Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The insane narrative that everyone hated Eureka when it was just loud westerners on Reddit and here ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ImpAtom posted:

Eureka had BA which is and remains my favorite piece of content in the game so no.

BA came out in the end of Stormblood, which is after multiple patches and tweaks to Eureka. When it launched 3 patches prior it was universally maligned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

BA came out in the end of Stormblood, which is after multiple patches and tweaks to Eureka.

So are you discussing Eureka as a whole or literally only Eureka Anemos as it launched.

Because I actually liked Eureka Anemos more than Pagos. There was a shitton of cosmetics and loot to collect, it was pretty easy to max out all your tier 1 weapons, and in general I had more fun with it than Pagos and Pyros.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just Anemos as it launched. Maybe saying literally every single person had the good taste to dislike it is hyperbole, but it's one of the most universally disliked pieces of content SE released into the game. But SE does as SE does and tweaked it, and improved the later sets.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do you have a single source to back that claim up? - JC Denton.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Because I clearly remember memes about how it's only the loud westerners crying and the JP datacenters were having quite the good time. Even at launch Ameneos.

And, hell. I had a ton of fun with it too and it was filled to the brim with people chatting and having a good time on Primal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just Anemos as it launched. Maybe saying literally every single person had the good taste to dislike it is hyperbole, but it's one of the most universally disliked pieces of content SE released into the game. But SE does as SE does and tweaked it, and improved the later sets.

People seemed to enjoy Anemos at launch from what I recall. Like some people got annoyed but mostly it was a big goofy zone where you made nonstop bear puns in chat, got a ton of loot, and got your 'revive people out of combat' achievement in ten minutes. There was a lot more negativity around Pagos (which is TBH where like 90% of people's big complaints about Eureka surfaced) and Pyros was clearly a retreat back to Anemos's style after Pagos' sleepy dragons and cliff drops.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Eureka had BA which is and remains my favorite piece of content in the game so no.

No it didn't. That was 3 more iterations unto eureka. Launch anemos was hunt train where the enemy would just disappear from your screen and aoes wouldn't show on your side because they hadn't sorted out model culling correctly at the time.

Then it was launch pagos and that was launch pagos.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Just Anemos as it launched. Maybe saying literally every single person had the good taste to dislike it is hyperbole, but it's one of the most universally disliked pieces of content SE released into the game.

No, that was HW Diadem.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I actually know more people who liked the first Diadem better than Anemos. Gathers mostly, and they lived in diadem, but a few went in for the sky scrips or whatever you got from the fates. They dropped off a bit when the second release came out. Granted, that wasn't a high number of people either.

I only stepped foot in it a couple times so can't really comment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No it didn't. That was 3 more iterations unto eureka. Launch anemos was hunt train where the enemy would just disappear from your screen and aoes wouldn't show on your side because they hadn't sorted out model culling correctly at the time.

Then it was launch pagos and that was launch pagos.

That is why it owned though. It was like Red Chocobos before Red Chocobos.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't think that anyone would disagree that Pagos had problems.

Anemos, Pyros, and Hydatos were all pretty good from the start though. All three are also better than either Bozja zone.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I actually know more people who liked the first Diadem better than Anemos. Gathers mostly, and they lived in diadem, but a few went in for the sky scrips or whatever you got from the fates. They dropped off a bit when the second release came out. Granted, that wasn't a high number of people either.

I only stepped foot in it a couple times so can't really comment.

My most vivid memory of 3.1 Diadem was everyone in the zone piling in on the Brachiosaur FATE and a sudden realization hitting me when it started casting Meteor. I do think it's funny that you just never see those dinosaur models again unless you do deep dungeon or that one CE in Zadnor.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Vitamean posted:

My most vivid memory of 3.1 Diadem was everyone in the zone piling in on the Brachiosaur FATE and a sudden realization hitting me when it started casting Meteor. I do think it's funny that you just never see those dinosaur models again unless you do deep dungeon or that one CE in Zadnor.

