suspect we'll get at least one or two more Duties with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh man does the alliance raid questline really end on that note of uncertainty?

Anogg and Konogg :smith:

Yoko Taro you did this

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sorry, to spell something out discussed upthread:

Elidibus that we knew & encountered was a primal. (Splintered from Zodiark, embodying & empowered by heroism.)
Original Elidibus, (or well, the Ascian/Amurotian that last held that office?) sacrificed themselves to bring forth Zodiark originally?

But the other Ascians we've encountered, (Emet-Selch) they were not primals, right?

But didn't all the convocation sacrifice themselves for Zodiark, save the 14th?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Elidibus, Emet-Selch, and Lahabrea were the only members of the Convocation whose souls survived the sundering. Elidibus was the Amaurotian Elidibus, but had become a primal of Zodiark's heart kinda in the same way that Yotsuyu became a primal of Tsukuyomi, I think.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Basically my only disappointment with the patch was that they didn't voice that conversation between Lyna and the Exarch before the trial and I think the scene really suffered for it.

Haven't we already had a clown Ascian? Zenos should not be the straight man, it's kind of painful to watch those scenes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While I'm sure there's a bit of meta winking in there I'm also fairly certain Alisaie bemoaning having a lack of development is more of an immediate joke that Tataru didn't rush them their First outfits because they didn't have any major job change from Stormblood to warrant it.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I’ve come around on bored Zenos because I have faith that the writing team won’t just retread his character beats from Stormblood.

Now Fandaniel I am less optimistic about.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Starting the final round of cutscenes and I know this is a big moment and I'm feeling it too...

But I also can't stop thinking about a Curb Your Enthusiasm-style thing where like the WoL drops these soul vessels in a chocobo stable or something, or hilarious body swaps, or

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Waffleman_ posted:

Elidibus, Emet-Selch, and Lahabrea were the only members of the Convocation whose souls survived the sundering. Elidibus was the Amaurotian Elidibus, but had become a primal of Zodiark's heart kinda in the same way that Yotsuyu became a primal of Tsukuyomi, I think.

I think Elidibus was good and gone for a while, sacrificed entirely to Zodiark. The only thing remaining was a primal of the Emissary, Zodiark's saviour of mankind. Ysale and Yotsuyu retained their memories and personalities. Elidibus had none remaining. Also, Zodiark is still more or less around, just sundered and imprisoned. If Elidibus was the host body, he'd be stuck too.

Emet-Selch and Lahabrea were regular Amaurotians that weren't sundered.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Zenos is going to eat Fandaniel.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

What an absolutely incredible ride. Cried at least three times. Loved all of it

Yeah!!!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Potato Jones posted:

Fandaniel is literally doing to Garlemald exactly what Emet-Selch did to it, but he's measurably not as powerful and also he's working with a much less predictable puppet

Zenos is gonna go buck loving wild lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm sorry, his name is Fan Daniel, lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Either Damndaniel or Vansdaniel

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

As I started doing the 'goodbye Norvrandt!' quests, I realized something that made it all the more poignant.

This is the first time the Scions of the Seventh Dawn have saved the day - and then had to leave forever. Every other place they've saved, they can go back to any time they want.

Eorzea? More powerful than ever, now that they've gotten rid of the Garleans and helped gain a buffer country as an ally.
Ishgard? Still there, doing better than ever and no longer telling everyone wandering in to gently caress off.
Doma? They've got a Great Wall that literally can't be permeated, and they've rebuilt their country and economy.
Ala Mhigo? Doing just fine, still fighting the Garleans but with the full support of the entire continent of Eorzea, they're doing great.

But once they leave Norvrandt, saved and restored, they can't ever come back. The Warrior of Light can, but the others are basically pulling a Frodo. And this is the first time in the story that's happened.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The MSQ dungeon was an unexpected feel good moment of the patch that I've been recommending to friends to just run with trusts the first time, just so they can experience it at their own pace. I laughed, I cried, I cheered for joy as Aenc Thon turned a bunch of trash mobs into frogs. Irony of ironies, Giott, who in a previous story related cutscene had tried to teach me, a MNK main of three full expansions, how to punch things, MNK LB3'd the last set of trash before the final boss. Sold.

Though word of caution: trusts are programmed to move to pre-determined positions for stack markers, and if you happen to be animation locked by, say, doing a limit break while you're targeted by one during the final boss, instead of running to your aid they just...run to the pre-determined position and let you get murked.

Seto getting to share a tender moment with Ardbert at the end of the MSQ broke me.

So speculation about Fandaniel before this patch was all over the place, besides him having taken control of Asahi's body because that was revealed pretty early by data-miners. His mask makes him out like an ascian, but the story implies he's not an unsundered one. So I guess the ascian plot lives on, just maybe not one related to the original goal of Emet/Elidibus/that other nerd?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah they really should have put the emphasis on the last syllable of the name so that that it was pronounced like "von-don-E-el" or something like that, we'd all still laugh at him but at least it wouldn't be his actual name

But hey if he turns out to be a great character we're all gonna be Dan's Fans

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was always one of the goofier Scion of Light names.

I can't wait for some to have to say "Deudalaphon" multiple times in a sentence. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So speculation about Fandaniel before this patch was all over the place, besides him having taken control of Asahi's body because that was revealed pretty early by data-miners. His mask makes him out like an ascian, but the story implies he's not an unsundered one. So I guess the ascian plot lives on, just maybe not one related to the original goal of Emet/Elidibus/that other nerd?

Elidibus, Emet-Selch, and Lahabrea were the only unsundered Ascians. Everyone else was a fractured soul they brought into the fold.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The general idea is that something along the line of a bit less than half a dozen "sundered" Ascians remain - by current count, it should be Fandaniel, Deudalaphon, Pashtarot, Halmarut and Altima, with question marks as to whether the Unsundered were able to appoint a new Loghrif or Mitron before going kersplooey themselves. With no Unsundered left, the remaining sundered Ascians are basically on their last lives; if something happens to them, that's it, the plan is 100% over and Zodiark is donezo. So the next expac will likely detail the efforts of the survivors to bring about an end to things one way or the other, because the plan is now well and truly in tatters, and it's do or die time for what Ascians remain.

For 1.x vets, I also suspect there's a nonzero chance we'll finally get some face time with our old buddy Travanchet again at long last.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

As I started doing the 'goodbye Norvrandt!' quests, I realized something that made it all the more poignant.

This is the first time the Scions of the Seventh Dawn have saved the day - and then had to leave forever. Every other place they've saved, they can go back to any time they want.

Eorzea? More powerful than ever, now that they've gotten rid of the Garleans and helped gain a buffer country as an ally.
Ishgard? Still there, doing better than ever and no longer telling everyone wandering in to gently caress off.
Doma? They've got a Great Wall that literally can't be permeated, and they've rebuilt their country and economy.
Ala Mhigo? Doing just fine, still fighting the Garleans but with the full support of the entire continent of Eorzea, they're doing great.

But once they leave Norvrandt, saved and restored, they can't ever come back. The Warrior of Light can, but the others are basically pulling a Frodo. And this is the first time in the story that's happened.

To be fair, Y'shtola does mention she intends to work on a way to cross worlds again.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Also I don't know if this is true or not, but does Hildibrand actually show up as a summoned shade of light during the MSQ dungeon or is Reddit just getting my hopes up again?

I want to see best boy Hildy again before the next expansion drops. :smith:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just gonna list out the Ascians just so we know who's still running around:

Loghrif - Killed by Ardbert's crew
Mitron - Killed by Ardbert's crew
Emet-Selch - Killed by WoL
Pashtarot - ????? Title: Knight-Star
Fandaniel - Hanging out with Zenos, Title: the Protector
Halmarut - ????, Title: the Arbiter
Nabriales - Killed by Scions
Igeyorhm - Killed together with Lahabrea
Deudalaphon - ????, Title: the Benevolent
Emmerololth - Killed in Eureka
Lahabrea - Double dead
Elidbus - Killed by WoL
Unknown Ascian associated with Ultima/Virgo/Light - ???????

These are the main ones that match up with the Scions from Ivalice, but there's also Travanchet who's currently MIA, and the last we heard of him was showing up in flashbacks for Alexander. It's possible he was just one of the above though.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 12, 2020

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Also I don't know if this is true or not, but does Hildibrand actually show up as a summoned shade of light during the MSQ dungeon or is Reddit just getting my hopes up again?

I want to see best boy Hildy again before the next expansion drops. :smith:

I think you have to beat the last trash pack (the Paladin Giott Final Heavens) and then run back to the start for him to spawn in? A bunch of WoLs get ported in after you beat that pack, I was looking for him when I got the dungeon in EXDR and didn't see him but I also didn't run back to the start of the Lakeland session to check

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh, I just realized that the shade who summons you back from the void is probably the shade of Emet-Selch, which is why he's doing his trademark sassy handwave. I thought it was Hydlothaeus for some reason.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Best part of the patch was the emet hand wave

nothing else to add

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
getting the twins ready for 6.0
https://imgur.com/kwVkvOO.mp4

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

Basically my only disappointment with the patch was that they didn't voice that conversation between Lyna and the Exarch before the trial and I think the scene really suffered for it.

Haven't we already had a clown Ascian? Zenos should not be the straight man, it's kind of painful to watch those scenes.

We HAD a clown Ascian, but Lahabrea has been dead for a while now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Slider posted:

Best part of the patch was the emet hand wave

nothing else to add

Someone in the FC screencapped my reaction to that exact moment lol

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

If you're an utter monster and reply "..." instead of "G'raha, really?" at the very end, his ears -droop- instead of perking up.

I'm not going to post a screenshot of this mindless violence, just wanted to point it out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What the gently caress

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

His full name is "Fan, Daniel, back at it again with the white robes." Please don't make fun of him

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
First time I’ve experienced new story fresh from a patch and it was well worth the wait.

Maybe I’m overthinking things, but are we totally sure Elidibus is gone forever? We previously trapped Ascian souls in white auracite to hold them, but then still had to destroy them. G’raha used the Tower itself as if it were auracite, he says, but wouldn’t that mean Elidibus is still in there somewhere? Or is it different because he was a primal and not really his original self?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Scaramouche, scaramouche, we are killing Fandaniel

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Potato Jones posted:

Frankly I was fully expecting him to not even make it out of that scene alive

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
I like how there's some additional symbolism to Azem's seat being deliberately left vacant. It was the only position that concerned affairs outside Amaurot, so by refusing to acknowledge it, the Convocation basically said "screw everyone that aren't us". And we know how that ended.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey, so how many data files did folks find in the Nier Raid Part 2. Because I found 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Somebody mentioned Urianger talking about some stuff back on the Source-- where is that? Where's he hiding out at.