That's the same as mine. I remember we'd just ran around to find all the aethercurrents to fly. Then all the groups met up to fight a Brachiosaur, and Meteor happened.

It was a pretty huge model if I remember correctly too. It is weird that the model has so little usage elsewhere.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
my bigger memory of the meteor dino is how it took a full party in savage gear going full blast for like 10 minutes of a dummy parse (because there weren't any mechanics besides meteor) just to get silver

and probably a garbage piece of aetherial gear that you didn't know wouldn't be necessary for the next tier because the concept of crafted pre-raid gear would only come out with the next patch

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 6, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's such a weird thing to look back on, even just to see what concepts were refined and brought into Eureka and Bozja. Like the little final boss fight in the second Diadem being an early stab at BA and later CLL/Dalriada. It was the first time since, I dunno, Northern Thanalan FATE farming? that you'd see a bunch of people just kind of hanging out in a zone while doing combat content and it carried on into exploratory zones and the Firmament ranking periods. I sorely missed it during EW, so I'm super excited for whatever they got cooking up for both the new exploratory zone and whatever the expanded lifestyle zone they're working on.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know that there was some discontent about Anemos because otherwise they wouldn't have added the Eureka challenge logs that were not in at start.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mostly just didn’t find Eureka fun. I got the buff cloak so I know what to do but it’s basically just getting on the train, right? It just doesn’t seem much fun to me.

If they can make something like this that’s more appealing to casual asses like me I am down. It seems doable just not easy

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Nessus posted:

I mostly just didn’t find Eureka fun. I got the buff cloak so I know what to do but it’s basically just getting on the train, right? It just doesn’t seem much fun to me.

If they can make something like this that’s more appealing to casual asses like me I am down. It seems doable just not easy
The gameplay in Eureka is not very compelling, generally speaking. People have to kill specific enemies to spawn bosses but bosses can only spawn every two hours or so. People tend to spawn bosses in bunches so you'll get a 30 minute train that kills all of the bosses going then the zone will go quiet until the timers are back up. You can do some grinding for experience in-between, or leave and come back later. It's not for everyone and that's okay! But there are things that are only in Eureka so some people will suffer through the experience to get them; like I know several people that saw the Ozma mount as sprouts and wanted it, which requires completing Eureka's four zones and the raid dungeon inside the last zone.

The fun part for Eureka for me, as I mentioned in a previous post, is running around in a zone with a bunch of other people killing stuff and chatting while doing so. FFXIV mostly has combat in 4 or 8 person instances so I enjoy Eureka and Bozja being zones for 20+ people to run around doing stuff.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think most of the changes they made for Bozja are solid. If I could revert two things it'd be making maps more open again (if they want to restrict CE participation just do it off of level instead of quest progress) and find a different way to do Delubrum. I'd still love for there to be a savage multi-alliance instance - especially one that you can queue directly into instead of how BA worked - but after the content dies off people should be able to progress without having to beg in PF or whatever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That is why it owned though. It was like Red Chocobos before Red Chocobos.

No you could actually see the red chocobos. And the red chocobos werent built around a system of grinding mobs like it was ff11 but with a combat system that required 15x the inputs per second like launch anemos was before the weekly challenge logs and getting mounts early was added in.

Pyros was the first bit of eureka that launched in a decent state and even that was just decent because the NM fights are all mostly boring like typical hunt targets and it took awhile before you got to where the action material grind became a lovely vertical wall of you were going for a relic.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 6, 2024

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
eureka and bozja are so hated that next expansion will have the third iteration of that content. you know, the thing you do when people hate something

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

eureka and bozja are so hated that next expansion will have the third iteration of that content. you know, the thing you do when people hate something

I mean diadem was hated and it's the precursor to eureka

They've gotten better with each iteration but that doesn't mean they were scuffed at launch and that people didn't have issues with them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

And people immediately decided Endwalker was bad when it didn't have one

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean diadem was hated and it's the precursor to eureka

They've gotten better with each iteration but that doesn't mean they were scuffed at launch and that people didn't have issues with them.

"the content was flawed and improved on" and "everyone actually hated the content" are two entirely different things.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's weird because I think EW has had some of the best new and updated content (variants/criterion, eureka orthos is prob my favorite iteration of deep dungeon, some excellent raid floors), but I do all of them with friends at scheduled times. Not having something I can dip into like Eureka or Bozja really killed a lot of my motivation to log in to the game outside of those.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, especially right now with so many games I've been looking forward to coming out. But I think especially if COSMIC EXPLORATION and the new field ops are good I'm not gonna look back too fondly on this expac's patch content.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's obviously not content for everyone. It's ok to not like everything in the game. Unless you're that Japanese player who got 100% of the achievements

They will never ever do this but I think it would be neat if they tied ALL of the optional content for an expansion- the normal and alliance raids, trials, battle zone- together into a single massive sidequest. It would let them tell a much bigger story while still keeping it separate from the msq for the babies who refuse to do optional things

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 6, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I did think briefly how fun it'd be if instead of a Delubrum-like dungeon splitting two halves of the exploratory zone it was the deep dungeon or a variant or something. But then there wouldn't be a multi-alliance savage version :(

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

They absolutely need to find a way to overhaul the Bozja raids, its crazy that there is basically a whole additional alliance series to do that nobody does because the system is such rear end to form a group to

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know what to tell you guys, but DR is run very often on my server, I can do it two or three times per day if I check PF. Probably a fourth time if I made the Party Finder entry myself.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Yeah, if you're just trying to hard queue for it, you're in Fate's hands, but if you make a PF for it, you can get a group together really easy in my experience.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

My favorite is when the PL is a huge control freak and checks every party member for the correct essences/actions beforehand and will ragequit if the queue pops early (meaning someone not in the original party was hard-queueing for DR and will be joining us in the instance) because the presence of an additional person will gently caress up the echo and make the run take slightly longer.

not an extra 10 min queue longer, mind you lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah that's why I don't join PFs for it, they all say to bring the right essences and know what to do, and buddy I have no idea what to do. The one time I did DR it took over an hour.

Why yes I did get fifteen timeworn artifacts from PotD and then vowed to never make another ShB relic

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I just buy the irregular essence for the one job I DR with off the marketboard

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah that's why I don't join PFs for it, they all say to bring the right essences and know what to do, and buddy I have no idea what to do. The one time I did DR it took over an hour.
The most basic thing for DR is to bring an essence that makes you do more damage. There are cheap essences that make you do like 20% more damage so you should at least use one of those.

DR also has extremely strong essences that can only be used in DR. These are what you should use if you can afford to buy the fragments from the market board or from Bozjan Clusters. For example, the melee pure essence gives +60% damage and the caster+ranged physical pure essences give +50% damage.

There's other good stuff you can do based on what role you're on but +damage essences are the main thing. I don't know how fast an 8 person run with good actions goes, but during ShB a full 24 person group with good essences and such would clear in under 20 minutes.

edit: \/ I was trying not to present too much information which might scare someone that isn't familiar with the system :) I played a lot of caster so if I wasn't on Flare Star then I was on Elder + Cure 4 (full party Bravery) duty

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 7, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The "Pure" DR-only essences also have undocumented extra effects with certain Lost Actions. Like, there's an action that gives you a 55% damage boost for 15 seconds while rapidly draining your HP. With the melee Pure Essence (+60% damage and defence, +80%HP) that boost lasts for 30 seconds and the health drain is reduced to a single HP per tick. Absolutely devastating.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Do not bring pure defensive essences into DR. Due to Twice Come Ruin, they will not save you. Also, the healer green essence gives you less damage than just chugging an Aetherweaver.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And people wonder why some people find this system confusing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I won't argue that it's not confusing, I just think it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

YggiDee posted:

I won't argue that it's not confusing, I just think it's fun

Maybe fun for some. But I think it loving sucks. A lot of the pain would be mitigated by allowing these actions to be permanent instead of consumable. But it still only detracts from any potential enjoyment for me.